CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Other Codes and Standards

Old 06-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question Fire Alarm

Hi all,
I have to install pull out switch for alarm bell and I need to know if anyone knows the regulations, height etc., plus if it needs to be connected to system to call fire department when you pull the switch. I called the local fire department, but they did not get back to me yet and I need to finish estimate.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Martin

martinkulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,102

Call the fire department when you pull the switch?? Okey-dokey.

You'll find the mounting dimensions you need in the ADAAG.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...8ApUw-T9q-uXog

MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Pull station -I would match the switch height at the current location.

Is this an addition to a current system? If so, it will most likely already be set up to call the fire department. Go to the annunciator panel and check it out.
Shaffer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer87 View Post
Pull station -I would match the switch height at the current location.

Is this an addition to a current system? If so, it will most likely already be set up to call the fire department. Go to the annunciator panel and check it out.

pull stations have to meet A.D.A. specs....42" aff....horns/strobes 80" aff to top...NO HIGHER....(F.D. will pull out a tape measure and check). Can't just keep adding horn/strobes to an existing circuit, and is it a class one or class two system?..Where is the end of the line resistor at? all things to look for
prldrp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 2,794
Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by prldrp1 View Post
pull stations have to meet A.D.A. specs....42" aff....horns/strobes 80" aff to top...NO HIGHER....(F.D. will pull out a tape measure and check). Can't just keep adding horn/strobes to an existing circuit, and is it a class one or class two system?..Where is the end of the line resistor at? all things to look for
actually, the strobe has to be 80" AFF to the bottom of the strobe.here is an excerpt from ADA Title III Reg 28 CFR 36 (http://www.ada.gov/reg3a.html#Anchor-16621)

4.28.3* Visual Alarms.Visual alarm signal appliances shall be integrated into the building or facility alarm system. If single station audible alarms are provided then single station visual alarm signals shall be provided. Visual alarm signals shall have the following minimum photometric and location features:

(1) The lamp shall be a xenon strobe type or equivalent.
(2) The color shall be clear or nominal white (i.e., unfiltered or clear filtered white light).
(3) The maximum pulse duration shall be two-tenths of one second (0.2 sec) with a maximum duty cycle of 40 percent. The pulse duration is defined as the time interval between initial and final points of 10 percent of maximum signal.
(4) The intensity shall be a minimum of 75 candela.
(5) The flash rate shall be a minimum of 1 Hz and a maximum of 3 Hz.
(6) The appliance shall be placed 80 in (2030 mm) above the highest floor level within the space or 6 in (152 mm) below the ceiling, whichever is lower.
(7) In general, no place in any room or space required to have a visual signal appliance shall be more than 50 ft (15 m) from the signal (in the horizontal plane). In large rooms and spaces exceeding 100 ft (30 m) across, without obstructions 6 ft (2 m) above the finish floor, such as auditoriums, devices may be placed around the perimeter, spaced a maximum 100 ft (30 m) apart, in lieu of suspending appliances from the ceiling
Fatal error: Using $this sht!ck when not in object context in /home/electric/public_html/includes/functions_newpost.php(1471) : eval()'d code on line 1 will DO ELECTRICAL SHOES ! FrunkSlammer has just sent you -2676 points to use in the rewards store!
wildleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Electrical Savant

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by prldrp1 View Post
I don't see anything about the mounting height being to the top of the appliance. All I see is 80" AFF.

4.28.3* Visual Alarms. Visual alarm signal appliances shall be integrated into the building or facility alarm system. If single station audible alarms are provided then single station visual alarm signals shall be provided. Visual alarm signals shall have the following minimum photometric and location features:
(1) The lamp shall be a xenon strobe type or equivalent.
(2) The color shall be clear or nominal white (i.e., unfiltered or clear filtered white light).
(3) The maximum pulse duration shall be two-tenths of one second (0.2 sec) with a maximum duty cycle of 40 percent. The pulse duration is defined as the time interval between initial and final points of 10 percent of maximum signal.
(4) The intensity shall be a minimum of 75 candela.
(5) The flash rate shall be a minimum of 1 Hz and a maximum of 3 Hz.
(6) The appliance shall be placed 80 in (2030 mm) above the highest floor level within the space or 6 in (152 mm) below the ceiling, whichever is lower.
(7) In general, no place in any room or space required to have a visual signal appliance shall be more than 50 ft (15 m) from the signal (in the horizontal plane). In large rooms and spaces exceeding 100 ft (30 m) across, without obstructions 6 ft (2 m) above the finish floor, such as auditoriums, devices may be placed around the perimeter, spaced a maximum 100 ft (30 m) apart, in lieu of suspending appliances from the ceiling.
(8) No place in common corridors or hallways in which visual alarm signalling appliances are required shall be more than 50 ft (15 m) from the signal.
lectricboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #7

tell the alarm monitor company to put the system in standby/test mode... then go play with the MPS!
slowforthecones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinkulik View Post
Hi all,
I have to install pull out switch for alarm bell and I need to know if anyone knows the regulations, height etc., plus if it needs to be connected to system to call fire department when you pull the switch. I called the local fire department, but they did not get back to me yet and I need to finish estimate.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Martin
No offense but if you don't know the basics of heights, monitored system and etc....to be installing fMPS, strobes, horns and etc.... you probably have no biz trying to give a estimate!! I think we have a "Hack" in the house.
slowforthecones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
Pure Evil

Rewards Points: 2,640

Hack, hack, hack.

drsparky is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire alarm, fire alarm bell, fire alarm switch