Fixed storefront commercial Signs - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Other Codes and Standards

Like Tree20Likes

Old 04-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 274
Default Fixed storefront commercial Signs

Does anyone know if it is legal for electricians to install signs ? ( building , lighted, retail fixed store front signs) ?

Obviously we wire them , but do we need a builders license to install them ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WronGun is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by WronGun View Post
Does anyone know if it is legal for electricians to install signs ? ( building , lighted, retail fixed store front signs) ?

Yes and No depending on which states you are located and as far I know there is seperated license to address on sign installment but not need it for repair or mantanice that what I know of .,,

If other know about they can add to my comment on this.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #3
still in business

Rewards Points: 2,790

When you do not honestly fill out your profile these can be very hard to answer.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 25,510

Quote:

You'd have to check with the local inspection department but I'd say off hand as long as you take out a building permit you'd be good.

How hard can it be to hang one if a sign guy can do it?
99cents and splatz like this.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
You'd have to check with the local inspection department but I'd say off hand as long as you take out a building permit you'd be good.

How hard can it be to hang one if a sign guy can do it?

Not hard at all actually

Old 04-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
still in business

Quote:
Not hard at all actually

So did you hang it in your "jurisdiction"?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #7

Yes I did , needless to say I didn't pull a permit ....this was about 6 months ago now... I pull many more permits now compared to when I was starting out

Old 04-11-2017, 11:18 PM   #8
Deplorable-Electrician

Quote:
Yes I did , needless to say I didn't pull a permit ....this was about 6 months ago now... I pull many more permits now compared to when I was starting out

May that never come back to bite you!
telsa likes this.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:40 PM   #9
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 3,384

If it is Neon, then an additional level of electrical license is required here , not just any sparky is allowed , same goes for splicing high voltage cable.

Of course we can attach wire nuts from the branch circuit wiring to the primary leads for the fixture, but not the internal fixture wiring.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:59 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,189

You need a C-45 license.
telsa likes this.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #11
Deplorable-Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
If it is Neon, then an additional level of electrical license is required here , not just any sparky is allowed , same goes for splicing high voltage cable.

Of course we can attach wire nuts from the branch circuit wiring to the primary leads for the fixture, but not the internal fixture wiring.
From his question I would trust he was concerned with hanging it and not building it's internals from scratch.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #12

Default Fixed storefront commercial Signs

Quote:
From his question I would trust he was concerned with hanging it and not building it's internals from scratch.

To be honest I had the box letters and raceway built and completed everything else myself ....driver , LED's, wiring ... it came out great and sparked interest from other businesses in the area which is why this question was posted....I work closely with a sign guy which gives me the ability to sell and have signs semi-built. Then I do all the interior wiring , build and installation.. it was actually very profitable and did most of the work during slow times in my shop.

Now I know i probably shouldn't be doing this ! Lol or at least figure out a way To do it legally because i actually enjoyed it

MechanicalDVR and telsa like this.

Last edited by WronGun; 04-12-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,204

Maybe things are different elsewhere but the one permit you usually can't get away with skipping - is a sign in town. Think about it a second, it's a sign, people are going to see it
MechanicalDVR and telsa like this.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Maybe things are different elsewhere but the one permit you usually can't get away with skipping - is a sign in town. Think about it a second, it's a sign, people are going to see it

Your absolute right ! I went last night to look at 2 sign installs with my sign guy and our first stop was to the town hall for a sign design hearing. A room with 4 town workers asking the most minute details about the sign before approving it .... that's what got me a little worried.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #15
still in business

I have to take out a separate sign permit but anyone can do it. I thought new signs had to be UL listed though.
WronGun likes this.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #16
Deplorable-Electrician

Quote:
To be honest I had the box letters and raceway built and completed everything else myself ....driver , LED's, wiring ... it came out great and sparked interest from other businesses in the area which is why this question was posted....I work closely with a sign guy which gives me the ability to sell and have signs semi-built. Then I do all the interior wiring , build and installation.. it was actually very profitable and did most of the work during slow times in my shop.

Now I know i probably shouldn't be doing this ! Lol or at least figure out a way To do it legally because i actually enjoyed it

Could be a nice profitable little niche for you!
WronGun and splatz like this.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #17
Deplorable-Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
I have to take out a separate sign permit but anyone can do it. I thought new signs had to be UL listed though.
I seriously doubt that. There are so many sign shops that fab things up from various parts, they aren't going to have a UL rating on the assembled internal wiring menagerie.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 276

Quote:
I seriously doubt that. There are so many sign shops that fab things up from various parts, they aren't going to have a UL rating on the assembled internal wiring menagerie.
Unless there is a specific rule exempting signs, wouldn't sign shops have to have their sign assemblies approved and have a UL number for them to be legal to install? I have seen UL/CSA decals on signs that I have worked on.
mitch65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 12

I know a guy that used to work in a sign shop and yes they do have to have their stuff UL listed. He told me they have random tests done every so often where they will test an assembly and then the rest of their stuff is covered. I think it is yearly certification. And it's not cheap!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Forge Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #20
Deplorable-Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch65 View Post
Unless there is a specific rule exempting signs, wouldn't sign shops have to have their sign assemblies approved and have a UL number for them to be legal to install? I have seen UL/CSA decals on signs that I have worked on.
I've done service work in two very large sign shops. It's possible that many of the light sub assemblies that they stock are approved but the way they often cobble those units together inside a large sign are they still approved?

I've worked in some of the shops long enough to see a sign completed and just put on a truck to be hung the next day. Not even a boss in the shop looks at the internals of the finished product.

I've removed a few signs that looked like a kid put them together in his back yard.