"Permanent" shunts in place of meter??? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Linework

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By wildleg
  • 1 Post By HackWork

Old 04-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Default "Permanent" shunts in place of meter???

So, here’s a new one to me… I’ve got a customer who wants to change out the FP load center in her home. Outside, I noticed that the meter base on the home had a clear plastic closeout. The triplex from the house’s mast is running to a mast on the shop/garage. This is connected to a 100A breaker in the shop’s load center (see pics).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzh2H9yHZ0uMbHBDVGxOYjBWdFk
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzh2H9yHZ0uMRDZCckVGU0VYLXc

Looking through the houses meter base’s clear plastic closeout reveals two “shunts” in place of the meter. The meter base is essentially a junction box.
Should I leave it alone and just replace the home’s panel?
cdw904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,806

Is there no meter at all on the property? Sounds like someone is getting some free power!
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
Click Here

Rewards Points: 1,502

By your diagram, everything looks fine. At one time the house was connected direction to the utility company and the meter was in use. But now the house is connected to the shop, so the shop's meter is metering the house. The house no longer needs a meter so it is bypassed.

You can remove the meter if you want, or leave it the way it is.
Navyguy, Switched, splatz and 1 others like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 462

it is unlikely that anyone would perform this work without seeing the situation. That kind of puts you on the hook with the licensing board, if they decided to throw you under the bus (for whatever reason), regardless as to whether it is a gray area or not under the licensing or ethics rules.

For that reason, you have a problem.
cdw904 likes this.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
Is there no meter at all on the property? Sounds like someone is getting some free power!
Sorry for my haste. I didn't indicate that there IS a meter on the shop. It is the only meter serving the property.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
By your diagram, everything looks fine. At one time the house was connected direction to the utility company and the meter was in use. But now the house is connected to the shop, so the shop's meter is metering the house. The house no longer needs a meter so it is bypassed.

You can remove the meter if you want, or leave it the way it is.
I clicked on the link and only saw the meter bars.....
Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
Click Here

Rewards Points: 1,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
I clicked on the link and only saw the meter bars.....
I see 2 links. The top one goes to a diagram.

Try this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...HBDVGxOYjBWdFk
Switched likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #8

I should slow down when I post or be more clear. My bad. One is photo of my sketch/diagram and the other is a photo of what the "shunts' look like.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw904 View Post
I should slow down when I post or be more clear. My bad. One is photo of my sketch/diagram and the other is a photo of what the "shunts' look like.
I can see them. They were so close together that when I clicked on it it just kept opening the picture, not the drawing.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,238

Since the house is fed from two phases of a three phase system, is it 208 or is it 240? And if it is 240, you're not changing anything except the house panel right?

You should use a full sized neutral as well.
RePhase277 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #11

^^ Doh! That's what I meant. 240VAC. I deal with 3-Phase so seldom that I didn't think it out before I typed 220. I believe the house is fed 240VAC via Phase A and C. The neutral is there.

Correct, only changing the house panel.

I'm just evaluating the setup at this point. Jealous that this residential has 3-phase available!!!