Ceiling fan light - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Lighting Design

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By papaotis
  • 1 Post By 3DDesign

Old 11-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Default Ceiling fan light

I have a problem I can't figure out. There are 3 ceiling fans all different brands at different homes all with the same problem. One bulb out of the three keeps blowing. Sometimes right away sometimes weeks but always the same one. I've checked the bulbs all 3 fans are using the right watts and are rated for fan usage. I've checked inside the specific sockets and they all seem fine no visual damage. It's the small type of socket so I can't get my meter leads in there to test it. I did however cheked the line voltage and it's 120v. I checked the socket connections in the fixture and there all still crimped nice and tight. One of the 3 fans have been replaced and it still has the problem. What else am I missing.
Dizzykidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 14,654

Bulb quality has gone way down.

You're not feeding these puppies replacements from the exact same batch, are you ?
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
Click Here

Rewards Points: 1,390

That one light might be a little bit looser than the rest and the movement might be causing it to blow. I fixed this issue many times in the past by having the customer install CFL's. Nowadays you should instal LEDs.
Service Call and Majewski like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
That one light might be a little bit looser than the rest and the movement might be causing it to blow. I fixed this issue many times in the past by having the customer install CFL's. Nowadays you should instal LEDs.
Bingo on the LEDs....now when those start failing, you have my interest.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Bulb quality has gone way down.

You're not feeding these puppies replacements from the exact same batch, are you ?
i dont believe they are using the same brand i could be wrong though. I guess i never checked
Dizzykidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:34 PM   #6
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
on a bad connection, why would a different type bulb matter? oh, never mind, i get your point
Old 11-05-2016, 11:40 PM   #7
Click Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaotis View Post
on a bad connection, why would a different type bulb matter? oh, never mind, i get your point
I don't know if it's a bad connection or just the vibration, but something is causing the filament of a normal bulb to break and that won't happen with CFL or LED.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:47 PM   #8
corn-fused

thats true, but very strange that the same bulb keeps blowing. that sounds like a bad connection such as the 'tab' at the bottom of socket is too compressed.you know, bend it up. and a bad connection there wouldnt matter what kind of bulb it was, except that other that incandescent, it might last longer?
Old 11-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #9
Click Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaotis View Post
thats true, but very strange that the same bulb keeps blowing. that sounds like a bad connection such as the 'tab' at the bottom of socket is too compressed.you know, bend it up. and a bad connection there wouldnt matter what kind of bulb it was, except that other that incandescent, it might last longer?
I still believe it is the vibration. Over the years I have cured a lot of people's issues of bulbs blowing frequently in fans by telling them to use CFLs.

Maybe that one light on the fan is a bit loose and that's why that bulb blows more than the others?
telsa likes this.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:54 PM   #10
corn-fused

speaking of vibration(dont go there) i talked to the ho of that ghost neutral and i will going back to double check!
Majewski likes this.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,628

Open the light kit and remove the wattage limiter. It probably looks like a rectangular module with line, load, neutral connected to the light conductors.
Majewski likes this.