First Lotus LED install. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Lighting Design

Like Tree15Likes

Old 10-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
EC & CI

Rewards Points: 572
Default First Lotus LED install.

So after reading about the Lotus LED's here I had a job that I wanted to put 4" recessed lighting in all the bedrooms on a second floor with insulation

The ceiling joists are only 2x6 and there is hard duct work & an air handler laying on top of the joists where many of my recessed lighting would go.
I just decided it might be easier to try out the Lotus. I found a place near me that I could order from and got the 4" round slim 3000K and put 16 of them in.

I like them. I bit more money than buying a can and LED trim, but I think the installation went just a little quicker and they look good.
I used my new Hole Pro X https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to make the 16 holes and what a big help that was.
I'm kicking myself for not getting one a long time ago.
I don't think I will be using the Lotus all the time, however they have their uses and I'm satisfied with the installation.
HackWork and PlugsAndLights like this.
Kaffeene is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 196

I have a house I am roughing right now that the customer wants cans, but there is a TJI in the way in a hallway. I am pitching lotus lights, and will most likely give them a go.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
Click Here

Rewards Points: 1,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffeene View Post
So after reading about the Lotus LED's here I had a job that I wanted to put 4" recessed lighting in all the bedrooms on a second floor with insulation

The ceiling joists are only 2x6 and there is hard duct work & an air handler laying on top of the joists where many of my recessed lighting would go.
I just decided it might be easier to try out the Lotus. I found a place near me that I could order from and got the 4" round slim 3000K and put 16 of them in.

I like them. I bit more money than buying a can and LED trim, but I think the installation went just a little quicker and they look good.
I used my new Hole Pro X https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to make the 16 holes and what a big help that was.
I'm kicking myself for not getting one a long time ago.
I don't think I will be using the Lotus all the time, however they have their uses and I'm satisfied with the installation.
Did you have any that ended up being right under a joist?

How did the 3000K look? People often prefer 2700K in bedrooms.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 6,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post

For the 4", you have to put them a little off centre from the joist to fit the driver through the hole. I use mostly 3000K with no issues.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
Yeah Toast!!

Rewards Points: 1,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
For the 4", you have to put them a little off centre from the joist to fit the driver through the hole. I use mostly 3000K with no issues.
Does the driver just sit on top of the finish ceiling?
Roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger123 View Post
Does the driver just sit on top of the finish ceiling?
Yes. Although the drivers are supposed to be good in thermal insulation, I'm suspicious. I have a callback this week to look at two burnouts. They're Lotus knock offs, though, not the real thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
Roger123 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 10:24 PM   #7
EC & CI

Quote:

No I measured everything and used a beam finder and it all worked out in open bays.
The 3000K looked pretty good. I noticed they ramp up a little when you first turn on the dimmer switch. I used a Lutron Diva CL dimmer.

I usually like to go for 2700K, but a few customers have wanted the brighter white. This customer was happy with the color.

Oh and I purchased these from Grant in Hackensack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaffeene For This Useful Post:
HackWork (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
Click Here

Quote:
No I measured everything and used a beam finder and it all worked out in open bays.
The 3000K looked pretty good. I noticed they ramp up a little when you first turn on the dimmer switch. I used a Lutron Diva CL dimmer.

I usually like to go for 2700K, but a few customers have wanted the brighter white. This customer was happy with the color.

Oh and I purchased these from Grant in Hackensack.
I am curious why you used the beam finder, it seems like you were trying to avoid the joists. I thought the whole point of using the slim models was so that you can put them anywhere, even under the joists?

I'm just curious is all.

Oh and does the Grant in Hackensack always stock them? Cause I just asked at the Grant in Belleville and they don't have any in stock nor could he give me a price for them
Old 10-18-2016, 11:46 PM   #9
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 1,366

I can't seem to find these anywhere local, only online.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #10
EC & CI

Quote:
I am curious why you used the beam finder, it seems like you were trying to avoid the joists. I thought the whole point of using the slim models was so that you can put them anywhere, even under the joists?

I'm just curious is all.

Oh and does the Grant in Hackensack always stock them? Cause I just asked at the Grant in Belleville and they don't have any in stock nor could he give me a price for them
The slim model is an 12W model that is 1" thick, this is what I used. The other size is the ultra thin model that is 9W and a 1/2" thick.

I had to order from Grant, took about a week and are $50.70 for this model. Cooper Electric also has them for order, but the Grant price was slightly better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaffeene For This Useful Post:
HackWork (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
Click Here

Quote:
The slim model is an 12W model that is 1" thick, this is what I used. The other size is the ultra thin model that is 9W and a 1/2" thick.

I had to order from Grant, took about a week and are $50.70 for this model. Cooper Electric also has them for order, but the Grant price was slightly better.
Gotcha. Thanks.

If I ever install Lotus, I think I am going to use the ultra slim and not worry about joists at all.
Majewski likes this.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #12
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Gotcha. Thanks.

If I ever install Lotus, I think I am going to use the ultra slim and not worry about joists at all.
9W have lots of punch for an 8' ceiling.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:53 PM   #13
NDC

Rewards Points: 198

I will never never push to install cans again.
I found a really good quality Lotus knock off for $20 CAD.
12 Watt, 3000K or 5000K 780 Lumens, 5 year warranty, ETL approved, energy star and IC rated.
Attached Thumbnails
First Lotus LED install.-_27.jpg  

First Lotus LED install.-_fsdf.jpg  

Attached Images

splatz likes this.
NDC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NDC For This Useful Post:
splatz (10-30-2016), telsa (11-27-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #14
Click Here

You Canadians get all the good stuff.
The_Modifier, Majewski and Max C. like this.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:11 PM   #15
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 1,366

I'm super jelly.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:18 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDC View Post
I will never never push to install cans again.
I found a really good quality Lotus knock off for $20 CAD.
12 Watt, 3000K or 5000K 780 Lumens, 5 year warranty, ETL approved, energy star and IC rated.
Which brand if I may ask? Also, what are the available finishes?
Max C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #17
NDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max C. View Post
Which brand if I may ask? Also, what are the available finishes?
I dunno some generic chinese name like dayslim or something. They come in white only. 3000k and 5000k. A 6" is also available.
I built a small box with a dimmer that displays the two options they can choose from.
Give a customer too many choices and you're asking for problems. I'm an electrician not a mobile lighting showroom.
If they want something fancier I will go with a Liteline or Lotus and charge a premium for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to NDC For This Useful Post:
zac (11-28-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #18
Click Here

This is odd. It's a bit harder to find on their website, but Lotus makes an "economy" line. But it's odd because it doesn't seem economy. It's the super slim model but the wattage is almost as high as the thicker one.

9w Super Thin: https://www.lotusledlights.com/reces.../9w-super-thin
11w Economy Super Thin: https://www.lotusledlights.com/reces...und-super-thin
12w Full Size: https://www.lotusledlights.com/reces...-slim-standard

So why is the 11w Super Thin the economy model? It seems like it should be the premium model since it's both super thin and higher wattage. No need for the thicker model.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #19
NDC

Quote:
This is odd. It's a bit harder to find on their website, but Lotus makes an "economy" line. But it's odd because it doesn't seem economy. It's the super slim model but the wattage is almost as high as the thicker one.

So why is the 11w Super Thin the economy model? It seems like it should be the premium model since it's both super thin and higher wattage. No need for the thicker model.
Longer resi warranty on their 12W and it looks like it has a better heatsink. I think the 12W or original has a larger OD last time I put one in I had to buy a larger hole saw. I have only installed Lotus 12W. I'm sure its just built better overall.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #20
Petulant Amateur

Quote:

I never noticed that. I dunno. I always use the 9's (except on one occasion where I had a higher ceiling).