G24 2-pin to G24 LED problem - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Lighting Design

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By telsa

Old 12-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default G24 2-pin to G24 LED problem

Good day all,

I'm a maintenance tech for the Postal service and I'm having an odd problem trying to retrofit new G24 LED bulbs into a 2 bulb G24 fixture in a lobby. The new bulbs fit the sockets just fine and work with the OLD ballast setup flawlessly. The old ballasts are Robertson HP28P's... Specs can be found here, http://www.ballastshop.com/media/import/pdf/r_HP28P.pdf

The problem arose when I had to remove two dead ballasts from one of the fixtures. I replaced the (2) Robertson ballasts with (1) Philips Advance H2Q26TPBLSM ballast, specs can be found here, https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/57...FRyewAodMGoGGw ...

I have tried various wiring methods (shunted/ non shunted/ direct 120v line voltage) and no matter what I do the new LED g24's burn up and stop working within a few minutes of applied power. The LED's come on nice and bright with the new ballast but after a minute or so they begin to smoke and sizzle eventually burning out and failing.

I must be missing something in translation here so I'm hoping you guys can get me back up and running. Thanks a ton!
RobbySals is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbySals View Post
Good day all,

I'm a maintenance tech for the Postal service and I'm having an odd problem trying to retrofit new G24 LED bulbs into a 2 bulb G24 fixture in a lobby. The new bulbs fit the sockets just fine and work with the OLD ballast setup flawlessly. The old ballasts are Robertson HP28P's... Specs can be found here, http://www.ballastshop.com/media/import/pdf/r_HP28P.pdf

The problem arose when I had to remove two dead ballasts from one of the fixtures. I replaced the (2) Robertson ballasts with (1) Philips Advance H2Q26TPBLSM ballast, specs can be found here, https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/57...FRyewAodMGoGGw ...

I have tried various wiring methods (shunted/ non shunted/ direct 120v line voltage) and no matter what I do the new LED g24's burn up and stop working within a few minutes of applied power. The LED's come on nice and bright with the new ballast but after a minute or so they begin to smoke and sizzle eventually burning out and failing.

I must be missing something in translation here so I'm hoping you guys can get me back up and running. Thanks a ton!
You're cooking them with excess heat.

You need to find a compatible driver.
Kyrton likes this.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
NRA Member

Rewards Points: 750

The old ballast is for a two pin, the new one is a four pin. I'd say it's the wrong ballast.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I agree with backstay, Check and make sure the ballasts are compatible with the new LED lamps. Most of the time the LEDs will come with a spec sheet listing their compatible ballasts. if they didn't shoot an email off to the manufacturer.
Samtheman is offline   Reply With Quote