led tape lights dimming. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Lighting Design

Old 11-03-2016, 11:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Default led tape lights dimming.

i need to install some flexfire led tape lights for cove and closet lights. the problem i have ran into is i need to dim them. the cove lights are around 40ft and the closet will be around 150-200 ft. the lights draw around 5w per ft 12vdc. the dimmers i found on flexfire site are only rated up to 150w so i am going to be way over. that one is line voltage lutron diva. i was trying to find a secondary but no luck. i am traying to get away with 2 dimmer switches.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Ctsparky93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2016, 11:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 280

https://www.flexfireleds.com/led-pow...s-12v-and-24v/

I have no experience with these. But a quick look around on their website and it seems there may be options.
Mean Well Drivers

20W - 600W / 12V DC and 24V DC Outputs / Required to be hard wired to AC or separate plug
- Will work with all Flexfire LEDs strip lights
-Cannot be used with Lutron in wall dimmers
- Works with dimmers that are installed in-line on the DC side (after) the driver

Zurik Dimmable Driver (Magnetic Low Voltage MLV)

20W - 300W / 12V DC and 24V DC Outputs / Required to be hard wired to AC or separate plug
-Used with compatible Lutron/Leviton Wall dimmers
- All LED strip Lights except Hybrid and RGB
- 10-Year Warranty
Kyrton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kyrton For This Useful Post:
telsa (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,582

Lutron Diva Magnetic Low voltage dimmer
600 watt DVLP-600P
1000 watt DVLP-10P
Look at THIS PAGE

Last edited by 3DDesign; 11-03-2016 at 11:26 PM.
3DDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DDesign View Post
Lutron Diva Magnetic Low voltage dimmer
600 watt DVLP-600P
1000 watt DVLP-10P
Look at THIS PAGE
i think you meant to put dvlv. but yea i think thats the one i will get. thanks.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 350

The magnetic ones are kinda goofy with tape light, turn them on when dimmer is at full brightness, it flickers for a few seconds then works normally.
ppsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:03 AM   #6

so even with a mlv dimmable led driver the lights tend to flicker at full for a few minutes? what would you recommend a electronic driver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppsh View Post
The magnetic ones are kinda goofy with tape light, turn them on when dimmer is at full brightness, it flickers for a few seconds then works normally.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 181

You shouldn't get any flicker with a transformer power supply and magnetic low voltage dimmer. Lots of electronic power supplies do dimming the PWM way, so i'd always went with magnetic if customer wanted dimming. 1000W on 12V thats almost 100A!!! You be better off using more circuits lets say a few power supplies and dimmers separately. Flexfire leds tend to use quite a bit of power, so I've always used a separate feed for each meter or two, as to not put too much current through low voltage wiring.
V-Dough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Dough View Post
You shouldn't get any flicker with a transformer power supply and magnetic low voltage dimmer. Lots of electronic power supplies do dimming the PWM way, so i'd always went with magnetic if customer wanted dimming. 1000W on 12V thats almost 100A!!! You be better off using more circuits lets say a few power supplies and dimmers separately. Flexfire leds tend to use quite a bit of power, so I've always used a separate feed for each meter or two, as to not put too much current through low voltage wiring.
i was thinking about putting 4 or 5 magnetic drivers on one switch or maybe two to reach my 1000w.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 12

Are you set up as a contractor with them? I usually just tell them what I want to accomplish and let them work out the details as far as what power supplies and dimmers to use.
Forge Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:48 PM   #10
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrton View Post
https://www.flexfireleds.com/led-pow...s-12v-and-24v/

I have no experience with these. But a quick look around on their website and it seems there may be options.
Mean Well Drivers

I use the HLG series driver for our dimming LED chandeliers, they work really well and meanwell drivers overall are top notch. I recommend Mouser's search engine for searching for the right driver, makes it really easy to match up the voltage and wattage needed.
HoLeeFuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:37 AM   #11

Did you figure out your dimming controller I have a great product I'm currently playing with that may help but I'm having an issue figuring out how to wire these without a code violation... do you Saulder your LED strips or use the connecters, do the strips have to be csa approved?how do you connect the wires etc. I'm I found a great product from armacost which is a wireless dimmer that may work for you...
Let me know if you could help me with my installs thanks
Whitehouze is offline   Reply With Quote