Electrician Talk banner

metal halide

5K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  McClary’s Electrical 
#1 ·
I have a 24x30x12 red steel hobby shop, i purchased 4 ss steeler metal halide commercial lights. is this to much for this size building and how are they wired? I have one that is a muilty pigtail for 120 240 277 volt the other three are 277 only i have a 200 amp residential panel and service, will these work? heres the info on them...... Lumark SS Prismatic Steeler 16", 22" & 25"

#12 ·
Ok so what about the one that has the 120 240 connections, is this one limited to 3 phase also. I have acces to more of these. I picked the ones up with the 277 pig tails by mistake. To clarify i have three with 277 only connections and one with 120 240 and 277. These arent paid for yet as i wasnt sure they would work,is there a fixture you would recommend that would be comparable to these that would work on a res application? Thanks for the responce as i am a good do it yourselfer just have to learn a bit about what im doing first. Im 32 and i built this shop that needs lights. redone about everything in my house,And it has been done by me and believe it or not it passed code. I try to get an idea about what im doing before i do it. Thanks VIC

#27 · (Edited)
Ok so what about the one that has the 120 240 connections, is this one limited to 3 phase also. I have acces to more of these. I picked the ones up with the 277 pig tails by mistake. To clarify i have three with 277 only connections and one with 120 240 and 277.
None of them run on three phase. They run on single phase voltage. The 277v will work if fed from 120->277 boost transformer even though running 277v wiring in residential structure is not code compliant.

Four tap ballast may have:
C, 120, 208, 230, 277. Such a ballast will operate on any one of these voltages.

They're intended to reduce SKU's in inventory management, not for helping retired units be used at home. Though, they may cost more, it reduces the amount of effort needed in demand forecasting and inventory management.

IMHO 277v dedicated HID fixture clearly marked "for 277v use only" on fixture and ballast is an effective deterrent to would be thieves looking for pot grow lights. Outside of lighting test labs, there's almost no need to create 277, 347 or 480v to feed luminaires, so such a transformer is not found readily.

Sigh...
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1999-02-25/news/9902250240_1_fixtures-metal-valued

#28 ·
Anyone is crazy for paying for old metal halides. You will pay so much in usage, that you will literally pay for a more energy efficient option through your energy bill. What seems like a good deal now, will really cost you in the long run. If you want a bunch for free, just let me know. Pull them out all the time and pay to dispose of some of them when recycling is not an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.