Replacing 3" mr16 pots with something new - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Lighting Design

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By PlugsAndLights
  • 1 Post By sbrn33
  • 2 Post By 99cents

Old 10-21-2016, 10:23 PM   #1
NDC

Rewards Points: 82
Default Replacing 3" mr16 pots with something new

Some client of mine wants 17 or so 3" pots replaced or repaired. The transformers have gone bad on half of them but i'm not going to bother sourcing out and replacing transformers.

The hole diameter is 3.5" so I'm debating on whether to pick up some 3" slim led panels which fit in a 3.5" hole. Remove the transformer and rewired to the slim led jbox. These are small looking panels though and the actual illuminated part is only about 2" in diameter.

My second option would be to make a 4" slim fit in the hole by boring the hole out. The hole saw within a holesaw trick to make the holes 4-1/8 or so.
I would have to holesaw through the newwork plate though which might be a pain but the end result would mean bigger brighter potlights.

What do you guys think? What would you charge per potlight?
I'm thinking .5 hrs per light + material.

Some other suggestions would be great too!

Last edited by NDC; 10-21-2016 at 10:26 PM.
NDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 1,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDC View Post
Some client of mine wants 17 or so 3" pots replaced or repaired. The transformers have gone bad on half of them but i'm not going to bother sourcing out and replacing transformers.

The hole diameter is 3.5" so I'm debating on whether to pick up some 3" slim led panels which fit in a 3.5" hole. Remove the transformer and rewired to the slim led jbox. These are small looking panels though and the actual illuminated part is only about 2" in diameter.

My second option would be to make a 4" slim fit in the hole by boring the hole out. The hole saw within a holesaw trick to make the holes 4-1/8 or so.
I would have to holesaw through the newwork plate though which might be a pain but the end result would mean bigger brighter potlights.

What do you guys think? What would you charge per potlight?
I'm thinking .5 hrs per light + material.

Some other suggestions would be great too!
That sounds like a real pain since they're likely only attached on
1 side. Maybe they can be bent up out of the way.
P&L
NDC likes this.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #3
NDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugsAndLights View Post
That sounds like a real pain since they're likely only attached on
1 side. Maybe they can be bent up out of the way.
P&L
I don't think they are those rough in pot light plates. if this is the case then I'm laughing. These are new work cans I think that were installed before the drywall went in that get nailed on 4 corners.
Gonna avoid going the 4" route anyway, it would be messy. Going to drop the can out, get to the wiring, install 3" slim led.
I have done this before but with 4"

Last edited by NDC; 10-22-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
still in business

Rewards Points: 782

Just find a remodel can to fit the hole and use LED lamps. Pretty sure someone makes a 3 inch remodel.
If you have to upsize that hole your not doing the whole install in half an hour. Maybe if it is drywall.
Those existing cans are going to be a pain in the ass.
NDC likes this.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
NDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
Just find a remodel can to fit the hole and use LED lamps. Pretty sure someone makes a 3 inch remodel.
If you have to upsize that hole your not doing the whole install in half an hour. Maybe if it is drywall.
Those existing cans are going to be a pain in the ass.
You're right I am quoting .5 hrs to replace with slim 3"
if I had to make the hole larger it would take far more time.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #6
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 4,356

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDC View Post
I don't think they are those rough in pot light plates. if this is the case then I'm laughing. These are new work cans I think that were installed before the drywall went in that get nailed on 4 corners.
Gonna avoid going the 4" route anyway, it would be messy. Going to drop the can out, get to the wiring, install 3" slim led.
I have done this before but with 4"
That's what I would do. Drop the can and see if something like a 3" Lotus would work.
sbrn33 and NDC like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote