Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #1

Default 100Amp + 200Amp off the same meter?

I know local regulations vary, but generally, is it possible to have a 200Amp service into a house, and for the garage service, take a 100Amp off the meter with a dual lug meter base? I know it depends on demand load and such, but Generally speaking, is this doable? This is brand new construction so there is nothing in place yet.

Thanks,
j

bloodvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Sure if you group your disconnects and use the proper meter can (300A) and bond everything properly.

electricrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

As far as I know you can't get a 200 amp rated meter can that will accept double lugs ( at least I have never seen one )

The most common way to do what your trying to do is to install a 200 amp main breaker panel and have a 2 pole 100 feeding the garage sub panel from that

Or go with as electricrick said a 300 amp can to 2 disconnects kind of like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300 amp.jpg (119.3 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by user438; 09-10-2010 at 09:53 PM.
user438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
Always Learnin'

Midwest makes a 200A meter main that has a 200A cb installed and a position for an additional 2 pole cb. This configuration is common for sectional/modular homes where a separate building(garage)may need to be fed economically.
Google Midwest Electric
amptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich R View Post
As far as I know you can't get a 200 amp rated meter can that will accept double lugs ( at least I have never seen one )

The most common way to do what your trying to do is to install a 200 amp main breaker panel and have a 2 pole 100 feeding the garage sub panel from that

Or go with as electricrick said a 300 amp can to 2 disconnects kind of like this
6 months ago, I completed the following job. It was approved, and inspected. After the power provider locked out the underground supply to the house, I removed a meter box from the side of a house, installed a dual lug meter box in it's place, and took off a 100Amp service to a garage. The existing house panel is 100Amp. The meter itself was rated at 200Amps. The same meter went back on. This was all inspected and good to go. so to reply to your above comment, there certainly is available, dual lug meter boxes for 200Amp meters- at least in this case. I know what you mean about putting a 100Amp breaker and sending that to the garage. In that case, the garage panel would be a subpanel, and I wonder since you don't ground the neutral in a subpanel, I wonder if you avoid the ground rod altogether? I've never put in a 100Amp branch circuit breaker before.

I was talking to an inspector about taking off a 100Amp garage service from the meter box that feeds a 200Amp service in a house by using a dual meter base. And he said under certain circumstances, and by doing load demand calculations, if the criteria is met you CAN do it. Of course this means you could theoretically draw just shy of 300amps and not trip either main, and potentially burn up your underground supply, but this is why you do load demand calculations. I'm sure you would also have to upgrade your meter from a 200amp to a 300amp if such a thing exists...
bloodvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #6

The NEC would allow a number of ways to do it.

First off do you want to run feeders to the garage and into the house or do you want to run service conductors to each?

The NEC allows either for a dwelling unit with a detached garage.

The service conductor route is the least expensive as it can eliminate extra disconnects.
Bob Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #7

Here is how 230.40 Exception 2 would allow it.

The way I drew it the meter is remote but the meter and junction box could be located on either building, electrically it would be the same.

If you can get a double lug meter the j-box can be eliminated.

All the normal rules for service conductors apply, you cannot route the service conductors inside the buildings.
Bob Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Badger For This Useful Post:
jwjrw (09-11-2010), nitro71 (09-11-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Nothin' To Lose

Feeder. All circuit conductors between the service equipment,
the source of a separately derived system, or other
power supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent
device.

Service Conductors. The conductors from the service
point to the service disconnecting means.

-- Andrew Carnegie
Magnettica is online now   Reply With Quote