CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Old 09-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Default 300 amp service dilemma

Bidding on a job I'm a little confused I never did a 300 amp service do I need a CT cabinet or can I just get a 320 amp meter pan with a 300 amp main breaker raintight enclosure I was gonna put a trough up and two 150 amp panels with main lugs or should I make them main breakers on the print I see a small elevator It is a house being converted into exam rooms can that elevator be single phase or do I have to bring 3 phases into this place Ive done a ct cabinet but it was for a 400 amp service with two 200 amp main panels a trough and a meter all indoor. What is the best way to do this I'm thinking 300 amp meter outside to a trough inside with two 150 amp square d panels with mains and call it a day. It is a basement first and second floor nothing in attic Do I need a main disconnect outside.

SPINA ELECTRIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would not buy or plan a thing before talking to the power company or at least get their requirements from their web site.

Where I am they will only accept certain meter sockets.

Bob Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #3

Thanks Bob as long as the area provides 300 amps its available I talked to poco this morning
Old 09-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,540

I agree with Mr. Badger. Also get more information about the loads you will serve. Ask about the elevator,too.
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #5

Yes I agree I am looking into the elevator if it is 3 phase that effects my price but ty
Old 09-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,034

An elevator on the prints, but not enough information to know if it's 3 phase or not? This is going to be a fun job. I can tell already.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDShunk For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (09-21-2010)
Old 09-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
An elevator on the prints, but not enough information to know if it's 3 phase or not? This is going to be a fun job. I can tell already.
I have to admit, I've led a sheltered life. The vast majority of the jobs I've been on have had drawings. I have not had to engineer a large job. It's got to be rough.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #8

It's always fun ELECTRICITY IS MY LIFE Lol If I didn't call him this morning I would not know what I know so far
Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPINA ELECTRIC View Post
It's always fun ELECTRICITY IS MY LIFE Lol If I didn't call him this morning I would not know what I know so far
Did the POCO send a locator to tell you where the service HAS to be, and what was available?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #10

No riveter once I find out my information I will give him my bid if I get it I will have my poco take a look at it
Old 09-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
No riveter once I find out my information I will give him my bid if I get it I will have my poco take a look at it
It is pretty important that you talk to the locator because I have had situations where the service could not go where it seemed obvious because he knew of future changes in their distribution system. I would have had to tear it out and relocate it to the other side of the building if I hadn't asked.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVETER View Post
It is pretty important that you talk to the locator because I have had situations where the service could not go where it seemed obvious because he knew of future changes in their distribution system. I would have had to tear it out and relocate it to the other side of the building if I hadn't asked.
If I bid a job with prints and the service is not allowed to go where it is shown on the prints, I usually get a change order.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworkingstiff View Post
If I bid a job with prints and the service is not allowed to go where it is shown on the prints, I usually get a change order.
Yeah. I guess if the job is pre-engineered and your bid is taken that's what you gotta do.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
Fried Bologna um um good!

Here we can use a 320a can or a ct cabinet. I usually only use a ct if it's
400a. If you go back to back no main needed outside. I would get a double lug meter and feed two 150a panels.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #15

Quote:

Until poco tells you what you can use how can you bid it?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #16
NJ-IEC Member

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVETER View Post
I have to admit, I've led a sheltered life. The vast majority of the jobs I've been on have had drawings. I have not had to engineer a large job. It's got to be rough.
Not really. The things that aren't on the prints you simply don't put a price tag on. I would call the architect listed on the plans and ask him about the elevator. Then I would I call the GC and inform him that I need to know about the elevator name plate data because i am planning the service for this particular dwelling unit. Three-phase equipment is much, much more expensive than single phase. An elevator is a wide variable, that's for sure.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #17
Modérateur

The last time I did work on elevator on the resdentail site the motour itself is single phase it was big engouh to handle the elevator requrement.

That was 7.5 HP motor and the elevator company told me that if any bigger than that you will end up get in three phase supply or run thru the PC { phase converter } one of the two. I did told that guy some of newer units they use the VSD instead of standard PC set up.

Merci.
Marc
Old 09-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #18

I doubt the POCO is going to install a three phase transformer for one elevator. If they do, the customer better pull out thier pocket book. In my area a 300 amp service is uncommon. Goes in steps of 200 amps for the most part.
nitro71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro71 View Post
I doubt the POCO is going to install a three phase transformer for one elevator. If they do, the customer better pull out thier pocket book. In my area a 300 amp service is uncommon. Goes in steps of 200 amps for the most part.

I see 320a services here often. Most residential elevators I've seen here will work without upgrading to a bigger service. Assuming you have a 200a.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #20

300 amp upgrade from 200 amp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0371.jpg (110.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0361.jpg (108.8 KB, 14 views)

Midnitel is offline   Reply With Quote