Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Old 06-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
TOU

Default Calculating AIC rating of Panel

Be nice..newby here..

I am working on a project with 600amp at the main. the main feeds 3 panels, each with 200amps. my question is, how do you calculate the AIC rating of these 3 200amps panel?

the main is 120/208v, 3phase and so are the panels. what do i need to look at? pls give example. thank you guys.

TOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOU View Post
Be nice..newby here..

I am working on a project with 600amp at the main. the main feeds 3 panels, each with 200amps. my question is, how do you calculate the AIC rating of these 3 200amps panel?

the main is 120/208v, 3phase and so are the panels. what do i need to look at? pls give example. thank you guys.
Well they do it with a program to calculate you need more info like feeder lengths wire size and if its copper or alu.

You need to tell us if its rigid conduit or alum or pvc or emt or underground or overhead the length is it parallel or a single run .
Next is this to be series rated or what 100 percent rating ?

Its kinda ohms law but just a little more info like the fault current of that transformer feeding the main panel needs to be known also ? lots of stuff there is a program you can get check out the web HANDBOOK OF ELECTRICAL POWER CALCULATION .

Take care

Last edited by nick; 06-03-2009 at 07:11 PM.
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
TOU

i was actually hoping there is a way to do it by hand...i want to see the process

anyway, do you have the name of such a program?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOU View Post
i was actually hoping there is a way to do it by hand...i want to see the process

anyway, do you have the name of such a program?
I believe its called a Current Fault Study or a cordination study done by a engineer .http://login.ecmweb.com/wall.aspx?ER...istic_fault%2F

Last edited by nick; 06-03-2009 at 07:25 PM.
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #5

http://www.cooperbussmann.com/pdf/87...4e9d57d93c.pdf
Bob Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
TOU

thank you guys..