Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Old 11-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Chief Electron Relocator

Default Loose meter jaw fix

Been having a lot of service calls lately for Loss of Power. Turns out, it's because of loose jaws in the meter sockets. I typically take a pair of Channies and squeeze them back together, but sometimes this is only a temporary fix........ six weeks later, I'm back.

I've seen clamps that are used on fuses that tighten the blades onto the fuse ends: Does a similar clip exist for meter jaws? It would have to be mounted above/below the jaw to allow for the meter to be inserted.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Registered Member

I've found that the guts from the millbanks they sell at hom depot fit in dominions meter bases. I don't have to swap the whole can.

mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Chief Electron Relocator

Sockets are 60's era, no name on them.

Last edited by 480sparky; 11-23-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: add pix
480sparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #4

My local poco has clips like that but I never seen them for sale
Old 11-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to kbsparky Send a message via AIM to kbsparky Send a message via Yahoo to kbsparky

Time to replace those meter boxes/guts.

Squeezing those jaws back together is only a temporary fix at best. Once the temper is gone, those type of repairs won't last.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
leland (11-23-2011), Magnettica (11-23-2011), mattsilkwood (11-29-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Registered Member

I would schedule to meet the power company out there, and they will normally have parts on their trucks.
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
I would schedule to meet the power company out there, and they will normally have parts on their trucks.

Good Idea, but given the age of the socket,probably nut & bolt,so the can has to come off any way.
leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
animal lover /rat bastard

Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

replace
As President Roosevelt said: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself. And Chuck Norris. And 滿口胡言. And Grabthar's hammer. And Gort. and 江南 Style. and rotting in the street and Zombies . . . and Wayne Griffen "
wildleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #9

an even easier fix is to tell the power company to stop pulling the meters on house when customers dont pay.
SEREMan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Duke stopped supplying meters here years ago. I save the guts out of the old meters we take out for emergency repairs like you do.
Bulldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Registered Member

Default 2

2 polaris vice grips would solve that problem
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Chief Electron Relocator

Quote:

It's not POCO equipment, so they won't touch them.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
Chief Electron Relocator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEREMan2000 View Post
an even easier fix is to tell the power company to stop pulling the meters on house when customers dont pay.

Right. Like I'm gonna tell the POCO how to run their business. What do you think I am..... a union?
BBQ (11-23-2011), randas (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #14

I twist them from the inside with my beater screwdriver forcing the arm back out. Then re-squeeze with Channel locks.

Tom
davis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #15

Permit for disconnect-reconnect. Replace meter can. Easy 12-15 hundred bucks and ...............wait for it..............no call backs or liability!!! Easy one!
Stab&Shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #16
Nothin' To Lose

I would do my best to make the repair and if the problem persisted it would have to be replaced. We install a lot of 5-jaw meter pans here because they [POCO] like to measure the neutral current too.

-- Andrew Carnegie
Magnettica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to CADPoint Send a message via Yahoo to CADPoint

Metal once deformed; this work is done at the smallest level of the metal structure-level, nothing can be done to correct this!

Once this change has happened, one has changed the properties of the orginial charactertics of the metal.

Last edited by CADPoint; 11-23-2011 at 08:23 PM.
CADPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
Registered Member

I bet you can find a new jaw from a meter socket and use it as a spring over the old jaw to hold it tight.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #19

Last year I had a job working for our utility replacing meter sockets, and repairing them as they went through and replaced all their meters with the automated reading type. I found alot of different sockets, and diminished my supply of used parts, however one thing the meter manufacturer asked me before I was awarded the project is what would I do if I came to a socket that had loose jaws. I said my first try would be to squeeze them back together, and then replace them if they would not stay together. They told me NEVER to squeeze them back together because their new meters would burn up the connection if the jaws were not the right strength. It has proven to be true, because a year after all the meters were finished, there is alot of meter sockets and new meters burned up. The contractor they hired to actually install the meters, used temp workers to replace the meters, and they squeezed alot of the jaws together.
thegoodelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:08 AM   #20
Conservitum Americum

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoodelectrician View Post
Last year I had a job working for our utility replacing meter sockets, and repairing them as they went through and replaced all their meters with the automated reading type. I found alot of different sockets, and diminished my supply of used parts, however one thing the meter manufacturer asked me before I was awarded the project is what would I do if I came to a socket that had loose jaws. I said my first try would be to squeeze them back together, and then replace them if they would not stay together. They told me NEVER to squeeze them back together because their new meters would burn up the connection if the jaws were not the right strength. It has proven to be true, because a year after all the meters were finished, there is alot of meter sockets and new meters burned up. The contractor they hired to actually install the meters, used temp workers to replace the meters, and they squeezed alot of the jaws together.
Good to know inormation. Thanks.