CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Old 01-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 742
Default power grid Ecuador

Some power pics

Beautiful country. Hard way of life in the 3rd world countries.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Heavily Armed Member

Looks good.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #3

Yes it does. These are not ones I took. I have a bunch of pics from there that I snapped the shutter on. I'll find em eventually, I'll post them.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I wish I took more pics of my honeymoon to the islands. There is some electric stuff that will scare ya........ And make you want to open a shop there doing new services........... Til you remember how friggin poor they are there
Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsOn81 View Post
I wish I took more pics of my honeymoon to the islands. There is some electric stuff that will scare ya........ And make you want to open a shop there doing new services........... Til you remember how friggin poor they are there

You are so right. Went to Cancun in '97, you see this kind of electrical work there too. Things like pad mount transformers left with the doors wide open. Within touching distance, sidewalk close I mean. Guess it was safe though, it was right next to the fire station or the police station I don't remember which one it was, have that CRS thing going on. I took pics and will eventually find them.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 254

It may sound crazy but that is the stuff I like to see. You can go to Bermuda and it is like you havenít left the states. Then you go to an island and your room has a hand made lamp out of a sea shell and some other parts. We went to St.Lucia and I could not find a travel adapter big enough for my wifeís hair drier. When we were shown our room the guy opens the closet and says "If you need an adapter we have one for you" and takes out an old transformer the size of a shoe box. This thing has a handy box and outlet screwed to the side of it. It had a cord with a dead front plug on it. He sets it down and I can feel it through the floor! On the inside I am grinning ear to ear, now thatís a travel adapter. This place took care of us like a five star hotel and it was only one step above roughing it.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabletie View Post
It may sound crazy but that is the stuff I like to see. You can go to Bermuda and it is like you havenít left the states. Then you go to an island and your room has a hand made lamp out of a sea shell and some other parts. We went to St.Lucia and I could not find a travel adapter big enough for my wifeís hair drier. When we were shown our room the guy opens the closet and says "If you need an adapter we have one for you" and takes out an old transformer the size of a shoe box. This thing has a handy box and outlet screwed to the side of it. It had a cord with a dead front plug on it. He sets it down and I can feel it through the floor! On the inside I am grinning ear to ear, now thatís a travel adapter. This place took care of us like a five star hotel and it was only one step above roughing it.
Lol thats funny and I know it to br true! We were in st. Lucia and the thing that scared me was the service drops exposed conductors no conduit no box for the meter socket and it ain't nothing but salty humid air.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,798

Not as bad as I anticipated.
Chris1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

I was in San Lorenzo in the mid 1990's with the Army National Guard to build school houses. I saw a man every evening throw a wire across the power line and hook it up to his hair trimmers and open up shop on the road. No fuse what so ever. In the late evening when everyone came home for the day all the lights dimmed to a faint glow due to power usage. It was something to behold for OSHA standards.
Old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 2,374

Any idea what those two hanging cylinders are in the substation?

-John
Big John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Any idea what those two hanging cylinders are in the substation?

-John
A giant inductor, may be part of an RLC filter bank? Can't see the R or the C though...lol
CheapCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 2,374

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapCharlie View Post
A giant inductor, may be part of an RLC filter bank? Can't see the R or the C though...lol
They do have line reactors on long lines because the R & C components are the wires themselves, but I can't tell why there would be only two of them instead of one per phase.

Also, those insulators don't look like bushings, it just looks like that's how the thing is being supported. I can't tell what it's actually connected to.

-John
Big John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
BR549

Rewards Points: 2,158

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabletie View Post
It may sound crazy but that is the stuff I like to see. You can go to Bermuda and it is like you havenít left the states.
I worked with a Navy Captain that was in charge of rebuilding the distribution there. He was the CO and had a few interesting stories about living on the island.
jrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
Electricity is Amazing!

Rewards Points: 502

It's like that art that interests you but you don't understand why.

thoenew is online now   Reply With Quote