CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Old 05-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Default Square D

What's the difference between square d's QO and Homeline panels and breakers?
I noticed the QO breakers are about double the price, especially the arc fault ones. The 200amp main breaker panels were 40 dollars different.
I know square d panels are some of the best out there but why is there such a big difference between the two models they offer?

ElectricalNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
I void warranties

Rewards Points: 2,114

They have pretty much the same guts as far as I know. The QO's have the trip indicator and are 3/4" as opposed to the HOM's that are 1". With the QO's you can step up to bolt on styles, plus there are wider options in panels, and breakers available in the QO line.

Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,062

The internal workings are the same... no doubt. The main difference is that HOM breakers are 1" breakers, and QO's are 3/4" breakers, so HOM panels are bigger. Also, the HOM breaker-to-bus connection is patterned after the old Westinghouse standard and is considered less reliable than the QO breaker-to-bus connection, which is unique to QO. Both panels use the same main breakers and other accessories. There are fewer "special" breakers available for HOM's, like shunt trips, VHO's, HM, EPD's, alarm contacts, etc., which makes QO better suited for light commercial.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #4

I just wondered because I'm in the process of moving and might be redoing my whole service. I've always installed them but just noticed the price difference.
After putting in 20 breakers with a 5$difference it starts to add up. Especially when the arc fault breakers are 15 dollars difference. For my own house I'd like to have the best but I didn't think between the square d's there would be a big difference.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 2,032

I have Homeline in my house and the inlaw apartment and don't lose any sleep over it.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #6

That's what I was thinking. Thanks guys
Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
still in business

Rewards Points: 2,372

I believe the biggest diff. is that the Homeline is a residential grade aluminum buss panel and the QO is their top of the line tinned copper bus panel.
I would dispute the fact that the bus design is better though. Those QO's like to hop off the buss like no other.
sbrn33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #8

Yeh I know what you mean. It's nice when you go into a panel to add a circuit ands half the breakers pop off
Old 05-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
I believe the biggest diff. is that the Homeline is a residential grade aluminum buss panel and the QO is their top of the line tinned copper bus panel.
I thought the QO bus was aluminum as well? Hmmm...

Quote:
I would dispute the fact that the bus design is better though. Those QO's like to hop off the buss like no other.
Yeah, sometimes they just won't make strong contact. I was having a problem getting a 1-pole QO to snap in tightly so I kept trying different breakers -new, old, whatever it took. Nothing seemed to worked so I had to conclude it was a defective buss tab.
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
I void warranties

Rewards Points: 2,114

One thing I like about QO is where they put the neutral bar, with HOM its under the breaker terms.

Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
still in business

Rewards Points: 2,372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
One thing I like about QO is where they put the neutral bar, with HOM its under the breaker terms.
That is kinda funny, because that is what I hate about the QO and love about the Siemens. I hate those neutral busses on the QO.
Different strokes for different folks
sbrn33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
Yeah Toast!!

Rewards Points: 576

Quote:
Why do they tinned the copper bus?
Roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
i agree, i would dispute it even further since the only thing that holds the rear of the breaker stable is a little white plastic piece that dry-rots and breaks off after 5 years
rnr electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 150

All Homeline panels have an aluminum bus.

Some QO panels have a copper bus. I think it is the reversable bus option which comes in copper.

Tin plating reduces oxidation.

EJPHI

EJPHI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EJPHI For This Useful Post:
Magnettica (05-09-2011)