Stockton Smart Meters Explode After Truck Causes Power Surge - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
RIP 1959-2015

Location: Reporting From Fenway Park Home of the Boston Red Sox....
Rewards Points: 180
Default Stockton Smart Meters Explode After Truck Causes Power Surge

Stockton Smart Meters Explode After Truck Causes Power Surge

STOCKTON (CBS13) — A power surge left thousands without power for most of the day in Stockton after smart meters on their homes exploded on Monday.
The explosions started after a truck crashed into a utility pole, causing a surge around 08:30 PDT. on Monday morning.
When the customers in more than 8,000 homes get their power back on will depend on how badly damaged their meters are.
Neighbors in the South Stockton area described it as a large pop, a bomb going off, and strong enough to shake a house.
“The neighbor across the street, his meter doesn’t look as bad but his receptacles are all blackened.” said Brad Abernathy.
PG&E says a dump truck crashed near its Alpine substation on Arch Road. When the truck hit the utility pole, the top wire fell onto the bottom wire, creating a power surge.
“The top lines are considered our freeways. The bottom lines are our distribution lines taking power directly to homes,” said PG&E spokeswoman Brandi Ehlers. “So when the two collide, they’re at different voltages and the higher voltage wins out, causing an overload.”
Power is expected to be back to most customers by Monday evening, but the damage varies by home.

CS2 Flat Rate
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Dog For This Useful Post:
pete87 (03-31-2015)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,723

Not sure that a traditional meter would have done any better.
AK_sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_sparky View Post

I would think that the, " Electronic Smart Meters " , are more of a Fire Hazard .

I would not want one attached to my house .

Pete
pete87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_sparky View Post

The traditional mechanical meters would survive a major overvoltage event of fairly long duration...remember they were, electrically, just coils of wire. They may suffer some arc damage but in all likelyhood would continue to work (with reduced accuracy). And further, they had glass covers which wouldn't melt and were strong enough to contain an arc flash.

Smart meters contain a buttload of electronics on circuit boards with very small (and closely spaced) traces so flashovers and burnouts are very likely even with a relatively minor surge event. Plus the cases and covers are all plastic.

I have one that I can take apart so I will get some pics to add to this thread later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete87 View Post
I would think that the, " Electronic Smart Meters " , are more of a Fire Hazard .

I would not want one attached to my house .

Pete
I've got one and it is only a matter of time before it blows...we have 34.5kv primary, deal with a lot of wind and critters, so one day I am sure the "perfect storm" of conditions will happen and that meter will go up in flames.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guest For This Useful Post:
pete87 (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 390

if secondaries got hung up on primaries, anything could have happened. I'm no friend of smart meters, but until the facts are in I think it is premature to speculate . . .
guest (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildleg View Post
if secondaries got hung up on primaries, anything could have happened. I'm no friend of smart meters, but until the facts are in I think it is premature to speculate . . .

There was a thread on MH Forum a few weeks ago . Basically the Smart Meters DO NOT hold up well and EXPLODE and BURN .The Old Meters are
safer .

Pete
pete87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pete87 For This Useful Post:
guest (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete87 View Post
There was a thread on MH Forum a few weeks ago . Basically the Smart Meters DO NOT hold up well and EXPLODE and BURN .The Old Meters are
safer .

Pete
cool beans.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
motherplucker

Rewards Points: 4,302

Well i guess they're not so smart after all....~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:39 PM   #9
RIP 1959-2015

Location: Reporting From Fenway Park Home of the Boston Red Sox....
Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
Well i guess they're not so smart after all....~CS~

CS2 Flat Rate
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:27 PM   #10
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,927

Last edited by guest; 04-01-2015 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Deleted for unnecessarycommentary
Lep is offline   Reply With Quote