Transformer Bonding - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Like Tree10Likes

Old 04-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
CES

Rewards Points: 31
Default Transformer Bonding

I have a 120,208 3 phase service bonded and grounded including building steel. I need to set a step up transformer to 480v go several hundred feet and set another transformer to step back down to feed a 120/208 panel, as far as bonding/grounding is all I need at each transformer a bond to the steel. I will have a SBJ between first panel and transformer and no neutral until leaving second transformer to panel. The wiring I was going to use the conduit as a ground between transformers and bond at second transformer not the panel
CES is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,212

What kind of transformer are you using to step up? Is it just a standard step down used in reverse, or will it be a 208 delta primary and 480Y/277 wye secondary? This affects how the bonding is done.
RePhase277 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
CES

It is a standard transformer used in reverse
Old 04-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

In that case, you'll have a 480 delta secondary, so you need to ground one of the phases and identify it white. At the first transfromer, you'll bond the case to the primary EGC, and you bond building steel to one secondary phase, then from that phase bond the case again.

At the other end, all will be standard since you have an X0 terminal.
The Following User Says Thank You to RePhase277 For This Useful Post:
micromind (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
CES

Ok, I'll get back with you when we are ready to terminate. I have no experience with this setup and just reading that sounds like it would explode.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 374

Also, X0 at the step-up unit cannot be connected to anything. If the factory has a bonding jumper, remove it.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by CES View Post
Ok, I'll get back with you when we are ready to terminate. I have no experience with this setup and just reading that sounds like it would explode.

Thanks
Yes, it sounds like a bad idea to ground one of the 480 phases but remember, in a transformer like this, there's no electrical connection from the 120/208 side to the 480 side.

Since the 480 side is a separately derived system, it needs to be grounded or have some sort of ground-fault detection system. Grounding (bonding) one of the phases (usually H2) is the easiest way.

The end result is a 480 grounded B system. 480 phase to phase and 480 phase to ground.
InPhase277 and pjholguin like this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 11,230

On the economics, the plan is screwy.

You can't justify the complications for such a short run and such a trivial voltage boost.

The usual solution is to go with hefty aluminum conductors ... perhaps paralleling them, too.

Stay away from copper -- it's so much more expensive -- and not a lot of fun to tug in.

Yes, there still are electrical contractors that don't price // bid for aluminum versus copper.

Once this is tried, their eyes bug out.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
In that case, you'll have a 480 delta secondary, so you need to ground one of the phases and identify it white. At the first transfromer, you'll bond the case to the primary EGC, and you bond building steel to one secondary phase, then from that phase bond the case again.

At the other end, all will be standard since you have an X0 terminal.
There is no requirement that a 480 volt system be a grounded system. However an ungrounded system does require ground detectors....see 250.21(B).
don_resqcapt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
There is no requirement that a 480 volt system be a grounded system. However an ungrounded system does require ground detectors....see 250.21(B).
This is true, but in my opinion it adds a layer if complexity to a job unnecessarily. I believe the grounded system is more reliable.
telsa likes this.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CES View Post

Thanks
Why would it explode? Because a phase is grounded? That's not how electricity works.
Precise8128 likes this.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 11,230

Quote:
Why would it explode? Because a phase is grounded? That's not how electricity works.
I never cease to be amazed at seasoned electricians that are weak on transformers.

I'm also amazed at how many 'smart guys' don't have a copy of Ugly's.

Sheesh.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
I'm also amazed at how many 'smart guys' don't have a copy of Ugly's.

Sheesh.
I have never even looked at a copy of that book
Old 04-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #14
zac

Rewards Points: 786

Quote:
I have never even looked at a copy of that book
Well then you may be sarcastic or trying to prove something. Most people now don't use ugly's because of smart phone technology, but in the past it was a good resource to have.
I also respect your knowledge of the trade and am not trying to disrespect you, just pointing out that you may be in the minority.
I myself rarely used ugly's but have had a few copies over the years and some other "cliff note" type of pamphlets. My best resources were and are my general foreman I worked under over the years.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
zac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 84

I am curious why there is no mention of secondary over current protection on the first transformer (the corner grounded delta).

Since one phase becomes the grounded conductor, that phase should not be fused.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabletie View Post
I am curious why there is no mention of secondary over current protection on the first transformer (the corner grounded delta).

Since one phase becomes the grounded conductor, that phase should not be fused.
The secondary of the transformer may not require protection (primary protection rated at 125% or less of primary current).
The secondary conductors will require protection based on one of the rules in 240.21(C).
Old 04-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #17

Quote:
The secondary of the transformer may not require protection (primary protection rated at 125% or less of primary current).
The secondary conductors will require protection based on one of the rules in 240.21(C).
Being a wye-delta, can it be protected by the primary only? I think the code says it has to be delta-delta for primary-only protection.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Being a wye-delta, can it be protected by the primary only? I think the code says it has to be delta-delta for primary-only protection.
That would be for using the primary transformer protection to protect the transformer secondary conductors.

Table 450.3(B) permits primary only protection for almost all transformers. It is often not used that way as sometimes the inrush will trip a primary protective device rated at 125% or less of primary current.

There are two sets of overcurrent protection rules involved when working with transformers. The ones in Article 450 that cover the protection of the transformer primary and secondary conductors, and the ones in 240 that cover the protection of the primary and secondary (240.21(C)) conductors. Often a single OCPD can be used to satisfy rules from both sections.
InPhase277, pjholguin and emtnut like this.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 428

Very good stuff here. I normally just do your straight forward delta-wye transformers and have never come across this scenario so this is informative to me because it is such a different set up than I am use to
InPhase277 likes this.
bobbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbarker View Post
Very good stuff here. I normally just do your straight forward delta-wye transformers and have never come across this scenario so this is informative to me because it is such a different set up than I am use to
Personally, I live in the non-standard. I get too bored with the same ol', same ol'. Finding interesting solutions to tough problems makes the world a brighter place.
bobbarker likes this.