Electric fence Energizer(Hammer 630) - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Structured Wiring

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By RePhase277
  • 4 Post By splatz
  • 3 Post By emtnut
  • 2 Post By Safari
  • 1 Post By emtnut

Old 08-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,024
Default Electric fence Energizer(Hammer 630)

Called on An electric fence problem. The siren was ON repeatedly. Checked for short circuit on theoo fence,didn't find any.decided to open the energizer. Found one component that looks like a capacitor totally burnt. The component is between that first relay.Can't get Its value. Don't know if any one has a similar one to help me get that components value

Sent from my TECNO-N6S using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

Is it the component between the relay and capacitors? Labeled BR1? If so, that's a bridge rectifier.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhase277 View Post
Is it the component between the relay and capacitors? Labeled BR1? If so, that's a bridge rectifier.
Its actually between RL1 and BR1, what is remaining there is actually a wire strand if you look closely. It looked like a capacitor but am not sure due to it being totally burnt

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

http://www.hammerenergisers.co.za/?Task=mail

you can get a new unit for 1500R (less than 120 bucks US). Without a schematic its a guess.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari View Post
Its actually between RL1 and BR1, what is remaining there is actually a wire strand if you look closely. It looked like a capacitor but am not sure due to it being totally burnt

I see now. It would be a smoothing capacitor for that rectifier. Any pretty large value should work at the appropriate voltage. 1000 uF at 250 V would work. The value at that point isn't super critical.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #6
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,858

My guess would be it was the MOV.

Given that it's blasted to ratchit, there is more than likely other problems with that board.

I'd follow Wildleg's advice
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
Safari (08-07-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
My guess would be it was the MOV.

Given that it's blasted to ratchit, there is more than likely other problems with that board.

That true, could be another MOV.

I'd follow Wildleg's advice

Nah... We'll I mean, yeah, just replace the thing and get paid.

But the put that thing on the bench and get it going again.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildleg View Post
http://www.hammerenergisers.co.za/?Task=mail

you can get a new unit for 1500R (less than 120 bucks US). Without a schematic its a guess.
True wildleg,but looking at cost too. that component costs less than a dollar.it might be the last option

Old 08-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #9

Quote:
I see now. It would be a smoothing capacitor for that rectifier. Any pretty large value should work at the appropriate voltage. 1000 uF at 250 V would work. The value at that point isn't super critical.
Looked like a ceramic capacitor, 1000uF.Might be on the higher side

Old 08-07-2017, 01:21 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Looked like a ceramic capacitor, 1000uF.Might be on the higher side

If it looked like that it was probably and MOV. I was picturing electrolytic capacitor, which sometimes can explode for no good reason. But an MOV usually only goes bad like that if it clamped down on a serious spike. It might not have caught all of it and something else on the board is cooked.
emtnut and splatz like this.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:06 AM   #11
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 880

Quote:
If it looked like that it was probably and MOV. I was picturing electrolytic capacitor, which sometimes can explode for no good reason. But an MOV usually only goes bad like that if it clamped down on a serious spike. It might not have caught all of it and something else on the board is cooked.
Usually the MOV is in parallel to the power and even if you just cut it out everything runs normal, you just don't have your surge protection any more. It's a sacrificial component. I think your MOV tried, and died, but didn't stop all the surge, and something else is why the board is dead.
Safari (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #12
Band Member

You did check the littlefuse , right ??
circuitman1, splatz and RePhase277 like this.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
You did check the littlefuse , right ??
Yes I did emtnut, you were right.It must have been an MOV.Disconnected the fence and did short the output of the Enegizer.It worked fine.
I now have to check the actual short on the fence.it is coupled with a razor fence making it hard to isolate. But am on it.

Thanks for the help.

circuitman1 and emtnut like this.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:11 AM   #14
Band Member

Quote:
Yes I did emtnut, you were right.It must have been an MOV.Disconnected the fence and did short the output of the Enegizer.It worked fine.
I now have to check the actual short on the fence.it is coupled with a razor fence making it hard to isolate. But am on it.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for getting back !

In hindsight, we should have suggested disconnecting the fence

Good call
RePhase277 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
Safari (08-10-2017)