Extending CAT6 cable - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Structured Wiring

Like Tree20Likes

Old 01-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 228
Default Extending CAT6 cable

Boss ran 300 feet (or so) of CAT6 cable a while ago for a future internet install. 300 feet is pretty far so I have to assume I'm going to need a sort of POE device to beef up the range again so I don't have too much voltage drop? What is the accepted limit for distances of comm cable to be ran before needing a boosting device such as that?
Funkadelicfred is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #2
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 250

Standard length without needing a switch or anything is 100 meters which is somewhere close to 330 feet.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.
Navyguy and five.five-six like this.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
Standard length without needing a switch or anything is 100 meters which is somewhere close to 330 feet.

And then any switch should do right? Does any POE switch serves as a booster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 06:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 102

I ran cat 6 700’ and it works. You can’t certify the cable because it maxes out at 100M. Long runs that don’t require PoE you can run fiber and use media converters to go back to copper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VELOCI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkadelicfred View Post
And then any switch should do right? Does any POE switch serves as a booster?

No

Old 01-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELOCI3 View Post
I ran cat 6 700’ and it works. You can’t certify the cable because it maxes out at 100M. Long runs that don’t require PoE you can run fiber and use media converters to go back to copper

Sorry, what do you mean by certify? And in what case would you want to run fiber and then switch back to copper? Wouldn't you want fiber the whole way? Or is it an end user thing because everyone's routers and modems still have RJ45 ports?
Old 01-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #7

When you have a distance greater than 328’ you can run multi mode fiber and extend the range to over 1500 feet.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:49 PM   #8
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
Sorry, what do you mean by certify? And in what case would you want to run fiber and then switch back to copper? Wouldn't you want fiber the whole way? Or is it an end user thing because everyone's routers and modems still have RJ45 ports?
Cable certification. Some jobs require it (it'll be spec'd).

I did a job with multi mode fiber. It was 450 feet from the Networking rack to the second building. We did fiber between, and used network switches with SFP ports to plug in fiber modules.

Other way to do it is a fiber to copper/copper to fiber adapter and plug that into the existing equipment using a copper patch cord.

Funkadelicfred (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #9

Pro tip• use fiber for long runs for cameras

The_Modifier and gpop like this.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:07 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 46

FYI, POE is Power Over Ethernet. It has nothing to do with the data transmission. It is a method of powering a device using the same cable that the device uses for data transmission, by supplying power over unused pairs in that cable.
Mobius87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:17 AM   #11
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius87 View Post
FYI, POE is Power Over Ethernet. It has nothing to do with the data transmission. It is a method of powering a device using the same cable that the device uses for data transmission, by supplying power over unused pairs in that cable.
Power on the unused pairs is one of the PoE methods. There are different types of PoE. Some use the other pairs, some use the same pairs as the data, and some use all the pairs for high power requirements.

Mobius87 (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius87 View Post
Yeah I know that but at 300 feet doesn't the signal need some help and wouldn't a switch or something like that provide that boost?
Old 01-08-2020, 08:18 AM   #13
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 888

Quote:
Yeah I know that but at 300 feet doesn't the signal need some help and wouldn't a switch or something like that provide that boost?
No, hell no. It's actually not helpful to think of ethernet the way you think about power. And as mentioned PoE is in no way a signal boost.

The distance limits with Ethernet have more to do with timing than loss. Ethernet is carefully engineered around the time it takes a signal sent from one device to reach the device at the other end. The signal travels in the cable at something pretty close to the speed of light. This is why with 10mbit you get away with excessive distances, 100 mbit not so much, gigabit even less.

You want to be as smart as you need to be? Limit of 100m between Ethernet devices wtih Cat 5, Cat 6, Cat 99. Beyond that, you have to get fiber involved. Congratulations, you are now an expert, you PM me your mailing address and I'll send your certificate.
Navyguy and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Quote:
No, hell no. It's actually not helpful to think of ethernet the way you think about power. And as mentioned PoE is in no way a signal boost.

The distance limits with Ethernet have more to do with timing than loss. Ethernet is carefully engineered around the time it takes a signal sent from one device to reach the device at the other end. The signal travels in the cable at something pretty close to the speed of light. This is why with 10mbit you get away with excessive distances, 100 mbit not so much, gigabit even less.

You want to be as smart as you need to be? Limit of 100m between Ethernet devices wtih Cat 5, Cat 6, Cat 99. Beyond that, you have to get fiber involved. Congratulations, you are now an expert, you PM me your mailing address and I'll send your certificate.
Thank you that explanation really helped. I thought it was loss of voltage or something over the distance not signal speed. So anything over 100 m should be fiber.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 9,506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post

I’m going to get all rainman on you

326 feet, 326, definitely 326.

There are several EPoE offerings from various manufactures that boast distances of 600’ and more. I don’t they are IEEE compliant but they have been selling them for a few years so I have to expect that they work.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:07 AM   #16

There is also a product out there called “game changer” cable. It’s ungodly expensive and the jacket in is sticky AF so it’s a real PITA to pull In conduit, I’d have to look at my records but it ran cameras reliably at well over 600’ on IEEE compliant switches.

Another option is Poe over Coax but the cable costs are really high for those longer runs, that’s better for converting existing RG59 to IP
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:07 AM   #17
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post

There are several EPoE offerings from various manufactures that boast distances of 600’ and more. I don’t they are IEEE compliant but they have been selling them for a few years so I have to expect that they work.
326', 328', 330', that's why I said somewhere close. I know its 100M

I know that there are products that will let us go longer than 100M, but I personally wouldn't use them unless special circumstances.

The fiber run I did between buildings could have been copper if I wanted to install a network switch in the electrical room where the conduits left the building. We chose not to do that even though the cost went up significantly.

There are probably 5 ways to do what OP is attempting to do.

five.five-six likes this.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:09 AM   #18
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
Boss ran 300 feet (or so) of CAT6 cable a while ago for a future internet install. 300 feet is pretty far so I have to assume I'm going to need a sort of POE device to beef up the range again so I don't have too much voltage drop? What is the accepted limit for distances of comm cable to be ran before needing a boosting device such as that?
What's going at the end of the cable run?

five.five-six likes this.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #19

Between buildings I always run min 6 strand fiber 62.5/125 for under a mile and 9/125 for anything longer. I did pony up for a termination kit light meter scope and tester and they aren’t that difficult to make up, you just have to setup a table and get into the mindset but it’s not hard to find custom made cables to length with a pulling eye
Old 01-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #20
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 888

100m = 328' Raymond.
So much for working at NASA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post