More responses from Contest thread - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Site Supporter Section > Milbank Manufacturing

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By The_Modifier
  • 1 Post By CTshockhazard

Old 11-09-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
Vendor

Rewards Points: 72
Default More responses from Contest thread

Hey all, Jack has a few more responses from the contest:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I would Milbank to come up with a way compliant with the NEC to install a PVC male adapter or SEU cable connector to the top of their meter pan.

Currently the only fitting available for the top of their meter pan is only listed for rigid pipe, which most likely constitutes a very small portions of today's installations. Having code compliant provisions for installing a PVC, SE, or even EMT connector would make sense since that is what is being installed.
We have a closed top “-O” style that has no opening. A Greenlee style punch could be used to open the top but any connector you use would need to be constructed in such a way that it doesn’t compromise our NEMA 3R rating (i.e. Myer’s Hub). This is very tricky due to the fact you are opening the top of the enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
Other than stack metering I have only installed non-Milbank meter sockets a handful of times. They are the standard around here.

As far as pedestals go, we always build our own. I wouldn't mind using a pre-fabbed enclosure, for sure, but it seems site conditions are always different. The local POCO also wants the meter at 5' to center, so most of those pedestals aren't compliant or listed as an approved socket by the POCO. So out comes unistrut or PT, depending on the application. The only pedestal enclosures I have ever really messed with were for municipal street lighting, so I'm sure the city had more sway as far as what they wanted.
We can custom build these enclosures to accommodate the 5ft meter height required by utilities. That being said, many utilities have approved the standard height pedestals in lieu of minimum height requirements. If you can tell me who your serving utility is, we can let you know where we stand with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlychaw View Post
Surface Mount Power Outlet
U5000 series. It would be nice to see these with 3 nema 5-20's and 2 14-50r's.

They would make a hell of a compact temporary panel for the jobsite. It would sure beat lugging around an old heavy panel with bell boxes, in use covers and that whole mess that goes with supporting it, not to mention the weight of it, vs an almost perfect solution with that
U5000 series
We can build this configuration in an unmetered enclosed control pedestal as opposed to standard U5000 RV style. We can customize these to put whatever receptacles you want inside with sloped front in-use front door so it can be closed and locked while-in-use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
I would like to use their peds also, problem is no one stocks them and they are expensive as hell.
While it is true the material cost of a pedestal is higher than the individual components, when you calculate how much you will save in labor to install, you will find the total owning cost is in most cases actually less.
Milbank_Marissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
Liberal Lesbian

Rewards Points: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milbank_Marissa View Post
Hey all, Jack has a few more responses from the contest:

Quote:
I would Milbank to come up with a way compliant with the NEC to install a PVC male adapter or SEU cable connector to the top of their meter pan.

Currently the only fitting available for the top of their meter pan is only listed for rigid pipe, which most likely constitutes a very small portions of today's installations. Having code compliant provisions for installing a PVC, SE, or even EMT connector would make sense since that is what is being installed.
We have a closed top “-O” style that has no opening. A Greenlee style punch could be used to open the top but any connector you use would need to be constructed in such a way that it doesn’t compromise our NEMA 3R rating (i.e. Myer’s Hub). This is very tricky due to the fact you are opening the top of the enclosure.
That won't work, a Myers hub is the same as the standard meter hub in that it is only made for (and listed for) rigid.

So Milbank will not make (or have made) the product that many of us are looking for?

This is one of those situations in which the manufacturer is completely out of touch with the real world, and how their products are used.

Your main product, a meter pan, does not have a code compliant way to attach the raceway or cable that is used in 95%+ of the installations it is used in.

A standard meter hub that would accept glued-in PVC pipe or threaded connectors would solve this, and that is what we are asking for.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,870

Quote:
That won't work, a Myers hub is the same as the standard meter hub in that it is only made for (and listed for) rigid.

So Milbank will not make (or have made) the product that many of us are looking for?

This is one of those situations in which the manufacturer is completely out of touch with the real world, and how their products are used.

Your main product, a meter pan, does not have a code compliant way to attach the raceway or cable that is used in 95%+ of the installations it is used in.

A standard meter hub that would accept glued-in PVC pipe or threaded connectors would solve this, and that is what we are asking for.
https://www.storeseven.com/carlonmhu...inpvcgray.aspx

wouldn't this do it?

i'm trying to find listing

there's a UNSPSC 39131707 Electrical conduit coupling, i've never heard of UNSPSC but it looks like it might be a global listing agency

and if it isn't listed, there is a section in the code that talks about ability to use discretion when there are no products made to comply with the code. discretion probably isn't the right word, but i think it's something like that. i've never had an inspector check couplings for UL stamps before.
Attached Images

Last edited by Wiresmith; 11-10-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Wiresmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
Liberal Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiresmith View Post
https://www.storeseven.com/carlonmhu...inpvcgray.aspx

wouldn't this do it?

i'm trying to find listing
Yes, that would work for PVC. But that is only listed for Canada.
The_Modifier likes this.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes, that would work for PVC. But that is only listed for Canada.
your AHJ doesn't trust the Canuck huh?

NEC2017

Listed. Equipment, materials, or services included in a list published by an organization that is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction and concerned with evaluation of products or services, that maintains periodic inspection of production of listed equipment or materials or periodic evaluation of services, and whose listing states that either the equipment, material, or service meets appropriate designated standards or has been tested and found suitable for a specified purpose. (CMP-1)

352.6 Listing Requirements. PVC conduit, factory elbows, and associated fittings shall be listed.

i don't see what the problem is with canadian listing, your AHJ doesn't approve?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #6
Liberal Lesbian

Quote:

i don't see what the problem is with canadian listing, your AHJ doesn't approve?
My AHJ has never said a word about it.

I am asking Milbank to either make, or have made, a product to use with their meters that is code compliant for the way their meters are almost always installed.

The PVC fitting that you posted has been discussed in many other threads and is a different topic.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
My AHJ has never said a word about it.

I am asking Milbank to either make, or have made, a product to use with their meters that is code compliant for the way their meters are almost always installed.

The PVC fitting that you posted has been discussed in many other threads and is a different topic.
i'll try to find the old thread, i don't see the problem.

and for the SE cable you could use their blank enclosure and use a sealing ring with a weathertite SE connector and a locknut on the inside.
Name:  sealing ring.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  18.8 KBName:  se connector.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  16.2 KB
i believe all of those options are code compliant and they are the best i know of for those wiring methods coming into the top of the enclosure, with that pvc hub i would use a meter base that comes with the raised knockout(the normal style thats also for a rigid hub of the same style)
Old 11-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #8
Liberal Lesbian

Quote:
i'll try to find the old thread, i don't see the problem.

and for the SE cable you could use their blank enclosure and use a sealing ring with a weathertite SE connector and a locknut on the inside.
Attachment 130014Attachment 130016
i believe all of those options are code compliant and they are the best i know of for those wiring methods coming into the top of the enclosure, with that pvc hub i would use a meter base that comes with the raised knockout(the normal style thats also for a rigid hub of the same style)
We all know about these options, we have been discussing this for over a decade. We want something made for the purpose instead of cobbling things together. Many people are looking for Milbank to make, or have made, the proper products. Milbank asked us what we wanted, this is it.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #9
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 708

Quote:
your AHJ doesn't trust the Canuck huh?
@HackWork, give me your AHJ 's home phone number, I'll get this straightened out in 2 minutes for you.
HackWork likes this.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
Sentimental Mental

Rewards Points: 1,710

Quote:
We all know about these options, we have been discussing this for over a decade. We want something made for the purpose instead of cobbling things together. Many people are looking for Milbank to make, or have made, the proper products. Milbank asked us what we wanted, this is it.
Why even make anything new? They can just get their current hubs listed for use with the threads on connectors.

Nevermind...... it's probably because that would never work safely.

HackWork likes this.

I hate to see her go, but I sure love watching her walk away.
CTshockhazard is offline   Reply With Quote