Asbestos, vs fiberglass, is it safe? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By LARMGUY
  • 1 Post By emtnut

Old 01-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 1,018
Default Asbestos, vs fiberglass, is it safe?

OK, we all know Mesothelioma is a cancer that can be caused by asbestos fibers.

What if anything have they found out about the replacement substance fiberglass? I know every time I get into a ceiling I see all the dust and small fiberglass fibers I'm breathing in.

Gentlemen, I for one do not like the fact I'm breathing in these fibers and attic dust. I am usually in a limited exposure to these fibers so I do not use a mask because it fogs up my glasses which I have to have to see. No one I have known in the industry has acquired any disease from it. Of course, the effects may not manifest itself until well after retirement.

Quote:
Studies, including that conducted by Dr. Mearl F. Stanton of the National Cancer Institute between 1969 and 1977, showed that particles of fiberglass were carcinogenic to animals. Dr. Stanton’s study revealed that fiberglass fibers less than three micrometers in diameter and greater than 20 micrometers in length acted as carcinogens in rats, leading him to conclude that similar effects would probably be seen in humans. However, definitive research in this area has not been conducted.
https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/m...alth-concerns/

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Band Member

Rewards Points: 194

I don't do a lot of attic work, but when I needed a mask I found the same thing. Those little white dust masks are garbage.
I never found one that fit me properly, and I wear readers so they would get fogged up.

I picked up an MSA half mask, and it's super easy to breath in, fits very well, and no fogging. You can get cartridges for just about anything too (including asbestos)
Attached Thumbnails
Asbestos, vs fiberglass, is it safe?-mask.jpg  
MechanicalDVR, Navyguy and splatz like this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
Conservitum Americum

Nice. What are your thoughts on the fiberglass in the body?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
No Longer Here

Rewards Points: 578

My view is that nothing that you breath in is particularly good for you, but most of it won't cause cancer like asbestos will.

While those fibers in the air look bad, they are probably not much/any worse than the dust, dirt, and dander that you also breath in, or else we would have heard about it by now.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 7,880

ACM handling requires a HEPA respirator.
Fiberglass handling requires less then that, 85%.
If you buy a 1/2 face respirator, please have it fit tested. You would be surprised how many people leak a little. A little leakage in not OK. Or so an OSHA inspector once told me. My boss crapped himself when I inquired about it.
A self powered respirator is always the way to go.

The barbs on Asbestos catches in the lungs and cause problems.
Fiberglass does not have those same barbs and will be expelled.

Asbestos tastes pretty good, but Fiberglass tastes bad.
Blues crayons aren’t bad but gray wirenuts cause gas.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
Conservitum Americum

The red and green wirenuts were always too spicy for my tastes.
Wirenuting likes this.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,950

We / I use a half respirator similar to @emtnut (forget who make mine at the moment, pretty sure it is 3M) posted and a bunny suit with a hood.

Cartridges are available pretty much any supply store or big box ($20). I get bunny suits ($10) at Fastenal; they are good for a couple or three tours or one long day.

No financial reason not to use them even if there are no overt issues to breathing the fibreglass.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
Band Member

Rewards Points: 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARMGUY View Post
Same thing as dust or sawdust, mold, or anything else ... I'd rather not have it in my lungs.

When working at my cottage fixer upper, I used Roxul insulation cause I hate even touching pink fiberglass, let alone breathing it.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,014

Quote:
I know 2 people who use to work in a local boat yard sanding fiberglass and bondo. There both dead after suffering from copd.

Another person (work mates wife) went to the doctors and he pulled a single strand 2" long from a bump on her shoulder they think she ate it as a kid 30 years before.

Generally dont eat it or breath to much in and you should be fine. Honestly the rat/bat crap and other good stuff that is in a attic is probably way more dangerous to inhale.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 24,458

Quote:

Small glass fibers in your lungs can't be good causing tiny little punctures or worse getting into your blood stream and traveling throughout your body.

I've worn a mask since I saw my helper blow blood out of his nose after a day of crawlspace work many moons ago.

Being a diver from a young age I've always known how to fit test a mask.

If it fits correctly your glasses won't fog.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #11
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,820

This post gave me cancer.