Attic Safety - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree19Likes

Old 10-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 434
Default Attic Safety

A while back I had a 4" recessed can that would not turn on. It was connected to a Lutron Maestro dimmer switch. Being that it was a 4" halo can I could not access the connections from below as you can on a 6" can so I crawled into the attic to make my repair. I was kind of in a hurry and not thinking of safety as it was hot and I was upset that I had to go in the attic. The soffit I crawled into was metal stud and I got shocked when I cut out the wago connector to replace it with a wire nut. Dummy me I forgot to pull the Fass switch out on the dimmer and companion dimmer. Be careful and don't assume you are safe from being shocked just because the lights look like they are off.
Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Easy For This Useful Post:
Signal1 (10-03-2019)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
zac

Rewards Points: 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
A while back I had a 4" recessed can that would not turn on. It was connected to a Lutron Maestro dimmer switch. Being that it was a 4" halo can I could not access the connections from below as you can on a 6" can so I crawled into the attic to make my repair. I was kind of in a hurry and not thinking of safety as it was hot and I was upset that I had to go in the attic. The soffit I crawled into was metal stud and I got shocked when I cut out the wago connector to replace it with a wire nut. Dummy me I forgot to pull the Fass switch out on the dimmer and companion dimmer. Be careful and don't assume you are safe from being shocked just because the lights look like they are off.
Yeah, any dimmer I see the meter comes out. I got lit up wiring up a chandelier once.
I was holding the chandelier with one hand and twisting the wires with the other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #3

Good thing you didn't drop the chandelier. Don't get me wrong I love the performance and style of the Maestro switch but it can be a problem child in this Scenario. If you were to install one in a bell box with a weatherproof cover and you pull out the FASS switch and then let the cover close it will also push the switch back in. Probably always best practice to open the CB on any circuit you work on. Unfortunately it's not always an option when circuits are not identified. I'm sure someone will chime up and say .. Always kill power before you work on any system. I agree but we all take short cuts at times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 809

I got shocked once on a ceiling fan that I turned off with the remote control because it was hardwired to constant power so there was no switch. I guess the remote circuitry lets some current bleed thru.

This is why I treat everything like it is hot. I avoid touching the hot conductor, I only touch it when not touching anything else, and I put the levernut on it first. That's yet another nice thing about levernuts, you cap off the hot with one first thing, then the hot is always safe and you never have to touch it again. Just put the additional conductors into the levernut when ready.
Bird dog and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #5

Hack .. I can see how levernuts can be a big advantage in that scenario. Attics are just a bad place to be in for any circumstance. I think at the time I got across the neutral and just that low current was enough to shock me. Sweet was probably factors as well. Another good way to get shocked is when you run into a broken raceway and one end is energized because there was no EGC only the raceway and the tail end is hot and the lead end is grounded.
The Following User Says Thank You to Easy For This Useful Post:
Bird dog (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #6

People do dumb things. Especially lazy journeymen. The worst shock I ever felt was on a 277 vt lighting circuit. I pushed open a tile on a t-bar ceiling and was touching the t-bar and some dumb ass left a bare wire hanging out.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 16

Attics can be dangerous by themselves, when they get hot. I went in one once early in the morning when it was cool. The temperature slowly rose over the next couple of hours, slowly enough that I didn't 'feel' how hot it had gotten.

Once I stopped sweating, it dawned on me that I was in trouble and bailed. I figure another 10 minutes and I wouldn't have made it out.

Another one I was climbing through was like a mine field. Multiple live, open splices hidden in the blown in insulation. Got zapped multiple times trying to make my way back to the hatch.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Mobius87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 28

One attic I was in had the points of nails sticking up into the space. There was no where to kneel without getting stuck. I charged triple time for that job.
Service Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I got shocked once on a ceiling fan that I turned off with the remote control because it was hardwired to constant power so there was no switch. I guess the remote circuitry lets some current bleed thru.

This is why I treat everything like it is hot. I avoid touching the hot conductor, I only touch it when not touching anything else, and I put the levernut on it first. That's yet another nice thing about levernuts, you cap off the hot with one first thing, then the hot is always safe and you never have to touch it again. Just put the additional conductors into the levernut when ready.
Quick question, do you have to strip the wire before you put it in the Wago or does it bite to the wire on it’s own?
Old 10-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
Quick question, do you have to strip the wire before you put it in the Wago or does it bite to the wire on it’s own?
You definitely have to strip it. I doubt it would bite thru modern insulation, and it's definitely not rated to do that. Personally, I don't like insulation piercing connectors.
Bird dog and Easy like this.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 968

Quote:
You definitely have to strip it. I doubt it would bite thru modern insulation, and it's definitely not rated to do that. Personally, I don't like insulation piercing connectors.
Yeah wire biters are a little sketchy, but if you're doing hot work in an attic, well they would have a place.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Yeah wire biters are a little sketchy, but if you're doing hot work in an attic, well they would have a place.
I disagree. That's the last place you would want to put a sketchy connection.

Kevin_Essiambre, Easy and CoolWill like this.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,778

I thought this was going to be about attic heat. But electrically, if you don't turn the circuit off, you get what you get.
Bird dog and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:37 PM   #14
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Good thing you didn't drop the chandelier. Don't get me wrong I love the performance and style of the Maestro switch but it can be a problem child in this Scenario. If you were to install one in a bell box with a weatherproof cover and you pull out the FASS switch and then let the cover close it will also push the switch back in. Probably always best practice to open the CB on any circuit you work on. Unfortunately it's not always an option when circuits are not identified. I'm sure someone will chime up and say .. Always kill power before you work on any system. I agree but we all take short cuts at times.
I don't usually kill the power with lighting either. Just recently I was adding a slim LED live. When I was connecting the live, the side of my hand touched the metal driver can. Not a big shock, but I felt it ... and worst of all, someone saw it Makes you look like you don't have a clue.

I didn't know about that Fass switch ? Is that new ???
I don't think I've seen it on the lutrons or levitons that I've used.
Easy likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:48 PM   #15
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
I don't usually kill the power with lighting either. Just recently I was adding a slim LED live. When I was connecting the live, the side of my hand touched the metal driver can. Not a big shock, but I felt it ... and worst of all, someone saw it Makes you look like you don't have a clue.

I didn't know about that Fass switch ? Is that new ???
I don't think I've seen it on the lutrons or levitons that I've used.
I don't know when they introduced the FASS (front accessible service switch).

I do know that all lutron Caseta dimmers and switches have them.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #16

It is easy to miss, unless you read the instructions thoroughly. If you're like me, the instructions never leave the box.

But it's not new, at least not in the past 5+ years.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Maybe it might bight thru some wire on grandmas trailer. lol. Get the 4 conductor stripper so you can work 4 lines at once.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:36 PM   #18

Honestly I imagine the wagos have there place.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:46 PM   #19

Quote:
I just don't think they are as reliable as a wire nut but I do see the time savings element. The ones that Hack showed are the better ones than the push ins. Both types have to be stripped. It's the wave of the future man.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:52 PM   #20

Quote:

lever nuts are same as wire nuts .. yes / no ?