Beards and respirators - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By drsparky

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #1
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 468
Default Beards and respirators

Hi all,

I recently interviewed for a job (and was offered employment), and the manager mentioned that part of the hiring process was respirator fit testing. I have a medium sized beard, and I'd rather not shave it off if I don't have to. Do any of you guys have beards, and have you found a respirator that will pass a fit test with a beard, that doesn't cost as much as a 60" OLED TV? Do hammer drills with built in HEPA dust extractors negate the need to wear one? Let me know what you think. The company I've worked for the last 9 years is fairly lax with this kind of stuff so I've gotten away with not having to do it up to now.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,688

It really depends on the environment and the type of respirator you will get / need.

If it is a "re-breathing" type; the type that either takes your exhaled breath and filters it (Chemox) or if you are drawing air from outside the mask, then you need to have a seal to prevent infiltration.

If it is a "positive air flow" type; the type that comes with a tank and puts air into your breathing mask / hood, then the seal is less important.

When I was a maintenance supervisor, we had ammonia refrigeration system; all the mechanics that worked on it had to be fit tested and needed to be clean shaven for every shift. Although we had a positive air flow system for prolonged exposure, all the emergency / escape masks were the seal type.

On the Navy ship(s) everyone is clean shaven...

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,944

It's fundamentally a matter of balancing the desire to stay healthy with the deaire to have the money. If shaving your beard is worth it to you, do it. But if you value your face hair, tell them to pound walnuts.
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 48

Depends on their rules, the guys I work with Shave for the once a year test. They have full beards all year round. They just keep the stuff to shave if needed IF they have to go into a situation that requires one.
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM   #5
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 2

I keep a beard because I am ugly and it hides some of the ugliness.
MechanicalDVR, zac, dronai and 1 others like this.
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #6
Watt Pusher

Well it looks like if I want to take this job I'll have to shave. Unless I want to spend a couple grand on a powered respirator. Which I don't.

Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #7
zac

Rewards Points: 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nabs View Post
Well it looks like if I want to take this job I'll have to shave. Unless I want to spend a couple grand on a powered respirator. Which I don't.

Sorry B...I always thought you were a chick!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #8
Watt Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Sorry B...I always thought you were a chick!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I mean, who says I'm not?

Old Today, 03:09 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 6

Too bad mine was not that thick but opted to shave it.
cloudy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:27 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,138

I sport a beard, my wife threatens to leave me every time I have to shave it off. But occasionally I have to do refinery work in areas where I am required to carry a rescue respirator, so no beards allowed. I shave it off, do the project, then start growing it back before she finds a lawyer.
Old Today, 05:50 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 7,197

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaef View Post
I sport a beard, my wife threatens to leave me every time I have to shave it off. But occasionally I have to do refinery work in areas where I am required to carry a rescue respirator, so no beards allowed. I shave it off, do the project, then start growing it back before she finds a lawyer.
My ol lady is just the opposite, threatens to shave me in my sleep if I get too fuzzy. She was happy when I was doing refinery work because of the "no facial hair" policy. It was the Nomex coveralls in the summer, over the long sleeved shirt, that really sucked.
Old Today, 08:06 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nabs View Post

I got my MSA full face powered one on e bay for $250 new
Old Today, 10:45 AM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,904

My wife says she is used to me having a goatee but all our female friends tell me they love it...hence it stays.

If you get the mask cowboy was talking about you're good and a positive flow mask is king.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote