Facemasks? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree126Likes

Old 05-25-2020, 08:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
Default Facemasks?

How do you feel about having to wear facemasks on the job?
Steven A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 09:05 PM   #2
MTW

Rewards Points: 12,429

I hate it, especially because anything other than an N95 mask is worthless, and those are impossibly to find now. Wearing cloth or a surgical mask is as good as wearing nothing for a virus with a 99.9% survival rate.

Furthermore, if you're on a site with mandated safety glasses, you spend the day looking at fog. Also, it makes communication difficult, especially on loud commercial sites. I think they create more hazards then they are purported to mitigate.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10,416

We do service and repair, and it doesn't bother me a bit. It makes me money and secures me jobs at the moment.

Does the mask do much for actual protection? Maybe, maybe not. But it has great psychological value, and creates in the mind of certain customers that you care for them.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 09:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

I’m not required to, I just do it out of respect for my customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flyboy and oldsparky52 like this.
pjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
I hate it, especially because anything other than an N95 mask is worthless, and those are impossibly to find now. Wearing cloth or a surgical mask is as good as wearing nothing for a virus with a 99.9% survival rate.

Furthermore, if you're on a site with mandated safety glasses, you spend the day looking at fog. Also, it makes communication difficult, especially on loud commercial sites. I think they create more hazards then they are purported to mitigate.
Its like wearing a hard hat in the middle of a field. Useless but required so its a waste of time complaining about it.
gpop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,120

Don't wear one. Not required, as we're usually by ourselves 99.5% of the time. The remaining time we are managing it. It's tough to stay 6' apart on some jobs..
macmikeman likes this.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpop View Post
Its like wearing a hard hat in the middle of a field. Useless but required so its a waste of time complaining about it.
Wearing a hard hat in a field serves a purpose. Hides the need for a haircut and protects from the sun or rain.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 926

There are many articles about over 60% of N95 face masks failed to meet standards. Some only filtered out 20% and not the 95% as it is supposed to. They could give a false sense of security. Think of the front line workers thinking that they are protected. How many got sick because of these defective masks?
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #9
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 354

Wearing a mask in public is to prevent the wearer sneezing or coughing and spreading the virus to others. Keeps the snot and droplets near the wearer instead of shooting across the room. It is not to prevent you from catching the virus.

A 95 mask, properly fitted is to prevent the wearer from catching a virus in controlled situations, think healthcare or public safety workers. I had to shave my long time beard to get a good fit during respirator training.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #10
MTW

Rewards Points: 12,429

It really isn't about masks. It's about the fear and paranoia that our so-called leaders have instilled in the masses. When I see people driving cars alone with masks on, I realize that I'm living in a society where a large percentage of the population are lunatics, zombififed, or have completely checked out mentally.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #11
Liberal Lesbian

Rewards Points: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1jb1 View Post
There are many articles about over 60% of N95 face masks failed to meet standards. Some only filtered out 20% and not the 95% as it is supposed to. They could give a false sense of security. Think of the front line workers thinking that they are protected. How many got sick because of these defective masks?
That mask might have failed to stop all contaminants from entering. But if everyone in the room is wearing a mask, there will be less risk in the air.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:02 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10,416

Quote:
It really isn't about masks. It's about the fear and paranoia that our so-called leaders have instilled in the masses. When I see people driving cars alone with masks on, I realize that I'm living in a society where a large percentage of the population are lunatics, zombififed, or have completely checked out mentally.
Maybe they are going from one store to another, and instead of taking the mask on and off, they choose to leave it on.

The less a mask is removed and adjusted, the better off a person is. Taking the mask on/off only serves to cross contaminate.
zac likes this.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:10 PM   #13
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 21,833

Taking a syringe filled with 40 different poisons is another good way to cross contaminate yourself.
MTW likes this.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,900

Quote:

PPE alleviates fear and paranoia.
TGGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #15
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 3,416

A virus, by its nature, is small......very small. If a face mask were made to stop it completely, you wouldn't be able to breathe through it.

I doubt if face masks do much of anything to stop the spread so my conspiracy theory is this; I believe that the face mask thing is intended mostly to see just exactly how many people will blindly believe whatever the government tells them.

Looking back, I firmly believe that the nationwide 55 MPH speed limit foisted on us in the 70s had 2 purposes;

1) To see how many people would obey an obviously ridiculous law.

2) To raise funds and thus give government even more ability to abuse us.

Ok, flame on........
macmikeman, glen1971, MTW and 1 others like this.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #16
Liberal Lesbian

Rewards Points: 374

The size of the virus itself doesn’t matter when the virus is being transmitted through droplets that it’s encapsulated in. And the masks are helping to limit the spread of those droplets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
Superman (06-06-2020), TGGT (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #17
Dope-less Hope Fiend

Rewards Points: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
A virus, by its nature, is small......very small. If a face mask were made to stop it completely, you wouldn't be able to breathe through it.

I doubt if face masks do much of anything to stop the spread so my conspiracy theory is this; I believe that the face mask thing is intended mostly to see just exactly how many people will blindly believe whatever the government tells them.

Looking back, I firmly believe that the nationwide 55 MPH speed limit foisted on us in the 70s had 2 purposes;

1) To see how many people would obey an obviously ridiculous law.

2) To raise funds and thus give government even more ability to abuse us.

Ok, flame on........

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Dan the electricman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #18
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 21,833

Speaking of sheeple, You out stompin for Sleepy Joe yet Dan?
MTW likes this.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:39 PM   #19
zac

Rewards Points: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
Maybe they are going from one store to another, and instead of taking the mask on and off, they choose to leave it on.

The less a mask is removed and adjusted, the better off a person is. Taking the mask on/off only serves to cross contaminate.
I agree. It's easy to make judgements without all the facts. I don't disagree with the paranoia though. Everyone is wired differently.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:46 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 398

See, how many theories and opinions did we get in just 18 posts? The so called experts and our wonderful fake news outlets have twisted this thing around to the extreme. Since I wear glasses and any mask I have tried kept me completely fogged up (And how safe is that when you are constantly having to work on circuits that are hot?) I'm glad that None of the trades here are wearing them, at least on any of the projects I have been on. If I get infected with COVID-19 I will let you know... Well, that is if Rose's hasn't hauled me off.