Have you ever been shocked? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree38Likes

Old 08-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 40
Default Have you ever been shocked?

I was at an apartment building that I have been servicing for a number of years when one of the tenants asked me if I had ever received an electrical shock. This got me to thinking about how the industry has changed over the years which we all see when working on older buildings 40s 50s and recently built
Certainly one can look at the electrics from past era and see that there was little concern about safety, in today’s climate where OSHA NEC and local codes mandate a climate of safety for US and our clients it’s mostly good.

My question in this thread: “what is your most memorable shock”

I’ll start:
I was tasked to install a class-II radio remote line from a two-way transmitter at the Waukegan coal generating station to the operators counsel. I was tight wrapping a Belden for conductor cable to various pipes and conduits in the building from the penthouse down to the ground floor operators room and then along a cable chase to the operators counsel. As I was dragging a step ladder along the floor every few feet I decided that this was a pain in the butt and that I would walk on top of the substantial electrical switch board.
When I reached up to tie wrap my cable I received bite worthy of a rattlesnake, the Com-Ed operator knot my hand loose with a broom. (Thank God Edison lost the current wars) He explained that they use 115 VDC to control switching in the plan. After I carefully completed the installation I took out my then state-of-the-art Simpson 260 and measured over 100 VDC between the cable tray and the operators counsel.
Mack Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 66

Was testing a water control yesterday, it's been a while since I got a poke. Got careless swapping a noload pumptec control back and forth and touched the capacitor.

Most memorable one was the first one, as an apprentice I touched a 3 way and turned a light on with my hand. It was brown but I felt every hertz in the line. Bugged me for a few days.
FishinElectrcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,221

My biggest shock came when the first time I listened to the Alex Jones radio show.
five.five-six, MTW and 0day like this.
Drudge Report
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8,962

My biggest shock came in 2016 when Trump won the election.
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to five.five-six For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (08-07-2019), MikeFL (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,827

This thread got me thinking about all the stupid chit I did back in the day that lead to me getting shocked on numerous occasions. I either didn't de-energize the circuit, wasn't wearing PPE or just plain didn't follow proper electrical safety procedures.

I think I'm going to just pass on the details. It's too embarrassing.
dronai, glen1971, Bird dog and 2 others like this.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 468

I received my most memorable shock long before I was even an electrician. I've always loved taking things apart, and one day when I was about 12 I was dismantling a disposable film camera. In the process my finger pushed on the switch for the flash, so the capacitor charged. I didn't notice and continued on my merry way, until I touched the top of the cap and got thrown back by the discharge.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,634

As an apprentice we were working a reno for K-Mart, remember them. No lockouts and every time we turned a breaker off, some lady would come by behind us and turn it back on. I would get my morning wake up shock every day that summer.

The most memorable one was changing parking lot lights at a mall. 105 ft up, leaning out of the basket, I think I got an open neutral 347V. I felt it go up one arm into my shoulder and down the other arm from the other shoulder. The kid helping me in the basket said "boy did your eyes pop out". At least I jumped back into the basket.

Tim.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 14
Default 480 corner grounded delta system

One time when bumping a motor for rotation my finger went from the Ol heater to the coil frame of the starter. Saw stars and had a hole in my finger, yes that was 480v to ground not 277v.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,551

480 blew off the tip of my pinky finger once . ONCE .

Electricity don't fell pain and don't care if you do . Be safe .
catsparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,868

Most memorable one, was when a journeyman I was working with got hipotted while we were working in a reactor cage on a 25,000 hp motor. We had it locked out as per our LOTO. We showed the testing guy which cables needed to be retested, and had them loosened off for him to about 2 threads each. We also flagged the cables he was to test on both ends. He clamped his lead on the crimp lug and began to test, energizing the cable, the motor, the other 5 motor cables, the 6 cables to the reactor, and the reactor itself.
When my buddy got shocked he said "this f&%king this is hot!". I went inside and asked if there would be a reason it would be hot and the guy doing the test said "Yes, give me a minute to shut it down!". Talking with my buddy afterwards, he said if the guy doing the test would not have been so old, he woulda laid him out for that one once he got out. The guy was about 60ish, and that was his last job on that site.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,688

Most memorable was 120v, 600 cycles on a gun mount.
The later ones seemed insignificant.

The stuff is unforgiving.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 8,514

I remember every 277volt hit.
The first one was as a second-year apprentice from an exit light.
I was holding a piece of greenfield and pulled a red wire nut out of the box. Someone didn't make a good splice and the hot conductor came out and touched my finger. I fell off of a six-foot ladder into a trash pile.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Southeast Power For This Useful Post:
LARMGUY (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 08:41 PM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 2,174

First one I was just a kid. With the guys changing a service on a house and the meter was pulled. My jman was removing the old fuse box and I was changing an old push button switch for the back porch light. Pulled the switch out of the box and when I grabbed it to loosen the conductor screws it bit me. The back porch light was feed from the attached store with a separate service. Nobody believed when I said it was still hot.

Working on control relays in a ceiling, I had pulled the tile out and went up the ladder to open up the relay box. One hand one the box removing the cover and my neck hit the grid and I jumped off the ladder. The grid was hot from the 277v lay ins.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #14
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
I remember every 277volt hit.
The first one was as a second-year apprentice from an exit light.
I was holding a piece of greenfield and pulled a red wire nut out of the box. Someone didn't make a good splice and the hot conductor came out and touched my finger. I fell off of a six-foot ladder into a trash pile.
Were we working the same building?

I saw a guy do that. Dark shoulder length hair right? You cussed a blue streak too.

I was pulling access control banana cable above the ceiling grid and my arm brushed the grid while I was holding a conduit to stabilize myself. Whoooaaah!

That had to be 277 at least. Yes it did leave a mark.

Last edited by LARMGUY; 08-07-2019 at 10:27 PM.
LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,551

My best hit I ever took .

Remodeling a service center I had to remove the 4 foot fluorescent lights turned off the power and removed them . Well it was like 120 degrees so I turned the power on to run the fans on the ceiling . Unboxed the new lights jumped up on the work bench to hang the first light . Grabbed the mc cable striped it back hung the light and stripped the wires . Now my hot neutral and ground have bare ends hanging out of the light .

Now my helper ask me what's next . I lay him out on what to demo next . I jump back up on the work bench . Now I'm looking at the spinning fan so I don't get hit by the blades . Well I walked into the hot wire hanging out of the fixture and take 120 right to the head . The hit caused my to yank my head back and the back of my head gets tagged by the fan . The fan made me jerk forward back into the hot wires again . I repeated that process 4 times before I fell on my back on the work bench and then rolled onto the floor .

My helper is busting up laughing . I told him that's not funny . He says yes yes it is . Bout an hour later I walked up to my helper and said " ok yeah its funny " . Then I went to the store got some beer came back and watched my helper work while I had some beers .

Love my job good time good times .
zac, readydave8, wcord and 1 others like this.
catsparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #16
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARMGUY View Post
Were we working the same building?

I saw a guy do that. Dark shoulder length hair right? You cussed a blue streak too.

I was pulling access control banana cable above the ceiling grid and my arm brushed the grid while I was holding a conduit to stabilize myself. Whoooaaah!

That had to be 277 at least. Yes it did leave a mark.

I hear they make color safe bleach for those marks!

Old 08-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 846

Found a crack in the insulation on a live 2.4Kv bus with the back of my hand. Didn't actually touch it but had 7 little tiny burn marks in a row on the back of one finger.

Not the least bit religious but, if there ever was something I would describe as the wrath of God, that would be it.

Not one of my crowning achievements...........
joe-nwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:18 PM   #18
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-nwt View Post
Found a crack in the insulation on a live 2.4Kv bus with the back of my hand. Didn't actually touch it but had 7 little tiny burn marks in a row on the back of one finger.

Not the least bit religious but, if there ever was something I would describe as the wrath of God, that would be it.

Not one of my crowning achievements...........

That didn't give you a little religion?

Old 08-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 40

Thank you people for your shocking recollections, from time to time I rationalize safety for productivity your threads and helped reinforce my better judgment.

Webster’s definition of an accident is: 1a: an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance.
I think it’s clear from your comments that experience has given us more insight so help reduce the unforeseen part of the accident scenario,I guess I can do a better job of planning but look out for circumstances they could be a killer.

Be safe
Mack Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #20
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbug View Post
As an apprentice we were working a reno for K-Mart, remember them. No lockouts and every time we turned a breaker off, some lady would come by behind us and turn it back on. I would get my morning wake up shock every day that summer.

The most memorable one was changing parking lot lights at a mall. 105 ft up, leaning out of the basket, I think I got an open neutral 347V. I felt it go up one arm into my shoulder and down the other arm from the other shoulder. The kid helping me in the basket said "boy did your eyes pop out". At least I jumped back into the basket.

Tim.
And after the first time someone didn't think to bring in some lockouts? Or lock the panel door? Not even a hokey piece of tape with "do not energize" written on it?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk