OHSA 10 or 30 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree21Likes

Old 01-01-2020, 06:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16
Default OHSA 10 or 30

Does anyone know if there are any reputable agencies that offer OSHA training online? Thanks
charliec2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #2
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliec2828 View Post
Does anyone know if there are any reputable agencies that offer OSHA training online? Thanks

OSHA is very clear that it is not acceptable. Mostly because of the obvious opportunity for cheating.
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulengr View Post
OSHA is very clear that it is not acceptable. Mostly because of the obvious opportunity for cheating.

There are online companies that you can use in lieu of a classroom setting. Go to OSHA online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michel likes this.
VELOCI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,305

Quote:
I am getting sick of you. STFU.

https://www.osha.gov/dte/outreach/tr...providers.html
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (01-03-2020), TGGT (01-04-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 342

http://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/standa...ons/2012-08-02

Same with electrical, mining, and most other training requirements. It is always “part” but not 100%.
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:07 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 16

Thanks, much appreciated.
charliec2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
http://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/standa...ons/2012-08-02

Same with electrical, mining, and most other training requirements. It is always “part” but not 100%.
That link is about first-aid and CPR, not OSHA 10 or 30.
Kevin_Essiambre and michel like this.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks, much appreciated.
I did OSHA 10 for my father not that long ago, I forget which company I used, but just look for a decent one at a good price. And make sure to take the "Construction" course, as there are a few different types.
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (01-03-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #9
Trained Monkey

Rewards Points: 990

Quote:

False...That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works.

Quote:

I took my OSHA 30 through www.clicksafety.com and they issued me an OSHA approved card. There is a 30 hour timer and it will actually take you a little longer than 33 hours with the introduction.
HackWork, dronai, michel and 2 others like this.

Last edited by TheLivingBubba; 01-01-2020 at 10:28 AM. Reason: corrected spelling mistake
TheLivingBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I did OSHA 10 for my father not that long ago, I forget which company I used, but just look for a decent one at a good price. And make sure to take the "Construction" course, as there are a few different types.

IBEW now has (maybe a federal requirement) voice prints and ID’s so when you do an online class through the NJATC the computer calls to verify you are the person on the computer taking the class. I’m sure there are ways around that but it’s more convenient than investing a day(s) going to a physical class.

HackWork likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to VELOCI3 For This Useful Post:
HackWork (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingBubba View Post
There is a 30 hour timer and it will actually take you a little longer than 33 hours with the introduction.
Yup, OSHA 10 took me 11 hours.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Yup, OSHA 10 took me 11 hours.

OSHA 30 took me 33 hours plus a hard drive cause threw my laptop across the room at 32 hours thinking this is bull****

HackWork and TheLivingBubba like this.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
Trained Monkey

Rewards Points: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELOCI3 View Post
IBEW now has (maybe a federal requirement) voice prints and ID’s so when you do an online class through the NJATC the computer calls to verify you are the person on the computer taking the class. I’m sure there are ways around that but it’s more convenient than investing a day(s) going to a physical class.

Quote:
OSHA 30 took me 33 hours plus a hard drive cause threw my laptop across the room at 32 hours thinking this is bull****

My local hall has OSHA 30 but it is over 5 Saturdays and is just much more convenient to do as you please on the internet. Spending two or three hours when you please to do it, vs having to show up 5 Saturdays in row; I'm inclined to think that you're going to be able to take away more info and retain it.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #14

Quote:
My local hall has OSHA 30 but it is over 5 Saturdays and is just much more convenient to do as you please on the internet. Spending two or three hours when you please to do it, vs having to show up 5 Saturdays in row; I'm inclined to think that you're going to be able to take away more info and retain it.

I did it on the boss’ time little by little. I like my saturdays

Old 01-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #15
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 968

I haven't taken this but could it be any worse than the lead paint training we had to take awhile back. God that was awful.
stiffneck and kb1jb1 like this.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #16

Quote:
The online course forces you to pay attention. The reason why it took me 11 hours for the 10 hour course is because I didn't pay enough attention and I had to go back to find the right answers to the questions.

I took the 30 hour course at the IBEW and didn't pay any attention.
five.five-six, Bird dog and MrMojo like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
Bird dog (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,408

Treat online classes like any class/course with quizzes & tests. Take notes including the quiz questions, because, next time through you can look for the specific answer & quiz questions like to appear on tests.
btw, the section on grinders was really good. Never heard it before.

Popcorn munching forum observer
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu

Last edited by Bird dog; 01-01-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 2

I took OSHA10 through AdvanceOnline (one of their approved sites) but never got the card. I contacted them and verified my address, and they were supposed to send another card, but I didn’t receive it either.

I did print the certificate at the end of the training which so far has got me into any site that’s required it.
michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 66

Quote:

American Safety Council follows the same principal. Every time you pass the quiz, they ask questions pertaining to information you added upon registration. If the information does not match, they give you a warning that you will get kicked out if you continue to put false information.

I would have finished the course today but, I exceeded the 7.5 hour mark. The only issue you will encounter taking the 30-hour course is running out the clock. With the American Safety Council, the clock must reach zero in order to take the quiz.

They also offer an timeout system. If you think you can just play the videos and not be around, you may find your account was logged off due to inactivity when you were prompt to click the box to stay online. It pops up sporadically.

American Safety council also offers 24 hour help (they respond in around 3-4 minutes) in the event you get stuck along the way. They do require for you to tell them your date of birth, email address in addition to screen name for verification before they will answer your question.
Amperage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #20

They had those verification questions when I did my father's OSHA 10. I had him on the phone when I first entered the info so he could tell me anything that I did not already know, and I remembered what they were.

But the test I took was harder than the one Amperage mentioned. You had to answer questions at the end of each module so if you did not pay attention you had to go back and look up the info. By the second module you learned that it was in your own best interest to pay attention. And it ended up taking me 11 hours as I mentioned above.

Now the driver's safety course that I took online was different. I was able to zip right thru that quickly answering all the questions and had an hour and change to run out in the end.