Summertime Highs - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree34Likes

Old 08-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,230
Default Summertime Highs

Sorry stoners, not that kind of highs.

We're in our typical summer weather pattern with high 93 with chance of (at times quite dramatic) storms. It's been that way for a month or 2 and it will remain that way for a month or two.

I don't know that I've ever seen 100 degrees here but I sure had when I lived up north. Even 95 is quite rare in a forecast. Usually if it hits 93 or 94 the sky opens up and cools it down. It's actually quite nice (says the guy who sits in the A/C for 95% of his work day).

If there are outdoor activities, try to plan/ schedule the activities with no shade for earliest in the day. For some all work has no shade and that is a challenge.

Anyway, what are the highest temperatures you work in and where?

Do you guys in Canada ever see 100F?
I believe I remember 105F in Baltimore before moving to FL almost 30 years ago.

As to "feels like" which used to be labeled "heat index" that's a lie.
If the thermometer says it's 95, it's 95.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,561

We will see close to 100 here this week. Very rare. I wish I could save it for the dog days of February.
glen1971 and MikeFL like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,110

It's 72* in my office right now.
MikeFL likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

We have had a great couple or 3 months up here. 30 C (86 F). Forecast for 36 C (96.8 F)in Calgary this Friday. I might be near there... going to visit the Dino Bones and granddaughter.

As to 'Feels like'. Most important and far better than the thermometer.

^^ You have to live in 'winter country' to appreciate this. For example I live in 'sunny' Alberta. In the spring say it's 0 C (32 F). Looking out the window and seeing the sun melting the snow and having the winter doldrums you whip on your shorts and go for a jog.

Now had you listened to radio instead of looking at your thermometer you would know that in 15 minutes the wind will be picking up. Making it 'feel like' -40

You can and will do serious harm to your pecker at -40 in shorts and 15 minutes from home.
99cents and glen1971 like this.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by daveEM; 08-07-2018 at 11:21 AM.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
MTW

Rewards Points: 7,316

Very rarely hits 100 but high 80's, low 90's with high humidity is the norm here for the summer months.
cabletie likes this.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,085

TuesdayPartly Cloudy7969
WednesdayRain7969
ThursdayScattered Showers7972
FridayScattered Thunderstorms7972
SaturdayPartly Cloudy8071
MikeFL likes this.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,814

Currently 88*

Later 90*

Tonight 75*

Tomorrow 91*

Been running about like thta for a few weeks with a good amount of rain to cool things off for a short time but then the humidity kicks back up.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
TuesdayPartly Cloudy7969
WednesdayRain7969
ThursdayScattered Showers7972
FridayScattered Thunderstorms7972
SaturdayPartly Cloudy8071
Are you in a cold spot? What's the ocean temperature out there? It must be somewhere in the low 70's which is kind of cool for that latitude.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #9
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,085

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
Are you in a cold spot? What's the ocean temperature out there? It must be somewhere in the low 70's which is kind of cool for that latitude.
Things are normal. It will be hotter in September and October. Normal. Our weather is different than anywhere else. And better. But September and October are hellish cause the trade winds tend to go silent and the humidity sets in. On the other hand , the big wave season starts up in late September or early October and nobody seems to care about the muggy weather cause the entire island is more or less gone surf crazy.
MikeFL likes this.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,274

Like MTW said, high 80s low 90s mostly with high humidity.

Ocean temperature is 77 now. I'm 15 minutes from the beach, so I'm there four days a week. Just hit home after work grab the wife and kid and jump in the ocean. Just swim for an hour and a half and head home. That time of day there's no life guards, and most times there are few to no one there. I got a what used to be a free spot right between two beach clubs. They had to screw it up after Sandy and pave a piece of it and add parking meters. A buck an hour isn't to bad. I always have a spot to park. No getting stuck in the sand.
MikeFL likes this.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #11
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 1,974

HHH, 98* here right now. It almost looks like fog across the ballfield that I'm working next to.
I wish I could wear shorts to work sometimes.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #12
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
It's 72* in my office right now.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,566

Today it's 29C (84F) outside, in the office it is 22C (72F) and in the compressor building, next to the machine that isn't running it is 36C (97F). Guess where I've got work to do today? Not too much in the cool areas today.. lol..
On the Southeast side of Alberta, they are calling for 40C (104F) for Friday and that is at the airport, so downtown it will be a tad warmer.. The warmest outside temp I've worked in was in SW Saskatchewan and that was around 45C (113F) and I came out of a building to cool off that day..
I'll take the heat over the winter any day. I don't have to shovel anything on days like this!!

On the flip side, the coldest I've worked in was -53C (-63F) doing a flare stack in northern BC...
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #14
MTW

Wait...it actually gets above 50 degrees in Canada?
Old 08-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #15
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 3,566

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
Wait...it actually gets above 50 degrees in Canada?
50F? lol.. Yeah a fair amount.. 50C (122F), gets close in some places.. With the dash in front of it, yes it does..
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:01 PM   #17
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,428

The weather app on my phone shows tomorrow is 108F and Thur 111F. Ridiculous.

We're cutting out at 3 and only working 8's rather than 10's. Unless I run out of water first, then it'll be sooner. Two of the guys wanted to start at 5am tomorrow, I told them it's their decision, fine by me!!!
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:49 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 80

When I first moved to California I worked on a roof of Patton State Hospital for the criminal insane which is in the inland empire and we had temperatures in the 120's on the roof which was white and reflected all the heat right back at you. I was doing EMS work and had temperature sensors all over the place so there was no doubt how hot it was up there. The rigid conduit was so hot it could burn your hands through gloves so we had to keep it out of the way and in the shade. Three of us would drink close to five gallons of water a day and while we were up there their were a bunch of Hispanic dude's doing asbestos removal with plastic suites on and wearing long sleeve shirts underneath. They acted like it was just another average day.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:04 AM   #19
zac

Rewards Points: 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterchuck View Post
When I first moved to California I worked on a roof of Patton State Hospital for the criminal insane which is in the inland empire and we had temperatures in the 120's on the roof which was white and reflected all the heat right back at you. I was doing EMS work and had temperature sensors all over the place so there was no doubt how hot it was up there. The rigid conduit was so hot it could burn your hands through gloves so we had to keep it out of the way and in the shade. Three of us would drink close to five gallons of water a day and while we were up there their were a bunch of Hispanic dude's doing asbestos removal with plastic suites on and wearing long sleeve shirts underneath. They acted like it was just another average day.
The "IE". Always a bonus when the air quality is bad as well. Concerning the long sleeve.... notice that whenever you see middle easterners in the desert there wearing longsleves and robes?
They do that because the sweat actually cools you down and protects you from the sun's rays. Whenever I work with rod busters, they usually sport the same garb, of course without the robes. However I don't understand what their staying as well!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #20
BDB

Rewards Points: 584

We sometimes have 110 - 115 for 8 - 10 days straight. Then we get what the local weatherman calls a "cold front" come in and it knocks it down to about 100 for a few weeks.
BDB is offline   Reply With Quote