Test Meter ratings - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By Easy
  • 2 Post By michel
  • 1 Post By Wirenuting

Old 10-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 684
Default Test Meter ratings

What are the regulations for hand held test meters? Also who regulates the requirements? What is CAT ratings about? I use a Cat 4 meter but I still have a solenoid tester as well. It's not like I'll be looking at a 12kv system with a wiggy but I still have one that I use from time to time.
Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,308

Cat 4 is outside, Cat 3 is inside only. ( i believe this is based on low voltage which is under 600v)

No idea about cat 1 or 2 but its probably less than 600v
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #3
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 92

Fluke has a good article that covers the CAT ratings, pictures and everything

The solenoid tester is controversial LOL but some do have a CAT rating, for example the Knopp.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fluke-ABCsOfMultimeterSafety.pdf (636.1 KB, 31 views)
Easy (10-17-2019), telsa (10-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 09:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpop View Post
Cat 4 is outside, Cat 3 is inside only. ( i believe this is based on low voltage which is under 600v)

No idea about cat 1 or 2 but its probably less than 600v
Ok.. I see this on my old Ideal meter and it says CAT.4 at 600V and CAT 3 at 1,000V Who wants to work 1k in a wet locations anyways. Looking for some floaties for my meter. LOL
Old 10-18-2019, 12:48 AM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Ok.. I see this on my old Ideal meter and it says CAT.4 at 600V and CAT 3 at 1,000V Who wants to work 1k in a wet locations anyways. Looking for some floaties for my meter. LOL

I guess you never work on roof top or exterior equipment in foul weather?
bill39 likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:08 AM   #6
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,025

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I guess you never work on roof top or exterior equipment in foul weather?
Los Angeles. What foul weather? Oh, you mean smog...........
MikeFL likes this.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,630

Quote:
The cat rating is the max Transient Spike it can withstand and NOT the working voltage.

Read the Fluke pages that were mentioned.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Coffee drinking member

Quote:
What are the regulations for hand held test meters? Also who regulates the requirements? What is CAT ratings about? I use a Cat 4 meter but I still have a solenoid tester as well. It's not like I'll be looking at a 12kv system with a wiggy but I still have one that I use from time to time.
Keep in mind that a sub station can blow 30 miles away and send a spike screaming down the line. It sounds impressive when it hits a buildings transformer.
Attached Thumbnails
Test Meter ratings-6e7c00ea-f7c6-43b4-8fbd-e75600777f2b.jpeg  

Old 10-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #9

This graphic explains it better than just inside or outside of a building. I guess it's saying that down stream from the meter regardless of the fact that it is outside or inside would be Cat 3 and on the line side of the meter would be Cat 4. But when I look at Fluke's description it says"Three-phase at utility connection,any outdoor conductors" = Cat 4 ... When in doubt always use a CAT 4 meter. I would imagine that the test leads are also an important safety consideration as well. Thanks for these good examples.
Wirenuting likes this.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
This graphic explains it better than just inside or outside of a building. I guess it's saying that down stream from the meter regardless of the fact that it is outside or inside would be Cat 3 and on the line side of the meter would be Cat 4. But when I look at Fluke's description it says"Three-phase at utility connection,any outdoor conductors" = Cat 4 ... When in doubt always use a CAT 4 meter. I would imagine that the test leads are also an important safety consideration as well. Thanks for these good examples.

Yeah it looks like it's not just inside or outside, but also whether or not it's downstream from the meter. Inside but upstream from the meter is still CAT4, and outside but downstream is also CAT4 (feed to outbuilding).

It has to be both downstream from the meter AND inside to be dropped from CAT4 to CAT3.
Wirenuting and Easy like this.
michel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
Coffee drinking member

Quote:
Quality leads are with the money spent.
They should be rated for the working voltage of the meter used.
Easy likes this.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:41 PM   #12
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 332

The whole CAT thing has nothing to do with environmental ratings and the chart is useless in say an industrial environment which is precisely what on that chart? And if you are working on an actual utility environment only going to 600 to 1000 V is not very encouraging.

All the ratings have to do with is that UL hits the meter with a high voltage surge with a certain impedance for a certain number of seconds to simulate the meter getting hit with a surge. Generally speaking going up in CAT rating means going up one level in surge rating so that for instance CAT IV/600 V which used to be the end of the chart is the same as CAT III/1000 V. See the following:

https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/...t-iii-iv/3717/

All that the meter manufacturers do is modify the circuit board to move the inputs farther apart so that it can’t arc over;
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paulengr For This Useful Post:
Easy (10-20-2019)
Old Today, 05:08 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 4

What I Would like safely worked
Bonnie54 is offline   Reply With Quote