Anyone on the Long Island rail road as an apprentice? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree1Likes

Old 05-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28
Default Anyone on the Long Island rail road as an apprentice?

Just looking to explore my options.. if anyone is on can you share what the starting wages are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
parks23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 38

There is really not an apprenticeship per se. Some departments have helper positions, like 3rd rail. Basically you just apply for positions you see online, take a test and have an interview. Once in you are on probation for a year. After that you can apply for positions in other departments when they post. Full wage right now for most electricians is 36.91. You'd start at 70% of that, about 26/hr. Takes like 7 years to reach top pay, 70,70,75,80,90,95 and then 100%, I think. Overtime depends, some departments get tons, others not so much. If you're hungry for money you'll find your way to one of the ones with heavy OT.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
dreamcrusher28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 23,896

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcrusher28 View Post
There is really not an apprenticeship per se. Some departments have helper positions, like 3rd rail. Basically you just apply for positions you see online, take a test and have an interview. Once in you are on probation for a year. After that you can apply for positions in other departments when they post. Full wage right now for most electricians is 36.91. You'd start at 70% of that, about 26/hr. Takes like 7 years to reach top pay, 70,70,75,80,90,95 and then 100%, I think. Overtime depends, some departments get tons, others not so much. If you're hungry for money you'll find your way to one of the ones with heavy OT.
Sounds pretty decent!

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #4

When I was looking at the positions online (newsday) they have all the positions and salaries dating back to 2009. The positions say "lineman cable splice apprentice" "lineman cable splicer" and "lineman cable splice truck driver".

Old 06-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:

Are you saying there is no apprenticeship? Or that's basically what the apprenticeship is?

Old 06-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:

And full wage is 36 an hour for the rail road? Or 36 an hour in general for electricians

Old 06-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #7

I'd just Google mta jobs and try to find something directly related to the RR. Forget the site but it posts all MTA stuff, LIRR, TA, Metro North, etc.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:33 PM   #8

[QUOTE=parks23;3991585]
Quote:

Are you saying there is no apprenticeship? Or that's basically what the apprenticeship is?

Every department is different and I don't know much about the others, I'm in the Substation dept and we're kind of isolated, don't really work with other depts often. I know M of E when you get the job it's like a 6 month class mixed with OJT. Pretty sure there's no official NJATC apprenticeship. We've hired numerous guys halfway through their Local 25 or 3 apprenticeship. Basically if you can pass the test you're one of us, we'll teach ya!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #9

[quote=dreamcrusher28;3991945]
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks23 View Post

Every department is different and I don't know much about the others, I'm in the Substation dept and we're kind of isolated, don't really work with other depts often. I know M of E when you get the job it's like a 6 month class mixed with OJT. Pretty sure there's no official NJATC apprenticeship. We've hired numerous guys halfway through their Local 25 or 3 apprenticeship. Basically if you can pass the test you're one of us, we'll teach ya!

What is the test on? I'm really hoping I can try and apply to be a lineman some but it sounds like it doesn't work that way :/

Old 06-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #10

And that 37/hr will likely be getting a small bump. We're currently working off the old contract that expired in December. So when the new one gets finalized we get back pay. TA just got 2.5% so im guessing we'll get something similar.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:52 PM   #11

Every departments test is different, some are easier than others. But if being a lineman is your goal you want to be in the High Tension department. But don't sit around and wait for them to post a job. Can't stress this enough, get a job in ANY department you can, even completely unrelated to electrical work, you can move after a year, when a job is posted. It may take longer but in the meantime you never know what you'll find. I'm really happy where I am but I could of taken several shots at jobs that pay more, some in management roles, and seemed pretty interesting. If I were a younger man I may have done that. But at the current time I couldn't imagine liking a job better than the one I have.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:57 PM   #12

Also the Communications dept has lineman too. So that's another option once you are here.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Also the Communications dept has lineman too. So that's another option once you are here.

What kind of work do you do in your department? My father is a master electrician and I work as a helper for him just doing what ever needs (running home runs, running wires, wiring up outlets, switches or anything really) <~~ just thought it'd be cool to know that 🤷🏼*♂️🤷🏼*♂️

Old 06-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #14

I'm sure that work has nothing to do with what you do so Im sure I'd have to do some learning but that's the fun in it!!!

Old 06-01-2017, 11:33 PM   #15

I started in Local 25 as a telecom tech, 7 years. Then switched to their A construction electrical division. Did the 5 year apprenticeship, mostly worked in commercial new construction/renovations. Never cared for it much, Was a hard worker but average in skill/knowledge/speed, at best lol. Which translated to intermittent employment.

Got the job with the LIRR 5 years ago. We maintain, repair and sometimes rebuild the 100+ substations that provide power to the 3rd rail for train movement. Also supply power for the signal system. I love it and am a good, valued employee of something that's vital for Long Island/NYC. The island would literally collapse without it, despite what our idiot detractors spew online about it. Kick myself in the ass at least once a month for not applying here 5 years sooner!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #16

Quote:
I started in Local 25 as a telecom tech, 7 years. Then switched to their A construction electrical division. Did the 5 year apprenticeship, mostly worked in commercial new construction/renovations. Never cared for it much, Was a hard worker but average in skill/knowledge/speed, at best lol. Which translated to intermittent employment.

Got the job with the LIRR 5 years ago. We maintain, repair and sometimes rebuild the 100+ substations that provide power to the 3rd rail for train movement. Also supply power for the signal system. I love it and am a good, valued employee of something that's vital for Long Island/NYC. The island would literally collapse without it, despite what our idiot detractors spew online about it. Kick myself in the ass at least once a month for not applying here 5 years sooner!

That sounds really cool! Being apart of something that you know is helping the world stay working every day haha. How often do you go off the island? Or into the city? And how long are your shifts generally?

Old 06-02-2017, 12:11 AM   #17

Most of the jobs in my dept are 8-4, M-F. We have a few night guys from 4-12 and a few weekend positions. I have one of them and am off Sun/Mon, could be M-F if I wanted but I like the weekend gig. Work mostly in Nassau and Queens but occasionally get sent anywhere and everywhere.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Most of the jobs in my dept are 8-4, M-F. We have a few night guys from 4-12 and a few weekend positions. I have one of them and am off Sun/Mon, could be M-F if I wanted but I like the weekend gig. Work mostly in Nassau and Queens but occasionally get sent anywhere and everywhere.

What part of the island are you on?

Old 06-02-2017, 12:22 AM   #19

I'm out in center Moriches

Old 06-02-2017, 12:28 AM   #20

I live in coram and work in Mineola.