Apprenticeship help in Toronto - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By daveEM

Old 03-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Default Apprenticeship help in Toronto

Hey guys...first time poster here. Im a 25 year old student living in Toronto,ON currently enrolled in an electrical techniques program. I have my own car, G drivers license and my own tools. I get my certificate in May and i want to start my apprenticeship in the Summer. I have a few questions about going about it that hopefully someone living in the GTA can answer for me.

1. I live near a local 183 union, should i do my apprenticeship there or work for local electrical companies as an apprentice ? And after i complete my hours how do i log in hours doing either route ?

2. I have experience in residential and commercial installations, for my apprenticeship should i do a bit of both as well as industrial ? Or is there one area i should focus on more than the others.

3. My program was a 1 year electrical course, do i get any credit for the time spent in school and the experience earned, and should my pay increase based on that ? Im familiar with installing switches, outlets, lights two way three way, fire alarm etc as well as commerical conduit bending and motor wiring...i have more experience than someone who just came on the job and knows nothing

And any other tips would be greatly appreciated, i enjoy working in this field and hope to learn as much as i can to better myself and hopefully earn as much as i can. Thanks alot
TorontoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #2

**EDIT**

Sorry after i complete my program how do i obtain my hours
Old 03-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoD View Post
3. My program was a 1 year electrical course, do i get any credit for the time spent in school and the experience earned,
Your school should know that... and for the money you paid should find you work.

Anyway Union is best. There should be some kind of apprenticeship board where you live that will handle all the legal stuff like your hours, whether your school will be credited to your apprenticeship.

Some folks here from the east will help more I suspect.
MechanicalDVR likes this.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 286

Welcome aboard @TorontoD!

1. Always try to go Union first before open shop.

2. If you get a union apprenticeship you should get a well rounded amount of experience.

3. That would depend on who hires you. To me without time on the job you really don't have what it takes to work independently yet. Class room is only a start.

take any job you can get where they treat you like a human and not a possession but keep trying to get in the union.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:14 PM   #5

Thanks guys, yea union sounds good and i was incorrect its not local 183 its local 353 lawrence ave east...im going to just walk in and see whats going on over there ...ill take any work as it is, can i work for a company and transfer over to a union and vice versa ? And i kind of want steady work instead of possible layoffs and nothing consistant ( so ive heard i could be wrong )
Old 03-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoD View Post
Thanks guys, yea union sounds good and i was incorrect its not local 183 its local 353 lawrence ave east...im going to just walk in and see whats going on over there ...ill take any work as it is, can i work for a company and transfer over to a union and vice versa ? And i kind of want steady work instead of possible layoffs and nothing consistant ( so ive heard i could be wrong )
You can work for a company but you need to apply and test in to get in the Union.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,520

When you get a job the contractor can grant you the school hours if they want, but they don’t have to.

Even if they do, your pay will not increase until you’ve completed 1800 hours. (The course you took can get you 600 hours I do believe)

Read this thread. It’s about the same course your in.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f31/e...a-area-249137/

Last edited by eddy current; 03-25-2018 at 10:44 PM.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #8

Thanks for the help i appreciate it
Old 03-31-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363

I’d go Union. Locals tend to have better pay, insurance, retirement, support.

Your prior schooling may not transfer if you go Union. Ask the hall.

Whatever you choose, there is no guarantee of no layoffs. With a union however you’re less likely to have a period of layoff, because you’re basically working for a dozen contractors at once instead of just one. If that makes sense.
tjb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #10

Thanks tj...ill pm you if i have any other inquiries im trying to get into union but need some questions answered