Beginner electrical troubleshooting game, what do you think? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree20Likes

Old 02-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 68
Cool Beginner electrical troubleshooting game, what do you think?

Most have seen nothing like it, but as it is designed for beginners, I am curious what you all think about this free online electrical troubleshooting game? There is currently a little educational and skill increase value, when more faults are added it will better.
stiffneck likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Best for Less
bin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 472

It's sometimes hard to understand what you're asking, as there's a lot of information in that little right side box together.

the popups for the lock out tag out in the browser are pretty frustrating, I'd recommend putting some kid of bar with tips & requirements at the bottom instead, and that it doesn't allow you to continue without doing those requirements.

I'd also put the probes sideways instead of vertically, they make the game hard to use when you're trying to measure the fuse for example. I don't know if it's just my browser but when I try to put the probe on the bottom screws of the relay, my browser scrolls down into emptiness.

other than that, super cool!
bin95 likes this.
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martine For This Useful Post:
bin95 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,456

I died replacing a light bulb...

Cheers
John

Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 138

I wanted to die after 2 seconds.

Needs to be more user friendly

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
trentonmakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,982

Wow I'd like to know who your power company is. They nailed that 120.00V!

On a serious note, I stumbled a bit getting the DMM to work.
Can't read the blue text on black background.

Looks like lots of fun. Great work. I'm sure it's going to be a real nice for people learning when you get it refined.
bin95 likes this.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeFL For This Useful Post:
bin95 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 14

I really like the concept of a simulator like this.
bin95 likes this.
Bleddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post

Cheers
John
Dontcha just hate when that happens?
Navyguy and MikeFL like this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #8

Thumbs up Electrical simulator user interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martine View Post
It's sometimes hard to understand what you're asking, as there's a lot of information in that little right side box together.

the popups for the lock out tag out in the browser are pretty frustrating, I'd recommend putting some kid of bar with tips & requirements at the bottom instead, and that it doesn't allow you to continue without doing those requirements.

I'd also put the probes sideways instead of vertically, they make the game hard to use when you're trying to measure the fuse for example. I don't know if it's just my browser but when I try to put the probe on the bottom screws of the relay, my browser scrolls down into emptiness.

Wow, thanks for the excellent feedback Martine, just the kind i was looking for. Although knowing what browser you where using would be helpful too. I totally understand the instructions on the right are too compact. (we had to shorten so they would fit in box on right.) In V4.0 we'll put scroll and zoom features so the wording can be longer and more explanatory. (We rely a lot on user instructions popping up on hover to supplement lack of instructions on right. For those who do not click on the "Help" button and read the details on how to use.)

Great idea for the bottom info bar too, when you right click on a part to be replaced, if not locked out, its suppose to have "lockout Tagout 1st" in red text diagonally to let user know that. Not sure if it worked as intended on your browser.

As for the leads being horizontal instead of vertical, another great idea. (As a user option anyway.) You first idea of having alert/info section at bottom of screen will actually fix the browser trying to scrollbar when you drag leads to bottom with the extra screen space at bottom that will had the additional info you recommended. In chrome,IE and big screen TV we where able to allow screen to scroll, and just drag lead back up to relay, but I too experienced a little frustration hitting the target early on.

The LOTO procedures on left should have gave additional tips for each one when you hover cursor over it. Plus if you miss/skip it should put a red glow around what you should do first to help user know. That was how it was when i first check, but today i see those extra on hover info is not popping up like it used to, must have been a last minute change we'll have to put back.

We are going to make some help videos too, and that will help user understand the interface better. (may require a short little introduction video be watched before using, in case user skips help file.) Then we can additionally address issue learned in user feedback.

So again, thank you so much for the feedback, very useful. Have a great weekend.

Don

The Best for Less
Old 02-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #9

Default Electrical simulator user interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post

Cheers
John
Yep, go to lock out-tag out first.
Navyguy and stiffneck like this.

Don

The Best for Less
Old 02-21-2019, 08:18 PM   #10

Smile Electrical simulator user interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
Wow I'd like to know who your power company is. They nailed that 120.00V!

On a serious note, I stumbled a bit getting the DMM to work.
Can't read the blue text on black background.

Looks like lots of fun. Great work. I'm sure it's going to be a real nice for people learning when you get it refined.
Hey Mike, I would really appreciate if you could reply with screen shot and type of device and browser you used to view. (As only text color on black background should be neon green like old dos computers, used in the terminal on the right. Also neon green on meter 120v.) We used that color/layout as a novelty to look like old system terminals. Looks like in next version we should go with white background, black or blue text and quit playing around, ha ha. But since you mentioned it, it is now a serious consideration.

Thanks

Don

The Best for Less

Last edited by bin95; 02-21-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 4,002

Took me 4 hours to LOTO. Seems legit.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,982

Quote:
Originally Posted by bin95 View Post
Hey Mike, I would really appreciate if you could reply with screen shot and type of device and browser you used to view. (As only text color on black background should be neon green like old dos computers, used in the terminal on the right. Also neon green on meter 120v.) We used that color/layout as a novelty to look like old system terminals. Looks like in next version we should go with white background, black or blue text and quit playing around, ha ha. But since you mentioned it, it is now a serious consideration.

Thanks
PC

Desktop

Chrome

Isn't that blue text on black background?
Attached Thumbnails
Beginner electrical troubleshooting game, what do you think?-trainer-simulator.jpg  

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 624

To be honest, I wouldn't use this, especially considering more developed apps are available from Simutech and I've gotten bored of those because I have to open them on my computer and they're still pretty clunky. However, make this in a phone app and make the interface more streamlined, you could probably take off because Android and iPhone app store are where the vast majority are going to go look for something like this.

There are probably a few electrical puzzles games out right now, but nothing "professional" and 100% legit... I don't play games on my phone, but a legit troubleshooting "game" is something I'd definitely pay for. Maybe, free to download, in-app purchases for more advanced scenarios... not even because I need it, but because I'd really enjoy a troubleshooting puzzle when I want to burn time on my phone.

To make the app more accessible to the general market, you'd have to go the extra mile with the introduction scenarios, to show voltage drop and current continuity through the circuit, then carefully build up from there to relate these ideas to identifying faults. I think these are skills that a lot of people would be interested in developing, but there's just nothing that strikes the right balance between being accessible to beginners and legit, professional level challenges.
splatz likes this.

Last edited by Rora; 02-21-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Rora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #14

Its just the start, with great user feedback others here and elsewhere have given, it should get much more user friendly in the future.

Don

The Best for Less
Old 02-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #15

Thanks, the screen shot was very helpful. Yes it is blue on black. If you look at pictures of screen shot at https://koldwater.com/Online-Electri...ator-Help.html (or click help button in simulator), you will see system terminal is not displaying properly on your browser. So that is why you see blue text in black area instead of grey are where it belongs. Do you have browser window maximized, works best that way? (all though it should automatically adjust to any screen size. So that leads me to as.. Do you have javascript disabled in your browser? It needs javascipt to detect your screen size and adjust layout.

It should look like

Don

The Best for Less
Old 02-21-2019, 09:53 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by bin95 View Post
Wow, thanks for the excellent feedback Martine, just the kind i was looking for. Although knowing what browser you where using would be helpful too. I totally understand the instructions on the right are too compact. (we had to shorten so they would fit in box on right.) In V4.0 we'll put scroll and zoom features so the wording can be longer and more explanatory. (We rely a lot on user instructions popping up on hover to supplement lack of instructions on right. For those who do not click on the "Help" button and read the details on how to use.)

Great idea for the bottom info bar too, when you right click on a part to be replaced, if not locked out, its suppose to have "lockout Tagout 1st" in red text diagonally to let user know that. Not sure if it worked as intended on your browser.

As for the leads being horizontal instead of vertical, another great idea. (As a user option anyway.) You first idea of having alert/info section at bottom of screen will actually fix the browser trying to scrollbar when you drag leads to bottom with the extra screen space at bottom that will had the additional info you recommended. In chrome,IE and big screen TV we where able to allow screen to scroll, and just drag lead back up to relay, but I too experienced a little frustration hitting the target early on.

The LOTO procedures on left should have gave additional tips for each one when you hover cursor over it. Plus if you miss/skip it should put a red glow around what you should do first to help user know. That was how it was when i first check, but today i see those extra on hover info is not popping up like it used to, must have been a last minute change we'll have to put back.

We are going to make some help videos too, and that will help user understand the interface better. (may require a short little introduction video be watched before using, in case user skips help file.) Then we can additionally address issue learned in user feedback.

So again, thank you so much for the feedback, very useful. Have a great weekend.
I'm using chrome on a macbook!

and no problem, I think the little intro video would be a good idea. Also the LOTO repeatedly is quite bothersome, maybe clicking each step the first time and every other time after that just clicking on the actual LOTO icon instead.

Learning how to use my multimeter and understanding where I should have 120 (or whatever voltage) and where I shouldn't, and when it's normal to read 120 or 0 was the hardest thing for me to picture in school, so I think you're on to something with that!
bin95 likes this.
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:03 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martine View Post

I'd put the probes at a 45* angle.
Martine likes this.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #18

Thanks for the advice. Yes Simutech is seasoned software and awesome (we sold it since 1995), but they quit selling to individuals. We will consider iphone and droid apps, but we wanted to cost down for end user and make it more scaleable. being browser based you can use it on any smart phone, and only one software to update. With that approach we would have develop, maintain and improve 3 different versions. (6 times the life-cycle cost) When where talking about the full certificate course built on top the free simulator, that would be a lot of money.

But you approach you mentioned is a good one. At first browser based only to speed development time. Once free version is polished, implementing feed back like the great feedback i received here at ElectricianTalk, then make iphone app etc. like you mentioned. For free version only though.

Probably droid version first, as it is open development, more freedom. We did an iphone app before, expensive, annual fees by apple, but there restrictions where the biggest barrier we found. Because they don't know our industry, they didn't like links to our website for additional free valuable information because they didn't understand what great value that industrial info was to users. Besides being a Lean and Green company so we can provide the best for less to customers, we also avoid be 3rd party dependent.

For example when amazon accidentally turned off their cloud , a lot of company dependent on that 3rd party platform lost a lot. In the help file, you will learn our paid certificate course will have voltage drop, current, resistance even an oscope. This is just the beta free version. hopefully you are just seeing a start be born, wich later will be a planet. ha ha ... hopefully.
Rora likes this.

Don

The Best for Less
Old 02-21-2019, 10:44 PM   #19

Maybe a compromise, loto reduced to one click after user reaches skilltest mode. Safety is so important, we wanted to use repetition to insure those new to it, remember the steps.

We knew, as in real life, people would take having to LOTO, like medicine they hate. We thought only having to fill out the tag once would alleviate some that distaste for required procedures. But guess not. When you do get to the bonus mode, some of the LOTO steps are not required (pushing on/off buttons). I like you idea better, after 5 explorer steps (2 of which require loto), then make one click loto.

Don

The Best for Less
Old 02-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 3,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
PC

Desktop

Chrome

Isn't that blue text on black background?
That is what mine looked like too.
I tried both IE and Chrome.

Cheers
John
MikeFL likes this.

Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
app, free, game, troubleshooting