Boss wants me to get use to working live - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum


Like Tree22Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 12
Default Boss wants me to get use to working live

My boss wants me to get used to working live and I worry about making a mistake one time, even connecting potlights live or removing live wires by a junction box.

I was told that if I was really concerned I could short the circuit and trip the breaker by touching the hot against ground. This would create a small arc would it not ? If arc is not the correct term then I mean sparks.

Another question I have is should I stay with the company or should I go
JuniorSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Going_Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Hampshah
Posts: 6,039
Rewards Points: 1,476
Default

Find another company to work for. Your current boss is a douche.
Roger, MechanicalDVR, Cow and 4 others like this.
__________________
"I bet you smell like cigarettes and felonies." -HackWork
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
Conservitum Americum
 
LARMGUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 8,050
Rewards Points: 548
Default

What's that burning smell?
__________________
Cowboy words of wisdom.
There are three types of men, those that learn by readin, those that learn by watchin, and those that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

,
LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-26-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
Modérateur
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Posts: 8,634
Rewards Points: 16,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorSparky View Post
My boss wants me to get used to working live and I worry about making a mistake one time, even connecting potlights live or removing live wires by a junction box.

I was told that if I was really concerned I could short the circuit and trip the breaker by touching the hot against ground. This would create a small arc would it not ? If arc is not the correct term then I mean sparks.

Another question I have is should I stay with the company or should I go
I would dump that baka because it not really worth it anymore due many insurance company and safety dept is clamping down pretty hard for safety.

It dont take much on 120 volts to hurt like crazy. Just dont even go there on 347 volts circuits that will really nail ya hard.

Just go find other company they will treat ya better and work safer.

I just dont know why that company want to save few extra minuites to work hot.

Without proper PPE ( personal protection equiment ) that is pretty much gambling your life on that.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
__________________
Bleu est beau.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:09 PM   #5
Senile Member
 
macmikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 26,764
Rewards Points: 15,875
Default

Your boss sounds like a cool dude. I wanna invite him over for a Barbecue.













Nyuck, nyuck.............
__________________
Thought for the Day: President Trump is the first sitting U.S. president to EVER step foot in North Korea... Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize for being black.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:24 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor
 
Buck Parrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Indiana & NC
Posts: 235
Rewards Points: 258
Default

On what volt ? Amps ?
Buck Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:38 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 60
Rewards Points: 12
Default

120/240
JuniorSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:57 PM   #8
Band Member
 
emtnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 5,720
Rewards Points: 818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Parrish View Post
On what volt ? Amps ?
Excellent question Buck

I've always wondered, is it the Amps or the Volts
Navyguy likes this.
__________________
_____________________________________
Your Mother was a hamster, and your father smells of Elderberries. ... Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:02 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Welland, Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,062
Rewards Points: 3,840
Default

I am an owner of a company and I would never request or demand that any of my guys work live. Do they do live work, well technically they do because every time they jam a breaker in a panel or troubleshoot a circuit they often “work live”; but sometimes it is necessary to test a circuit for proper functioning of control devices, or similar activities.

The real question is what are the circumstances that you are working live? In residential, except for testing a circuit, I cannot fathom a reason to have anything live. In commercial again, I cannot see a requirement except you may have to install a cable or branch circuit conductors in a live panel / conduit so you don’t shut down the store, etc. Industrial is a bit different, where when you are installing and removing MCC buckets, changing control devices, etc you may be working live, but there generally is a host of “protocols” and equipment requirements to be met before that can happen.

Do I work live, yes I do on occasion. While I admit it may not be a good example to set for my crew, it is a choice that I make based on a number of risk factors (and almost 30 years in the field) and none of them are related to saving time or money. Generally it is related to diagnosing a situation with a faulty control device, but I have also been known to change a breaker, switch or receptacle too.

Do not let your boss push you into something that is not required and could be dangerous; there is basically no reason for it.

Based on your questions, I suspect you are pretty new in the trade; there are tons of avenues for you to explore but if you end up killing yourself because you are being pushed into something that is not required (and it goes wrong), you will never get a chance to see all the fine things the trade can offer.

Cheers
John
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Navyguy; 02-27-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Navyguy For This Useful Post:
emtnut (02-27-2018), MechanicalDVR (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 12:15 AM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,916
Rewards Points: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
I am an owner of a company and I would never request or demand that any of my guys work live. Do they do live work, well technically they do because every time they jam a breaker in a panel or troubleshoot a circuit they often “work live”; but sometimes it is necessary to test a circuit for proper functioning of control devices, or similar activities.

The real question is what are the circumstances that you are working live? In residential, except for testing a circuit, I cannot fathom a reason to have anything live. In commercial again, I cannot see a requirement except you may have to install a cable or branch circuit conductors in a live panel / conduit so you don’t shut down the store, etc. Industrial is a bit different, where when you are installing and removing MCC buckets, changing control devices, etc you may be working live, but there generally is a host of “protocols” and equipment requirements to be met before that can happen.

Do I work live, yes I do on occasion. While I admit it may not be a good example to set for my crew, it is a choice that I make based on a number of risk factors (and almost 30 years in the field) and none of them are related to saving time or money. Generally it is related to diagnosing a situation with a faulty control device, but I have also been known to change a breaker, switch or receptacle too.

Do not let your boss push you into something that is not required and could be dangerous; there is basically no reason for it.

Based on your questions, I suspect you are pretty new in the trade; there are tons of avenues for you to explore but if you end up killing yourself because you are being pushed into something that is not required (and it goes wrong), you will never get a chance to see all the fine things the trade can offer.

Cheers
John

This guys employer needs to be turned in for his lack of safety practices.
cad99 and emtnut like this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:22 AM   #11
Band Member
 
emtnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 5,720
Rewards Points: 818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorSparky View Post
My boss wants me to get used to working live and I worry about making a mistake one time, even connecting potlights live or removing live wires by a junction box.

I was told that if I was really concerned I could short the circuit and trip the breaker by touching the hot against ground. This would create a small arc would it not ? If arc is not the correct term then I mean sparks.

Another question I have is should I stay with the company or should I go
We have a thread open right now, and some of us have admitted to working live. Keep in mind, a lot of the guys here are 20 25 30 35 even 40 year veterans. We know what we're doing.

If for ANY reason you have to work live, it should be you WATCHING your Jman and learning.

As others said ... time to start looking for a new job.
__________________
_____________________________________
Your Mother was a hamster, and your father smells of Elderberries. ... Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:52 AM   #12
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 20,551
Rewards Points: 11,459
Default

Are you registered as an apprentice? If not, get registerd first and then dump his sorry ass. This sounds like the kind of clown who will screw you out of hours and forget to send you to school.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:00 AM   #13
Wire Ninja
 
MDShunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Beautiful Cumberland Valley, in PA
Posts: 20,984
Rewards Points: 1,421
Default

No matter how much time on the tools I have, the electrons don't know that. They're waiting in hiding to bite me anyhow. While I have worked live, and continue to from time to time, it's not a point of pride. I see the OP having many options:
  • Work live, as his boss suggests.
  • Don't work live, and ignore the boss.
  • Talk with the boss like a reasonable person would and tell him how uncomfortable you are with working live seeing that it's dangerous and technically against the law under most circumstances. See if you can have a meeting of the minds.
  • Turn the boss into OSHA or similar health and safety agency.
  • Quit his job and get into another line of work.
  • Quit his job and get a job in the same line of work where hot work is prohibited.

While all of the above options are completely viable, they each come with their own peculiar repercussions. Some would be considered being a man, some would be considered being a chicken, and some would be considered being a d!ck.
__________________
One reason not to give DIY advice:
Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him.
Teach a man to fish and you’ve ruined a good business opportunity.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #14
Cow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 2,848
Rewards Points: 4,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
Find another company to work for. Your current boss is a douche.
I agree.

It makes me wonder, If he's asking a new apprentice to work hot or short circuits out on purpose, how many other little things is he doing wrong too?
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #15
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 20,551
Rewards Points: 11,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I agree.

It makes me wonder, If he's asking a new apprentice to work hot or short circuits out on purpose, how many other little things is he doing wrong too?
The OP is a smart dude and his boss is trying to bring him down to his level of stupid. There's no future here.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #16
Can't sign em..forget em
 
lighterup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,361
Rewards Points: 10,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
The OP is a smart dude and his boss is trying to bring him down to his level of stupid. There's no future here.
I see an EKG order in his future
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
canbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Just North of Calgary
Posts: 767
Rewards Points: 1,510
Default

Better safe then toasted.

Tim
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
just the cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pa
Posts: 1,591
Rewards Points: 372
Default No No NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorSparky View Post

I was told that if I was really concerned I could short the circuit and trip the breaker by touching the hot against ground. This would create a small arc would it not ?
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

It can and may do the following.
1. Start a fire, dryer lint goes up real fast.
2. Destroy the breaker so it don't reset.
3. Destroy the breaker so it don't trip next time when needed.
4. Leave black marks on the walls, and brown one in underwear.
5. Damage wire or open bad splices.
6. and much more.


When I was an apprentice my Jman told me the same thing to find the breaker, I melted a piece of #10 wire like a welding rod shoving it in the recepticial. Breaker never tripped.

Stay alive move on.
__________________
A cowboy may get thrown down, but he always gets up and walks forward and don't look back at what thru him.
just the cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,129
Rewards Points: 7,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by just the cowboy View Post
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

It can and may do the following.
1. Start a fire, dryer lint goes up real fast.
2. Destroy the breaker so it don't reset.
3. Destroy the breaker so it don't trip next time when needed.
4. Leave black marks on the walls, and brown one in underwear.
5. Damage wire or open bad splices.
6. and much more.


When I was an apprentice my Jman told me the same thing to find the breaker, I melted a piece of #10 wire like a welding rod shoving it in the recepticial. Breaker never tripped.

Stay alive move on.
I do it as a last test, after I have ensured the power is off with a pen tester and a multi meter. Before putting myself in a bad spot where I could get hurt.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #20
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,916
Rewards Points: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
I do it as a last test, after I have ensured the power is off with a pen tester and a multi meter. Before putting myself in a bad spot where I could get hurt.
I do that as well, just to be 100%.
eddy current likes this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F This I Quit LawnGuyLandSparky General Electrical Discussion 128 05-16-2016 08:55 PM
How easy is it to go back working non Union Heavyduty5 Union Topics 17 03-06-2016 09:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com