Boss wants me to get use to working live - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree22Likes

Old 02-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
Default Boss wants me to get use to working live

My boss wants me to get used to working live and I worry about making a mistake one time, even connecting potlights live or removing live wires by a junction box.

I was told that if I was really concerned I could short the circuit and trip the breaker by touching the hot against ground. This would create a small arc would it not ? If arc is not the correct term then I mean sparks.

Another question I have is should I stay with the company or should I go
JuniorSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,476

Find another company to work for. Your current boss is a douche.
Roger, MechanicalDVR, Cow and 4 others like this.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 548

What's that burning smell?

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorSparky View Post
My boss wants me to get used to working live and I worry about making a mistake one time, even connecting potlights live or removing live wires by a junction box.

I was told that if I was really concerned I could short the circuit and trip the breaker by touching the hot against ground. This would create a small arc would it not ? If arc is not the correct term then I mean sparks.

I would dump that baka because it not really worth it anymore due many insurance company and safety dept is clamping down pretty hard for safety.

It dont take much on 120 volts to hurt like crazy. Just dont even go there on 347 volts circuits that will really nail ya hard.

Just go find other company they will treat ya better and work safer.

I just dont know why that company want to save few extra minuites to work hot.

Without proper PPE ( personal protection equiment ) that is pretty much gambling your life on that.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:09 PM   #5
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,875

Your boss sounds like a cool dude. I wanna invite him over for a Barbecue.

Nyuck, nyuck.............
Old 02-26-2018, 11:24 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 258

On what volt ? Amps ?
Buck Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 12

120/240
JuniorSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:57 PM   #8
Band Member

Rewards Points: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Parrish View Post
On what volt ? Amps ?
Excellent question Buck

I've always wondered, is it the Amps or the Volts
Navyguy likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:02 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,840

I am an owner of a company and I would never request or demand that any of my guys work live. Do they do live work, well technically they do because every time they jam a breaker in a panel or troubleshoot a circuit they often “work live”; but sometimes it is necessary to test a circuit for proper functioning of control devices, or similar activities.

The real question is what are the circumstances that you are working live? In residential, except for testing a circuit, I cannot fathom a reason to have anything live. In commercial again, I cannot see a requirement except you may have to install a cable or branch circuit conductors in a live panel / conduit so you don’t shut down the store, etc. Industrial is a bit different, where when you are installing and removing MCC buckets, changing control devices, etc you may be working live, but there generally is a host of “protocols” and equipment requirements to be met before that can happen.

Do I work live, yes I do on occasion. While I admit it may not be a good example to set for my crew, it is a choice that I make based on a number of risk factors (and almost 30 years in the field) and none of them are related to saving time or money. Generally it is related to diagnosing a situation with a faulty control device, but I have also been known to change a breaker, switch or receptacle too.

Do not let your boss push you into something that is not required and could be dangerous; there is basically no reason for it.

Based on your questions, I suspect you are pretty new in the trade; there are tons of avenues for you to explore but if you end up killing yourself because you are being pushed into something that is not required (and it goes wrong), you will never get a chance to see all the fine things the trade can offer.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Navyguy; 02-27-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Navyguy For This Useful Post:
emtnut (02-27-2018), MechanicalDVR (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 12:15 AM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
I am an owner of a company and I would never request or demand that any of my guys work live. Do they do live work, well technically they do because every time they jam a breaker in a panel or troubleshoot a circuit they often “work live”; but sometimes it is necessary to test a circuit for proper functioning of control devices, or similar activities.

The real question is what are the circumstances that you are working live? In residential, except for testing a circuit, I cannot fathom a reason to have anything live. In commercial again, I cannot see a requirement except you may have to install a cable or branch circuit conductors in a live panel / conduit so you don’t shut down the store, etc. Industrial is a bit different, where when you are installing and removing MCC buckets, changing control devices, etc you may be working live, but there generally is a host of “protocols” and equipment requirements to be met before that can happen.

Do I work live, yes I do on occasion. While I admit it may not be a good example to set for my crew, it is a choice that I make based on a number of risk factors (and almost 30 years in the field) and none of them are related to saving time or money. Generally it is related to diagnosing a situation with a faulty control device, but I have also been known to change a breaker, switch or receptacle too.

Do not let your boss push you into something that is not required and could be dangerous; there is basically no reason for it.

Based on your questions, I suspect you are pretty new in the trade; there are tons of avenues for you to explore but if you end up killing yourself because you are being pushed into something that is not required (and it goes wrong), you will never get a chance to see all the fine things the trade can offer.

Cheers
John

This guys employer needs to be turned in for his lack of safety practices.
cad99 and emtnut like this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:22 AM   #11
Band Member

Rewards Points: 818

Quote:

We have a thread open right now, and some of us have admitted to working live. Keep in mind, a lot of the guys here are 20 25 30 35 even 40 year veterans. We know what we're doing.

If for ANY reason you have to work live, it should be you WATCHING your Jman and learning.

As others said ... time to start looking for a new job.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:52 AM   #12
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,459

Are you registered as an apprentice? If not, get registerd first and then dump his sorry ass. This sounds like the kind of clown who will screw you out of hours and forget to send you to school.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:00 AM   #13
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

No matter how much time on the tools I have, the electrons don't know that. They're waiting in hiding to bite me anyhow. While I have worked live, and continue to from time to time, it's not a point of pride. I see the OP having many options:
  • Work live, as his boss suggests.
  • Don't work live, and ignore the boss.
  • Talk with the boss like a reasonable person would and tell him how uncomfortable you are with working live seeing that it's dangerous and technically against the law under most circumstances. See if you can have a meeting of the minds.
  • Turn the boss into OSHA or similar health and safety agency.
  • Quit his job and get into another line of work.
  • Quit his job and get a job in the same line of work where hot work is prohibited.

While all of the above options are completely viable, they each come with their own peculiar repercussions. Some would be considered being a man, some would be considered being a chicken, and some would be considered being a d!ck.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #14
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
Find another company to work for. Your current boss is a douche.
I agree.

It makes me wonder, If he's asking a new apprentice to work hot or short circuits out on purpose, how many other little things is he doing wrong too?
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #15
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I agree.

It makes me wonder, If he's asking a new apprentice to work hot or short circuits out on purpose, how many other little things is he doing wrong too?
The OP is a smart dude and his boss is trying to bring him down to his level of stupid. There's no future here.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #16
Can't sign em..forget em

Rewards Points: 10,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
The OP is a smart dude and his boss is trying to bring him down to his level of stupid. There's no future here.
I see an EKG order in his future
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,510

Better safe then toasted.

Tim
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 372
Default No No NO

Quote:

I was told that if I was really concerned I could short the circuit and trip the breaker by touching the hot against ground. This would create a small arc would it not ?
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

It can and may do the following.
1. Start a fire, dryer lint goes up real fast.
2. Destroy the breaker so it don't reset.
3. Destroy the breaker so it don't trip next time when needed.
4. Leave black marks on the walls, and brown one in underwear.
5. Damage wire or open bad splices.
6. and much more.

When I was an apprentice my Jman told me the same thing to find the breaker, I melted a piece of #10 wire like a welding rod shoving it in the recepticial. Breaker never tripped.

Stay alive move on.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 7,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by just the cowboy View Post
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

It can and may do the following.
1. Start a fire, dryer lint goes up real fast.
2. Destroy the breaker so it don't reset.
3. Destroy the breaker so it don't trip next time when needed.
4. Leave black marks on the walls, and brown one in underwear.
5. Damage wire or open bad splices.
6. and much more.

When I was an apprentice my Jman told me the same thing to find the breaker, I melted a piece of #10 wire like a welding rod shoving it in the recepticial. Breaker never tripped.

Stay alive move on.
I do it as a last test, after I have ensured the power is off with a pen tester and a multi meter. Before putting myself in a bad spot where I could get hurt.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #20
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
I do it as a last test, after I have ensured the power is off with a pen tester and a multi meter. Before putting myself in a bad spot where I could get hurt.
I do that as well, just to be 100%.
eddy current likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote