A decade in the Army. Time for a new career! - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By Switched
  • 2 Post By LARMGUY
  • 2 Post By Semi-Ret Electrician
  • 2 Post By lightman
  • 1 Post By Eric Dennis
  • 1 Post By Eric Dennis
  • 1 Post By lightman

Old 02-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Default A decade in the Army. Time for a new career!

Hi everyone I have a few questions about becoming an Electrician.
I am about to end my last contract with the Army after 9 and a half years as a Combat Medic. I am currently in an accelerated NCCER Electrical lvl 4 program for Active Duty Soldiers. I want to know how I might compare to other prospective careerists in your field. I have experience as a leader, I know to be on time (15 minutes prior), I know how to work hard and learn everything I can because I have been taught to strive to be the best in my field. I am going to be honest and say I am scared to get out because I have a wife and two kids and it will be the first time I have looked for a job in about 10 years. If you have any tips or suggestions for me I would really appreciate it! I am moving to Florida by the way.
Eric Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #2
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,480

Welcome to ET Eric

We have a few members from your area, they should be able to help you out.

From what I hear, military training is 1st rate ... you should do well !
Eric Dennis likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
Eric Dennis (02-14-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,952

Welcome aboard Eric! Enjoy your ride here.

Have you checked out the Helmets to Hardhats Program?
Eric Dennis likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8,986

You are exactly what the trades need.. "I know it will be hard work"....

All of us business owners should really be looking into the "Helmets to Hardhats" program. Does anyone use it?

What about your personal experience, have you tried the program?
Eric Dennis likes this.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,234

Helmets to Hardhats Program
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:07 AM   #6
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360max View Post
Echo

Echo

Echo

Echo

Echo

Echo

Howdy from Oklahoma! Good luck to ya!

MechanicalDVR and Eric Dennis like this.

Last edited by LARMGUY; 02-10-2017 at 12:13 AM.
LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 486

Welcome Eric. I know how you're feeling, I got out after 8 years myself.

Your experience as a Combat Medic will give you a tremendous advantage in any company.

And, with your "can do" attitude you will do just fine.

Industry is well aware of what a Vet brings to the table!

Good Luck
wendon and Eric Dennis like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:36 AM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360max View Post
Wow you can agree with me on something! Amazing!

Old 02-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 352

Welcome Aboard, and Thanks for your Service! Your work ethics will serve you well in any field that you choose. Have you considered staying in the medical field? Don't get me wrong, the electrical industry has been good to me. But, our wages usually won't compare to the medical field.
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #10

Well thank you everyone. I have checked out the Helmets to Hardhats program and found at least one job posting in my area but the VA has a website that shows you which companies work with them and authorize using the GI Bill for a housing allowance to offset losing so much in income while an apprentice. With that said I am sure single guys use helmets to hardhats as it seems like a great way to get recruited but for married guys like me I cant live on 13 an hour..

Im being trained to work as an Industrial Electrician. Would you all recommend I try to get into the Industrial side or move on to commercial or residential?
I want an environment that I can learn the most from.
splatz likes this.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightman View Post
Welcome Aboard, and Thanks for your Service! Your work ethics will serve you well in any field that you choose. Have you considered staying in the medical field? Don't get me wrong, the electrical industry has been good to me. But, our wages usually won't compare to the medical field.
Two deployments as a Medic burnt me out. Just not worth seeing that crap anymore
Old 02-14-2017, 11:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
You are exactly what the trades need.. "I know it will be hard work"....

All of us business owners should really be looking into the "Helmets to Hardhats" program. Does anyone use it?

What about your personal experience, have you tried the program?
https://www.helmetstohardhats.org/employers

Seems like a great opportunity as an Employer! The website says their database has over 100,000 Vets.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:48 AM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dennis View Post
Well thank you everyone. I have checked out the Helmets to Hardhats program and found at least one job posting in my area but the VA has a website that shows you which companies work with them and authorize using the GI Bill for a housing allowance to offset losing so much in income while an apprentice. With that said I am sure single guys use helmets to hardhats as it seems like a great way to get recruited but for married guys like me I cant live on 13 an hour..

Im being trained to work as an Industrial Electrician. Would you all recommend I try to get into the Industrial side or move on to commercial or residential?
I want an environment that I can learn the most from.
Residential isn't going to be top of the food chain in the pay check.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 352

There could be a lot of opportunities in industrial. Dad retired as an industrial electrician at a large paper mill. The pay was good, the benefits started out good but gradually got reduced but the work was tough. Working on loud greasy machinery, on concrete all day, the same scenery every day. Woulda drove me nuts!
MechanicalDVR likes this.
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:27 AM   #15
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dennis View Post
I hope others chime in but the way I see it, residential is the simplest to learn, the lowest pay, but the easiest to get into if you want to become a contractor. A lot of people lose their shirt in residential contracting but a lot of people navigate the swamp successfully and make a lot of money. You don't have to be a real whiz kid as an electrician in residential but you do have to be a good businessman.

Commercial is better pay, between residential and industrial for how much to learn, if you want to be a construction electrician in the union, commercial seems like the way to go most places. If you know commercial you can do a lot of what's involved in industrial or residential. But getting into commercial contracting is a bit of a hurdle.

Industrial is the most to learn, fewer construction jobs, more maintenance jobs. IMO, it's not as hard to get industrial work as a small contractor as you'd think, there is a lot of service work out there with smaller companies that don't have their own in house maintenance, and fewer people are out there that able to do the work.

Of course every area is different. If there's good government work or etc. in the area you want to settle in, the type of work you want to look for might be the determining factor between commercial and industrial.

Someone else here said they noticed early on the higher the voltage the higher the pay, that's short and sweet and pretty much accurate.