Electrician or Electrical Engineering Technologist? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By emtnut

Old 01-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default Electrician or Electrical Engineering Technologist?

Hi everyone,

So I recently have been having thoughts on which career I would ultimately like to take, an electrician or an electrical engineering technologist. I wanted to know from the electrician community which option might be better. I understand that the replies might be biased but I would still love to hear them.

I am almost done my electrical engineering technologist program in Ontario (finish this december) but I could also finish the electrician program in one semester after that. Now the tricky part is deciding on which career path would be best. There are some things I am already well aware of. First of all I know that as a technologist you make more money initially since as an apprentice you are only making like $15-$20/hr at most for 4-5 yrs. In that time period, as a technologist I would start off making $25/hr right out of college and maybe max out at $50-$60/hr in 15 yrs time. However I have heard that there is potential to make more as an electrician in the long run.

My issue is that I am 22 yrs old currently and would be finished my schooling at 23 with a job, but I want to know whether it's worth getting my electrician certificate and then doing an apprenticeship for 4-5 yrs and becoming licensed at 27/28 yrs old. Also how much longer would it take to become a master electrician? Is a master electrician worth pursuing after?

So what does everyone suggest? Sorry for the really long post and I know I asked a lot of questions but I appreciate everyone's advice in advance. Thank you.
electricalET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,057

Depends if you like wearing a tie, or a tool belt. Whether you like florescent lighting, or sunshine more. If you like sitting in an 8' by 8' cube for 8 hours a day, or flipping off idiots on the freeway. If you like getting dirty, or can't stand a stain on your nice slacks. If you like wearing boots, or an "outfit". If you like "matching" apparel, or can wear an orange 'T" shirt, with blue jeans. If you like hanging out with burly men, or "girly men". (JUST KIDDING all you male office workers)
The choice is yours, make it count.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricalET View Post
Hi everyone,

So I recently have been having thoughts on which career I would ultimately like to take, an electrician or an electrical engineering technologist. I wanted to know from the electrician community which option might be better. I understand that the replies might be biased but I would still love to hear them.

I am almost done my electrical engineering technologist program in Ontario (finish this december) but I could also finish the electrician program in one semester after that. Now the tricky part is deciding on which career path would be best. There are some things I am already well aware of. First of all I know that as a technologist you make more money initially since as an apprentice you are only making like $15-$20/hr at most for 4-5 yrs. In that time period, as a technologist I would start off making $25/hr right out of college and maybe max out at $50-$60/hr in 15 yrs time. However I have heard that there is potential to make more as an electrician in the long run.

My issue is that I am 22 yrs old currently and would be finished my schooling at 23 with a job, but I want to know whether it's worth getting my electrician certificate and then doing an apprenticeship for 4-5 yrs and becoming licensed at 27/28 yrs old. Also how much longer would it take to become a master electrician? Is a master electrician worth pursuing after?

So what does everyone suggest? Sorry for the really long post and I know I asked a lot of questions but I appreciate everyone's advice in advance. Thank you.
You would be very well set if you had both !
High end employers like GM Honda Molson, always hire the electrician/tech guys first. You could easily move up in a company like that and make up to $65 an hour. With your M&C license, you can work anywhere.

You're young, I'd get the license

As for your Masters, that's just another test, and it's really only needed if you want to run your own company, or be the Master on site for who you work for.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks for the replies guys. Emtnut I specifically have some questions for you based on your reply. If I get my license it would mean I have to spend a few years as an apprentice, which means that I haven't touched the electrical engineering technologists side of things at all. Would my diploma mean anything after that much time has passed?

Would having both the licence and the diploma give me an advantage over another person applying for the job at a company like GM, Toyota etc? Also sorry for my ignorance but what's a M & C license?

Thanks.
electricalET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 PM   #5
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricalET View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Emtnut I specifically have some questions for you based on your reply. If I get my license it would mean I have to spend a few years as an apprentice, which means that I haven't touched the electrical engineering technologists side of things at all. Would my diploma mean anything after that much time has passed?

Would having both the licence and the diploma give me an advantage over another person applying for the job at a company like GM, Toyota etc? Also sorry for my ignorance but what's a M & C license?

Thanks.
M&C is Maintenance and Construction license ... 309A.

Having both 309A and the EE will open 'every' door for you... no matter whether you choose field or office.

Companies like GM toyota etc ... know that you will pick up PLCs faster, so they would take you over just a 309 in a heartbeat.
splatz and MikeFL like this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
m&c is maintenance and construction license ... 309a.

Having both 309a and the ee will open 'every' door for you... No matter whether you choose field or office.

Companies like gm toyota etc ... Know that you will pick up plcs faster, so they would take you over just a 309 in a heartbeat.

+1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,416

I don't know how these things work in Canada, but in general it's real good to keep extra options open and it doesn't sound like one extra semester is that much additional investment.

If like @joebanana says you prefer getting your hands dirty or keeping them clean, one thing nobody can predict right now is how you'll feel about that in 10-15-20 years. It's good to keep your options open so you can change your job if you change your mind.