Failed my PSI Jman test by 6 first try - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree30Likes

Old 12-01-2019, 11:54 AM  

Rewards Points: 142
Default Failed my PSI Jman test by 6 first try

So, I Failed my Jman test. I ran out of time and had to start guessing, and my nerves had me so bad I could not think strait...Sucked so bad, I don't want to go back hahahahah. Any advice is appreciated
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 12:08 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrydee View Post
So, I Failed my Jman test. I ran out of time and had to start guessing, and my nerves had me so bad I could not think strait...Sucked so bad, I don't want to go back hahahahah. Any advice is appreciated

I had 3 years of night school before i took my exam. Took tons of practice exams in that time. I reread all of those and highlighted the answers in my code book. EVERY single question on the code portion of the exam had the answer already highlighted in my book. Got a 98% on that portion of the exam.
jarrydee likes this.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:10 PM  
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,491

When I write an exam, I go through and answer the easy questions first. Then I go back and work on the more difficult ones. Sometimes there are answers in other questions and sometimes answers just come into your head as your working. Calculations I leave to the end. In a multiple choice exam, ten minutes spent on calculations is hardly worth it if you run out of time and miss easy ones.

It sounds like anxiety is getting to you. You probably have the knowledge but your nerves are getting in the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 12:14 PM  

Rewards Points: 3,318

A shot of Wild Turkey chased by a shot of Fireball on the next test.
Seau1355 and jarrydee like this.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:24 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
A shot of Wild Turkey chased by a shot of Fireball on the next test.
He wanted to know how to pass the exam, not how survive 2 days of continuing ed
DashDingo and jarrydee like this.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:33 PM  
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
I haven’t been drunk in class since high school .
Old 12-01-2019, 12:33 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
When I write an exam, I go through and answer the easy questions first. Then I go back and work on the more difficult ones. Sometimes there are answers in other questions and sometimes answers just come into your head as your working. Calculations I leave to the end. In a multiple choice exam, ten minutes spent on calculations is hardly worth it if you run out of time and miss easy ones.

It sounds like anxiety is getting to you. You probably have the knowledge but your nerves are getting in the way.
You are dead on. I don't know what happened to me. I was shaking so bad I was having rouble turning pages. Fuc*ing weird I know....I just don't know how to keep that from happening again. I have one more try at it, and then have to wait a calendar year to retest. I took tons of practice exams, was averaging 80% on them, then the real test comes and 99% of the questions I never seen. I never studied motor control diagrams. I had 3 questions on that. They had a diagram, and asked "If button A was pushed it would do this" If button B was pushed it would do this" Now I know what a start and stop button looks like, I didn't yesterday. The diagrams did not say start or stop, you had to know the symbols.
sparkiez likes this.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:36 PM  

Quote:

I also had a plan of going through the test and getting the ones I know out of the way.... well that plan fell apart and I went back to how I did my practice tests. I did the calculations as they came, I am halfway decent at them, but I know I should have saved them. I must have guessed pretty good. I had 4 min. left.. 19 questions marked, and a bunch not answered.. So I guessed on them, and only failed by 6. Plus I am sure I got some of the state rules wrong, I only brought part 8 of the MI. code, there were 4 others I could have brought.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:38 PM  

I tried to remember some of the ones I didn't know so I could look them up later. I was so nervous that I could not find LOW VOLTAGE in the index.... as soon as I got out to my car... there it was... ugh
Old 12-01-2019, 02:14 PM  
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 176

No one cares if you took multiple times to pass as long as you pass. Get right back on the horse...
jarrydee likes this.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:03 PM  
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
No one cares if you took multiple times to pass as long as you pass. Get right back on the horse...
He has one more try and then he has to wait a year to write again.
Bird dog likes this.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:30 PM  

Rewards Points: 7,333

Quote:
He has one more try and then he has to wait a year to write again.
You guys talk funny, down here we "sit" for an exam. In high school we "took" exams.
dronai and 99cents like this.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:56 PM  
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 176

Ok, take a test prep class and get back on the horse. Sounds like you’re close.
jarrydee likes this.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:35 AM  

Rewards Points: 36

It's interesting that you can bring your own books, with the Certificate of Qualification (Journeyman test) you walk in and are given a pencil, calculator and a new Canadian code book. When you walk out, you walk out in a daze according to most of the journeymen I've talked to.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:38 AM  
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmorok View Post
It's interesting that you can bring your own books, with the Certificate of Qualification (Journeyman test) you walk in and are given a pencil, calculator and a new Canadian code book. When you walk out, you walk out in a daze according to most of the journeymen I've talked to.
The advantage of a real code book made out of paper is that you can write your own notes in it. As far as I’m concerned, you should be able to bring your own code book into the exam. If it contains notes you have written to yourself, that’s not cheating, it’s the code book you use in the real world.
splatz and sparkiez like this.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:08 AM  
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 309

Quote:
The advantage of a real code book made out of paper is that you can write your own notes in it. As far as I’m concerned, you should be able to bring your own code book into the exam. If it contains notes you have written to yourself, that’s not cheating, it’s the code book you use in the real world.
Unfortunately logic doesn’t work.

Another example of the real world is that no one is timing you when you’re doing a calculation or looking up any code. However, during the test, you are timed and have to rush through some of the more complicated questions that require multiple steps and calculations.

But I guess this is all a good thing, since the test is a barrier for entry. If they made it easier than everyone would be licensed.
jarrydee likes this.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:11 AM  

Rewards Points: 3,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
Quote:
I haven’t been drunk in class since high school .
It's not my fault two shots gets you drunk. Also not my fault if someone that's not me takes advantage of you in such a moment of weakness.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:15 AM  
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 282

Quote:
Nobody really bothers with this but you can mark up a PDF too - you can highlight it, add marginal notes, and add popup notes that are bigger than what you can fit in the margins. You can also put things like a picture from your phone, a link to a web site, or cut and paste text in there. I don't do this kind of markup on my phone, but it's not too hard to sync the PC version to the phone.

I haven't messed with marking up an epub type, that would be even better since it displays easier to read on my phone.

I'll always have the paper version around if I can, if I have to do more than a quick lookup I prefer paper.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:50 AM  
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Nobody really bothers with this but you can mark up a PDF too - you can highlight it, add marginal notes, and add popup notes that are bigger than what you can fit in the margins. You can also put things like a picture from your phone, a link to a web site, or cut and paste text in there. I don't do this kind of markup on my phone, but it's not too hard to sync the PC version to the phone.

I haven't messed with marking up an epub type, that would be even better since it displays easier to read on my phone.

I'll always have the paper version around if I can, if I have to do more than a quick lookup I prefer paper.
I don’t know how to mark up the electronic version and have no inclination to learn .

I don’t have a paper version now but sometimes wish I did. I used to leave it in a conspicuous place on inspection day to make it look like I actually use it...
splatz likes this.

Last edited by 99cents; 12-02-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:08 AM  
zac

Rewards Points: 822

I always found it confusing that conspicuous was to openly display while conceal was to hide. Conspicuous is suspicious indeed!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk