NAVFAC apprenticeship - Page 2 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum


Like Tree21Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #21
Coffee drinking member
 
Wirenuting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 11,756
Rewards Points: 5,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3848 View Post
@Wirenuting , does NAVFAC do a lot of facility maintenance? Or do their tradesmen also participate in new construction projects (like the regular IBEW guys) ?
It depends on the size of the facility your at.
Some facilities are small enough that 90% of the work gets contracted out.
Some facilities have only a contract site manager who oversees the work contracts.

Ours is big and we do all the maintenance, repairs, all service calls, most construction projects.. We no longer build buildings as our work force is to small.. We stopped doing that stuff in the late 80's.
__________________
Teacher, my brain is full... Can I go home now?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wirenuting is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #22
Coffee drinking member
 
Wirenuting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 11,756
Rewards Points: 5,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
From the facilities I have worked on with them they only handle work/projects up to a $10k value, after that it's hired out.
$10k?
That must be smaller sites. Our basic service call threshold is about $8k. Then we bump the job into the next catagory of work order. That has a higher threshold before it hits a "project" level.. The last big job I was on 3 years ago was a 1.5m+ remodel of a building. (Nothing gold plated fancy).
Our biggest deciding factor for contracting out smaller stuff is,, can we meet the customers "required" completion date..
Or, if it's an emergency and we can't do it for lack of skills or material, we will contract it out the same day if needed. We do very little of that kind of contracting out..
__________________
Teacher, my brain is full... Can I go home now?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wirenuting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:18 PM   #23
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 57,625
Rewards Points: 17,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenuting View Post
$10k?
That must be smaller sites. Our basic service call threshold is about $8k. Then we bump the job into the next catagory of work order. That has a higher threshold before it hits a "project" level.. The last big job I was on 3 years ago was a 1.5m+ remodel of a building. (Nothing gold plated fancy).
Our biggest deciding factor for contracting out smaller stuff is,, can we meet the customers "required" completion date..
Or, if it's an emergency and we can't do it for lack of skills or material, we will contract it out the same day if needed. We do very little of that kind of contracting out..
On the sites I've been on I believe the term they use for a job over $10k is an IJO (Individual Job Order) and the onsite guys bid it just like outside contractors (so I have been told).
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
just the cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pa
Posts: 1,526
Rewards Points: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I highly doubt that.

IBEW apprenticeship is considered the best.
I would challenge that. My apprenticeship had me doing much more than an IBEW would have exposure to. I had to do all the pipe work and calcautions for service feeders. But we did
Residential
Commercial office buildings
Industrial installs
Motor rewind and repair
Controls
Electronics
And much more.

Yes IBEW has a good training program but you can get training but no real experience in allot of things. I here it on here all the time I only get to do this or that because that’s all the contractor does.
__________________
A cowboy may get thrown down, but he always gets up and walks forward and don't look back at what thru him.
just the cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:12 AM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3848 View Post
Interesting, I wonder if their apprentices learn as much as IBEW union apprentices.

Not even close, barely if not 0 rotations to learn from different people.
When I was in Local 3 there were more than a 100 journeyman to work with and learn from, most had a different unique and efficient method/technique to get a task done.


The feds' work will depend on what their mission is related to, such as providing support to the air-force so they can complete their day to day activity. And if that's the case, it can be specifically related to their aircraft or other equipment, and most of the time what and who you'll be learning from is related to a current military MOS, or AFSC.



Now that I'm into the Federal apprenticeship, there are only 2 journeyman to learn from, one doesn't seem to want to teach anything while the other is too overwhelmed with family matter and everything being passed on to him to complete. And that's that, I'm stuck with these two until one of them, or both retires.


Local 3 would pull me out of work for one week so I could attend trade classes that would actually reinforce what I've learned while also giving me the technical aspect of it. I remember my first day where I was introduced to the modern tools used by the A division, was taught how to bend conduit, introduced to the NEC code and how to navigate through the book and interpret its guidelines, and how perform basic electrician tasks that would be expected from a first year such as stripping a wire and properly terminating it.



The fed apprenticeship I'm currently in doesn't have this as it is too young and doesn't have a large amount of electrical apprentices, all trades pipefitting/rigging/electricians/ect... attend the same school program at the same time, and in term of knowledge IBEW beats it by light years.
3rd Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:18 AM   #26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 34
Default

~Edit.
My experience might be different as different locals and sites have different resources.
3rd Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #27
Coffee drinking member
 
Wirenuting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 11,756
Rewards Points: 5,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Rail View Post
Not even close, barely if not 0 rotations to learn from different people.
When I was in Local 3 there were more than a 100 journeyman to work with and learn from, most had a different unique and efficient method/technique to get a task done.


The feds' work will depend on what their mission is related to, such as providing support to the air-force so they can complete their day to day activity. And if that's the case, it can be specifically related to their aircraft or other equipment, and most of the time what and who you'll be learning from is related to a current military MOS, or AFSC.



Now that I'm into the Federal apprenticeship, there are only 2 journeyman to learn from, one doesn't seem to want to teach anything while the other is too overwhelmed with family matter and everything being passed on to him to complete. And that's that, I'm stuck with these two until one of them, or both retires.


Local 3 would pull me out of work for one week so I could attend trade classes that would actually reinforce what I've learned while also giving me the technical aspect of it. I remember my first day where I was introduced to the modern tools used by the A division, was taught how to bend conduit, introduced to the NEC code and how to navigate through the book and interpret its guidelines, and how perform basic electrician tasks that would be expected from a first year such as stripping a wire and properly terminating it.



The fed apprenticeship I'm currently in doesn't have this as it is too young and doesn't have a large amount of electrical apprentices, all trades pipefitting/rigging/electricians/ect... attend the same school program at the same time, and in term of knowledge IBEW beats it by light years.

It all depends on were you were hired into and who they have you riding with.
Ya there are slugs waiting for retirement. But there are others who charge right along until the day they walk out the door.
Sounds like your site supports the “Chair Force.”
__________________
Teacher, my brain is full... Can I go home now?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wirenuting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10
Default

@Wirenuting It's been a while but I have gone through the testing process and have had two interviews for NAVFAC SW. Assuming I get two job offers, I would be choosing between High Voltage Electrician and Electrician. In terms of NAVFAC, what would you say are the main differences between the two and what are the advantages/disadvantages of both routes?
Cam3848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Bird dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South East US
Posts: 4,520
Rewards Points: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon19 View Post
yes it is
Please fill out your profile.
__________________
Popcorn munching forum observer
Bird dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Bird dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South East US
Posts: 4,520
Rewards Points: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon19 View Post
yes i want to know this please help me
You should've received an email on how to do this. @Cricket
__________________
Popcorn munching forum observer
Bird dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon19 View Post
I like your post man popcorn munching observer
Lol I just got both positions and have to make a choice by tomorrow morning. Hope he chimes in today!
Cam3848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Bird dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South East US
Posts: 4,520
Rewards Points: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3848 View Post
Lol I just got both positions and have to make a choice by tomorrow morning. Hope he chimes in today!
By High voltage, do you mean like a power company lineman?


If this is it, then you're training to be an overhead lineman or like I said power company lineman. I would take the "Electrician" position IMO.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...aJeKIr2Yzi3c8g
__________________
Popcorn munching forum observer

Last edited by Bird dog; 04-30-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Bird dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
By High voltage, do you mean like a power company lineman?


If this is it, then you're training to be an overhead lineman or like I said power company lineman. I would take the "Electrician" position IMO.

Why would you take the Electrician position over lineman?
Cam3848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Bird dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South East US
Posts: 4,520
Rewards Points: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3848 View Post
Why would you take the Electrician position over lineman?
It's really tough work & looking down the road fewer opportunities. But, being in my 50s, I know that by your 40s you want a less physically demanding job. This is an apprenticeship & you may not always work for the gov't, so, you need to have as many options as possible. Some would say "you don't want to be a one trick pony".
Cam3848 likes this.
__________________
Popcorn munching forum observer
Bird dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Default

I'm planning to apply for an apprenticeship with NAVFAC this fall, so I'm following this thread closely. I'd be interested to hear what the work/school schedule is like as well as the starting wage if you'd be willing to share.
Congrats on getting the job offers, by the way - sounds like a good career to transition to
osocarpintero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:18 PM   #36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osocarpintero View Post
I'm planning to apply for an apprenticeship with NAVFAC this fall, so I'm following this thread closely. I'd be interested to hear what the work/school schedule is like as well as the starting wage if you'd be willing to share.
Congrats on getting the job offers, by the way - sounds like a good career to transition to
As I move through the process (its a long one by the way), I'll keep posting updates here. I chose high voltage by the way.
MikeFL likes this.
Cam3848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:12 AM   #37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Cam3848, if you could tell me how you were notified about the job offer. Was it via email, phone call, or snail mail? You see, I too applied for, tested, and interviewed for the NAVFAC SW Apprenticeship this go around and I'm waiting to hear something. I'm obviously hoping to get a position and will be disappointed if I don't. It's going to tick me off a little though if the government leaves those of us who didn't get in hanging with no word at all. They can at least send a "sorry Charlie" email to the rejects since we applied, took and passed the test, and went through their interview process.
Gasmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasmonkey View Post
Cam3848, if you could tell me how you were notified about the job offer. Was it via email, phone call, or snail mail? You see, I too applied for, tested, and interviewed for the NAVFAC SW Apprenticeship this go around and I'm waiting to hear something. I'm obviously hoping to get a position and will be disappointed if I don't. It's going to tick me off a little though if the government leaves those of us who didn't get in hanging with no word at all. They can at least send a "sorry Charlie" email to the rejects since we applied, took and passed the test, and went through their interview process.
Gasmonkey, I was notified about the job offer via phone call exactly two weeks after my last interview. Every interview I had, the panel said it would take two weeks for notifications. When was your last interview?
Cam3848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Well I suppose I need to be patient. My interview isn't 2 weeks old yet. I've only had the 1 interview (for multiple positions) and I was led to believe there would only be that 1 interview. There are multiple facilities with multiple apprenticeship spots so naturally they were holding their respective interviews on different days. Hopefully I'll hear something positive (or a "thanks but no thanks") when my two week mark rolls up.
Gasmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:04 AM   #40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Quick update: After I was given a job offer over the phone (4/30/2019), NAVFAC said they sent my paperwork to "USA Staffing" I think. USA Staffing will go through the paperwork and then send a Tentative Job Offer (TJO). After receiving the TJO, I will go in for the medical, physical, and background check. I am still waiting for the TJO. Apparently that is a long process as well.
MikeFL likes this.
Cam3848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IBEW 353 or CUSW apprenticeship ? cb879 Electrician Apprentice Forum 10 01-05-2019 08:50 PM
About to finish College and Start Apprenticeship FutureJourneyman26 Electrician Apprentice Forum 5 10-22-2017 12:18 PM
Can someone explain the apprenticeship process (start to finish- Ontario)? soontobe Electrician Apprentice Forum 3 05-06-2017 12:09 PM
Apprenticeship Opportunity Question careerswitch Electrician Apprentice Forum 4 03-18-2017 01:07 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com