New gear for preapprentice - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By daveEM
  • 3 Post By Bgmatt
  • 1 Post By AlmostPro

Old 10-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Question New gear for preapprentice

Brave enough to admit I am totally green, looking for advice for the tool list we were given for training.

is there a rule of thumb for hard hat colours?

What is the best tool pouch and belt for an apprentice?

Thanks for your time in advance,
k8erade
k8erade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,010

Welcome aboard @k8erade!

Don't get a white hardhat!
(btw your employer should provide all PPE under OSHA guidelines)

Get the most basic leather pouch you can get, a separate hammer loop, and a leather belt, you will get years out of them.

Navyguy, daveEM and k8erade like this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

Veto TP4

^^ Notice the belt loop, no belt. Depending on what you do you may just want to carry it.

It's quite small but you can get an amazing amount of stuff in it... or not. It has a nice clip on the back so you can router a slot in your ladder and clip it on. Mine for example in the pics below...

The Veto TP3 is too small in my book.

These pouches are expensive but if no one steals it... it will last many years. Post below from @Bgmatt gives you an idea on the belt if you wish to get one. The belt on the leather pouch below is very wide (3-4 inches) and has a felt backing so nice against your body. Pouches attach to it.

It is leather pouch #4 (one was stolen) and my 5th and last is the Veto TP4 I bought so I could carry it instead of wearing it. Soon 50 years as an electrician. Do very little now, - only to entertain myself.
Attached Thumbnails
New gear for preapprentice-img_20161128_131503-copy.jpg  

New gear for preapprentice-img_20170710_074936-copy.jpg  

New gear for preapprentice-img_20170710_075929-copy.jpg  

MechanicalDVR and k8erade like this.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by daveEM; 10-07-2017 at 04:33 PM.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

Hi k8erade! I'm probably even greener than you are, but here's something that's been working for me (and I would love to get feedback from the senior guys on it). I went to my local flea market and got an army surplus gear belt and suspenders for $10. They are extremely durable, cheap to buy, and the belt is stiff enough to hold a ton of gear. You can also find padded sleeves that fit the belt if you want.
daveEM, splatz and k8erade like this.
Bgmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Welcome aboard @k8erade!

Don't get a white hardhat!
(btw your employer should provide all PPE under OSHA guidelines)

Get the most basic leather pouch you can get, a separate hammer loop, and a leather belt, you will get years out of them.

No white hardhat?? Any reason for that? All I've seen are either the bob the builder yellow or white. All my co-workers have white.
AlmostPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostPro View Post
No white hardhat?? Any reason for that? All I've seen are either the bob the builder yellow or white. All my co-workers have white.
In many locations a white hard hat is for inspectors and managers.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 142

Ah I see. Where I've been working it has been red.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
AlmostPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:30 PM   #8

I would get a nice leather pouch with a slot for your hammer screwdrivers strippers and etc for tool I personally like Klein tool little pricey but worth it in my opinion
CoryF11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryF11 View Post
I would get a nice leather pouch with a slot for your hammer screwdrivers strippers and etc for tool I personally like Klein tool little pricey but worth it in my opinion
Welcome aboard Cory!

Enjoy your ride here.

You should intro yourself in the introductions area.