Tips on prep for J'mans test - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree11Likes

Old 08-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 84
Default Tips on prep for J'mans test

I would like your opinions on the best way to prep for the Michigan journeyman's test? There are so many test prep websites out there, I don't know what is good or bad, or even legit. With so many great electricians on here, I though some of you may have some advice for me. Thank you!
jarrydee is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 74

I took mine in January 2011 (Texas) and passed the first time. I used Ray Holders online stuff, which worked. I also used the same Ray Holder stuff for my masters studying, and passed the "General Knowledge" portion of the masters 1st try, but failed the calculations by 3 points. I find Rays to be lacking in the calc department. Supposedly Mike Holt has a really good course
Nick'sElectricLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick'sElectricLLC View Post
I took mine in January 2011 (Texas) and passed the first time. I used Ray Holders online stuff, which worked. I also used the same Ray Holder stuff for my masters studying, and passed the "General Knowledge" portion of the masters 1st try, but failed the calculations by 3 points. I find Rays to be lacking in the calc department. Supposedly Mike Holt has a really good course
Thank you! I been watching a ton of Mikes videos on YT. I looked at his full course and it was like $999.00... I can not swing that right now. hell, just buying the 2017 code book was expensive for me. last code book I bought was in 2003, could not believe the price hike. Do they make a prep book on just electrical calculations? I want to make sure I have everything covered when I test. Hell, I am worried that they will not let me test. I have all my hours signed and documented. But I did not have an apprentice card the past year. I do have 4 older apprentice cards though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 74

I believe Mike Holt does offer a book...and its much cheaper than the online stuff.
jarrydee likes this.
Nick'sElectricLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 856

I used this to pass mine:
https://www.mikeholt.com/productitem.php?id=1497

I bought mine used from a member on here for like 175 bones, but it is 2014 and not 2017. Anyway, I find the book theory and calculation-heavy. That is great. Our test is Prometric and is more about looking up obscure sections in the code, which is hard to do on their time constraint.
jarrydee likes this.
sparkiez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 774

I used Stallcup’s books. Cheaper than Holt’s. I don’t know if he is making current books. You could try Tom Henry. I know guys that like his stuff.
jarrydee likes this.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #7

Thank you everyone!! Any tips on parts of the NEC that I should spend more time on than others?
Old 09-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 12

Check out Snapz software.
jarrydee likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
iwirekansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 8,816

Study high

Test high

Score high..... dosn't work.
jarrydee likes this.
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkiez View Post
I used this to pass mine:
https://www.mikeholt.com/productitem.php?id=1497

I bought mine used from a member on here for like 175 bones, but it is 2014 and not 2017. Anyway, I find the book theory and calculation-heavy. That is great. Our test is Prometric and is more about looking up obscure sections in the code, which is hard to do on their time constraint.
So would you say that I should keep learning how to get through the NEC fast, and stop worrying about power factors and efficiency? I been studying for almost 2 weeks, 8 hours a day and i think it is starting to fu*ck with my head. I am all over the place with one thing to another. hell, I am dreaming about this stuff.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 856

You need to be looking stuff up with a notebook sitting there so you can check cross references and verify as you are answering questions.

Is your test prometric? If so, then only 10% or so is calcs. That being said, you need to be able to do the calcs.
jarrydee likes this.
sparkiez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:04 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 7,051

Just practice using the index in the NEC. It's all about speed in finding specific sections.
telsa and jarrydee like this.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Just practice using the index in the NEC. It's all about speed in finding specific sections.
Thank you!! I been really working on being able to get through this thing fast. Still need more practice. I was told by my boss that 90% of the questions in Michigan are all in the book.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkiez View Post
You need to be looking stuff up with a notebook sitting there so you can check cross references and verify as you are answering questions.

Is your test prometric? If so, then only 10% or so is calcs. That being said, you need to be able to do the calcs.
Our test is given by PSI. Not sure what prometric is.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrydee View Post
Our test is given by PSI. Not sure what prometric is.
Same thing.
jarrydee likes this.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Same thing.
Thank you, that helps a lot. So, know how to navigate that code book, FAST right?
Old 09-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 40

If it's still around, I used Chuck Cossins exam prep to pass the Michigan Journey and Masters. It was tailored to the Michigan test. And as others have mentioned, you will be racing the clock, so the index and table of contents will be your friend.
jarrydee likes this.
Seau1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrydee View Post
Thank you, that helps a lot. So, know how to navigate that code book, FAST right?
Just spend a few day's flipping back and forth. Pick a random section from the index, then find it. You'll find out that a lot of stuff isn't where you'd expect to find it. Here's a fun one, see how many times, and what different places "X-ray" is listed in the index.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Just spend a few day's flipping back and forth. Pick a random section from the index, then find it. You'll find out that a lot of stuff isn't where you'd expect to find it. Here's a fun one, see how many times, and what different places "X-ray" is listed in the index.
WOW, just looked it up! That is one thing I have found. Taking practice tests, I would look in the spot most people would think is the right place, but then find out is is in a section you would never think of.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seau1355 View Post
If it's still around, I used Chuck Cossins exam prep to pass the Michigan Journey and Masters. It was tailored to the Michigan test. And as others have mentioned, you will be racing the clock, so the index and table of contents will be your friend.
Just checked, looks like he is out of business. having a hard time finding a class in MI. At least one thats not 4 hours away