Will I pass my physical for apprenticeship? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By LawnGuyLandSparky
  • 1 Post By electrician85
  • 2 Post By wildleg

Old 05-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Will I pass my physical for apprenticeship?

Hello everyone! I have been accepted into the local electrical union apprenticeship program if I pass the physical and drug test. I am worried I will not pass due to a broken pinky finger. I am a perfectly healthy and clean 19 year old besides this. I broke it back on april 15. My interview for the apprenticeship was on April 26 and they saw I had a splint on and did not seem concerned. I got an acceptance letter and I have to take do a drug test and physical on may 15. I am worried I will not get in because of this finger injury. It will be healed by the time work starts at the end of June. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I’m extremely worried because I want to get into this apprenticeship more than anything.
electrician85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,601

Take the splint off, deny everything. I have been to a thousand doctors and not one of them checked my fingers.

If he sees it in your records and asks you about it, say that it has healed and feels fine now.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #3

I’d just like to add that I have a pin in my finger so even if I take the splint off they’d see that. I’m scheduled to take my physical in the morning and then later that same day the pin is getting pulled out of my finger. I tried to reschedule to get the pin pulled the day before, but no openings. I’ll be getting a physical excessment done at the physical, so I imagine I’ll be picking up weights and what not. Just really unfortunate timing to break my finger...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,498

I think that they are just looking for things that would prevent you from doing the work like a heart condition, missing limbs or colorblindness.
ralpha494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,150

It's a physical, not basic training.
LawnGuyLandSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,418

I wouldn't lie about it. The first thing you sign at a doctor's office is to give them permission to access your medical records. They already know about it. If you lie about that, what else are you lying about?

Just don't go in there accident prone. Not sure how you broke it but don't joke around about it. Be serious and straight up about it. Tell him it got injured, it got fixed and it feels great and you're ready to go to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,434

There is no way broken finger is on the screening list, don't lie about it.

However, if there's a lifting test or something, you could have an issue. I had a pre-employment screening for a trucking company eons ago where you had to demonstrate you could lift a bucket of sand or something onto a high shelf three times.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 183

The physical is just making sure you aren’t going to have a heart attack on the job... they want to make sure you are in good health before offering you a job. The pinky is going to kill you, you’ll be fine.
cwsims84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #9
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 7,772

If they see your broken pinky finger and ask if someone punched you in the nose, I'll guarantee you passed.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:28 AM   #10

Thank you everyone for the input. I’m a little less worried now. I’ll post what happens
MikeFL likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to electrician85 For This Useful Post:
MikeFL (05-09-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 03:38 AM   #11
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 996

just take a cable cutter and remove the pinky. tell em it was a birth defect and the doctors all lied. problem solved. next !
sparkiez and Martine like this.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #12

My physical was yesterday and I think it went alright! I did have to left a 50 pound box and put it on a shelf and carry it across the room but I was able to do it no problem. They did take note of my finger injury though. Asked how long ago it happened and how it was feeling. My finger injury did happen at work so workers comp covered it. The nurse asked if I had ever been on workers comp and I said yes, so I hope that doesn’t go against me. I believe I passed the physical so now I have to wait to hear back from the union whether I’m officially in or out.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,418

Thanks for the update and good luck with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote