Buried splices, etc - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Code Violation Discussion

Old 07-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2
Default Buried splices, etc

This is the job I started today - partial rehab. I don't really know the story behind it, and most of the pictures I took were with the company's camera, which I don't get copy's of. I just HAD to grab mine when I had a chance though...

It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Town Drunk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
Town Drunk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Town Drunk

Default Whirlpool tub GFCI

Box? We don't need no stinkin' box!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Town Drunk

Default A/C unit

Old 07-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

That is some unbelievable wiring! I canít believe that would pass any inspection before the drywall was hang??
puma1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
Town Drunk

I believe that the basement was finished, and walls were moved/removed after the building was occupied.
As I said, I don't know why the work is being done. Judging by the fact that almost all the sheetrock in the basement, and 1/2 the 1st floor ceiling is removed, and the smell (musty) I am guessing a major water leak.

The old work 4" recess, with the 3 gang buried Jbox - almost certainly a wall was removed here.
The splice-ball above the steps - the 3 gang (not shown) was moved from one side of the steps to the other. (Wall at side of steps removed)

Wait until you see some of the rest I don't have pictures of yet.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,002

I have five bucks the same person or company was responsible for the plumbing and electrical.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 23,894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkessler View Post
I have five bucks the same person or company was responsible for the plumbing and electrical.
I kind of recent that remark. I do piping and electrical and our stuff is way better then that mess. That is about the worst I have seen. I think your right though,it has the flavor of one of those "we do it all companies".
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I kind of recent that remark. I do piping and electrical and our stuff is way better then that mess. That is about the worst I have seen. I think your right though,it has the flavor of one of those "we do it all companies".
But, then again it could have been a HO that hangs out on the DIY channel and site and thinks he knows it all and the price.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkiller View Post
But, then again it could have been a HO that hangs out on the DIY channel and site and thinks he knows it all and the price.

Yep, probably is. I got a call today from someone looking for a price to upgrade their service. They are putting in a new addition and are planning to do the wiring themselves. They just want me to "hook up the wires".

Yeah right.
Mountain Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,002

Instead of saying the plumbing and electrical I should have said the " I'll do anything for money" guy, The diy chatroom guy, I never thought of him before but thats a real possibility.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

I found the pic of the whirlpool hilliarious. At first I thought they were just in the middle of some repair, but the tub or something is plugged in to it like it has been used recently.

What I found amazing is the fact that at least it was a GFCI outlet, meanwhile all the wire on the back is exposed.

You guys post these crazy pictures of wiring jobs you come across, and it just amazes me that people would not only live in it, but who the heck installed it. I am no electrician, heck I can barely make a patch cord for my network, and yet I know I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that mess.

JJ

Aiken Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 4,274

My favorite by far was the spa tub. The didn't even bother to pull the PAPER off the romex

Now THAT'S lazy.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,006

I heard a good one today - "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys", man I love that one. This will be my new saying!
BIGRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
Town Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRED View Post
I heard a good one today - "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys", man I love that one. This will be my new saying!
That's a good one!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ0906 View Post
That's a good one!
Agreed! Interesting pictures to say the least.