Undeliverable Citation - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Code Violation Discussion

Like Tree13Likes

Old 03-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Default Undeliverable Citation

I recently was "caught" by an inspector, while I was setting up a float controlled 24v solenoid (which just plugs into the wall via a transformer). I'm not technically an electrician (I do water filtration work), but I never thought or realized that this was something that was considered electrical work. I've done loads of them in the past with no issues. Nothing is permanently connected to any main supply. Like I said, it's just a low voltage transformer that runs a solenoid valve and plugs into an outlet. Anyway, even the inspector didn't know if it was something that was allowed, so he said he had to go back and find out. He also said that was exceptions for like irrigation guys that were hooking up solenoid valves, which to me seems like the same thing as this.

About a week later, he left me a message and said they were sending me multiple citations. So far, I've gotten several notes in the mail from the USPS about how I need to be present to receive these citations, and I haven't been. I'm wondering if anybody knows what will happen when the stuff gets sent back to them because they couldn't get it to me.
Barrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #2

This was in snohomish county, WA by the way
Old 03-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 542

If it was me, I would take the citations, take them to a lawyer and make him show you in court that you were in violation. I wouldn't, under any circumstance, admit anything without my day in court.
99cents likes this.
J F Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #4
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 1,601

An electrician’s job ends after the receptacle is installed. What the owner plugs into that receptacle is his business.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,279

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
An electrician’s job ends after the receptacle is installed. What the owner plugs into that receptacle is his business.
It's not that simple. My state has laws and license requirements for security systems that plug into receptacles as well as low voltage landscape lights, etc.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #6
Band Member

Rewards Points: 2,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrence View Post
I'm wondering if anybody knows what will happen when the stuff gets sent back to them because they couldn't get it to me.
They'll hand it to a bailiff.

Agree with 99cents that plugging something in isn't covered, but do you have a business licence, insurance etc ??
gpop likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
German Spy

Rewards Points: 4,523

What was the solenoid for, and how did he catch you, if you don't mind me asking?

And what info did you give him? Drivers license, business card...ect?
He left you a message? You didn't answer right?
Old 03-26-2020, 05:20 PM   #8
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
It's not that simple. My state has laws and license requirements for security systems that plug into receptacles as well as low voltage landscape lights, etc.

Nanny state
99cents likes this.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 840

I'm not sure what you mean by "water filtration work" but if you're one of those scammers who knocks on a door saying "we're testing water in your area today and you need to fill this plastic bottle so we can test your water..." then you deserve everyone one of those citations and many more. The "test" is to drop something in the water that causes a particular reaction and convince (lie to) the customer that it's dangerous water, but for only five grand we can save your life today!
John Valdes and 99cents like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:37 PM   #10
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 1,601

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
Nanny state
Beat me to it!

Anything for a buck.
emtnut likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,279

Quote:
Nanny state
Agreed. We call New Jersey "Canada Lite".
99cents, emtnut, raffcapz and 1 others like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:53 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 26,836

Quote:
This was in snohomish county, WA by the way
That county is under lock-down.

telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10,292

I don't get it.. So the float is part of the equipment you were installing/servicing? And it is just a plug in unit?

I fail to see how that would constitute electrical work, anymore than a spa/pool guy setting the controls on a pump, or replacing the pump, or a plumber replacing a dishwasher or garbage disposal, or the appliance delivery guys that install the cord on a dryer/range.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:13 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,636

You do a little more than plug it in (at least on the ones i have seen). The solenoid only comes with 6" of wire so its butt splice heaven.

With out the citations listing what rules you have broken its hard to tell if this is national, state or local code.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:45 PM   #15
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,390

If any of the plumbing or wiring is installed, it's subject to building codes. If it's discrete, portable, standalone device like a Keurig machine, it isn't. The Keurig's wiring is all internal, the water supply is a jug on the side, and the drain is a tray under your mug. You can unplug the thing and put it in the box it was sold in and return it to Target.

It sounds like there may be no electrical installation, but it sounds like there is a plumbing installation.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:23 PM   #16
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Agreed. We call New Jersey "Canada Lite".

Old 03-26-2020, 10:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
What was the solenoid for, and how did he catch you, if you don't mind me asking?

And what info did you give him? Drivers license, business card...ect?
He left you a message? You didn't answer right?
It was for a shutting off the water going into an atmospheric storage tank. A float switch controls a normally closed solenoid valve which is powered by a 24v transformer. It IS something that is manually put together, but I didn't think that mattered with a situation like that. He saw me putting it together when he was there to do a final on the house. It was new construction. Unfortunately, I gave him way too much info. Wasn't thinking straight in the situation. I didn't answer his phone call, but he has all my business info, which he couldn've gotten off my truck anyways.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Nanny state
You're not wrong there
Old 03-26-2020, 10:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "water filtration work" but if you're one of those scammers who knocks on a door saying "we're testing water in your area today and you need to fill this plastic bottle so we can test your water..." then you deserve everyone one of those citations and many more. The "test" is to drop something in the water that causes a particular reaction and convince (lie to) the customer that it's dangerous water, but for only five grand we can save your life today!
I'm not sure who those people are, but I don't knock on anybody's door unless they ask me to come look at their water. I work on residential wells, and they often have pretty bad water. This particular place has a huge amount of iron in it, as well as tannins, and general low water production. Before treatment, it looks like dark tea coming out of the hose. I rarely see things that are harmful, just nuisance stuff that causes staining and whatnot. It's usually the opposite actually. People call me freaking out about minimal amounts of harmful things like arsenic or coliform, and I have to calm them down and convince them it's not as big of a deal as they're making it out to be.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:38 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 10,292

Quote:
I'm not sure who those people are, but I don't knock on anybody's door unless they ask me to come look at their water. I work on residential wells, and they often have pretty bad water. This particular place has a huge amount of iron in it, as well as tannins, and general low water production. Before treatment, it looks like dark tea coming out of the hose. I rarely see things that are harmful, just nuisance stuff that causes staining and whatnot. It's usually the opposite actually. People call me freaking out about minimal amounts of harmful things like arsenic or coliform, and I have to calm them down and convince them it's not as big of a deal as they're making it out to be.
So do you carry the appropriate license for what you do?

I still fail to see the need for an electrician on something specialized like this, specific to a certain craft.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote