Is anyone running a NV200 for a service truck? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By drsparky
  • 1 Post By tjb
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By leslieandpalmer
  • 1 Post By drsparky
  • 1 Post By varmit

Old 05-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default Is anyone running a NV200 for a service truck?

Interested in hearing about it. What's the avg millage like when loaded with tools and wire? How's it holding up? If I'm going to go this small I'll be investing in a Ranger fit out, is anyone running that shelf setup?

Any information greatly appreciated
leslieandpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 480

Get the Chevy City Express instead. Much better in every way, leaps and bounds better than the Nissan NV200. Better quality, tougher materials, unbelievable engineering went into the designing that bow tie they glued to the front.
JoeSparky likes this.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,494

24 / City - 26 / Highway is what they are advertising for gas milage. I'm guessing fully loaded you'll probably drop 5 or so miles per gallon.

We have a Ford Transit Connect which is about the same size as the NV200 that we use just for maintenance and service for our 1,000+ generator customers.

I'll try to get some pictures next week of the shelf setup.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363

Saw one on the road this morning. My thought was it looked too small to be really useful. If you’re doing service calls, you really need a variety of stock with you, so the concept of a small vehicle for service calls just doesn’t make sense to me.

Full sized van at least.
Navyguy likes this.
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 461

If I downsized, I would get the Mercedes Metris. It's the closest thing to the beloved Astrovan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Saw one on the road this morning. My thought was it looked too small to be really useful. If you’re doing service calls, you really need a variety of stock with you, so the concept of a small vehicle for service calls just doesn’t make sense to me.

Full sized van at least.
I guess it depends on what type of service work you do. For mostly troubleshooting and small repairs I would be fine with one. It's the bigger jobs that I fill up the floor in my van.

I guess it also depends on your area and what's available. I stock less on my truck every year. If I don't have something that I need during a service call, the customer pays me my full rate to take a ride to the supply house. That's the way the plumbers and HVAC guys do it.
tjb likes this.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:10 PM   #6
Dope-less Hope Fiend

Rewards Points: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
Get the Chevy City Express instead. Much better in every way, leaps and bounds better than the Nissan NV200. Better quality, tougher materials, unbelievable engineering went into the designing that bow tie they glued to the front.
From the Chevrolet website "The Chevy City Express is no longer available".
Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Dan the electricman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4

I would have bought the Chevy had it been available.

This truck would be used basically as a large job box. I don't need it to move material around much- we have a pickup in the fleet for that. It's mostly to carry tools, fasteners, pipe fittings and wire. Right now I'm running a E250 and it's almost always empty. More shelves seems to mean I carry more stuff I don't use every day.

I'd have it fitted with ladder racks, a pipe carrier and that ranger setup I posted about.

https://rangerdesign.com/products/electrical-van-shelving-package-nissan-nv200-cnl-11
Drsparky14 likes this.
leslieandpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,576

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
That is odd. The City Express WAS a rebadged Nissan NV200. They sold poorly so Chevrolet discontinued them. Nissan is still making the NV200 version.
varmit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #9
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit View Post
That is odd. The City Express WAS a rebadged Nissan NV200. They sold poorly so Chevrolet discontinued them. Nissan is still making the NV200 version.
Slapping a bow tie on a Nissan is GMs idea of engineering.
tjb likes this.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,576

Oops, I reread your post and now see the sarcasm.
drsparky likes this.
varmit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,862

I looked at one, but went with the NV2500 High Roof. Will be getting the NV3500's next time, maybe a mix of high roof and standard roof. Only thing I don't like is that you cannot get into the overhead bin because of the wall divider.

Kitted with Ranger on the inside, simple layout with a section for our custom shelves for out Packout system.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote