Best wire strippers? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree17Likes

Old 02-27-2011, 02:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Default Best wire strippers?

I just lost my strippers somehow and I'm looking for one equal to or better than then. Here is my old pair.

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-1011-Str...8787428&sr=1-6

They worked great but I really need help on deciding which pair to buy based on one factor - the loop holes. I used a bigger pair for a day and the loops were nothing like the one I lost. I don't know how many real electricians use the loop holes (I'm still in school) but I feel like it helps me a lot, saves time, and does it perfect.. well the old one.

So I was wondering, are all loop holes the same or do they vary slightly? If you've used a pair you remember that stood out, please fill me in.
Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 03:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 77

I like ones that have screw cutters, at least 6-32 & 8-32. Some have 10-32 & 10-24. I think most types are pretty good on stripping wire.
jmellc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmellc For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 03:44 AM   #3
Sideways Sparky

Rewards Points: 1,168

My advice is to get some ideal strippers and never look back. The loop holes take some getting used to after using the kleins, but it is well worth it.
sbrn33 likes this.
farlsincharge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to farlsincharge For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
NO high voltage here

Rewards Points: 1,248

I will agree with ideals. Best i have owned
mikeh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
evil bastard

Rewards Points: 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
I just lost my strippers somehow and I'm looking for one equal to or better than then. Here is my old pair.

They worked great but I really need help on deciding which pair to buy based on one factor - the loop holes. I used a bigger pair for a day and the loops were nothing like the one I lost. I don't know how many real electricians use the loop holes (I'm still in school) but I feel like it helps me a lot, saves time, and does it perfect.. well the old one.

So I was wondering, are all loop holes the same or do they vary slightly? If you've used a pair you remember that stood out, please fill me in.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/c...rippers-19664/
mdnitedrftr and socket2ya like this.
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 530

The craftsman one is great. It's an exact replica of the Klein style, not the one you used but the other longer one . Plus there lifetime replacement, I'm on my third pair.
GEORGE D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,006

These are the ones I use. I don't think klein makes them as every company out there has a pair that are identicle.
The crimpers on them suck but the screw cutters are great. I use them to cut screws almost as much as I do to strip wire.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Fried Bologna um um good!

Right now I am using Ideal reflex. I've had two or 3 different models of every brand. IMO they all work about the same. Buy the brand that feels best in your hand.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 518

Kinetic Reflex Super T-Stripper
crazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:

These are the ones i use these days..http://www.amazon.com/Klein-11055-Kl...ref=pd_cp_hi_2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,610

Quote:

Have used the Ideal Stripmaster since they first came out. They last me maybe 2 years but the wear and tear they save on the hands and wrists is worth it. http://www.idealindustries.ca/produc...tripmaster.php
Attached Images

Navyguy and alex_becky like this.
wcord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

I have the ideal kinetic reflex strippers and love them and i also have the klein kurve strippers. I like the fact that the ideal strippers have the plastic up higher for my thumb when I strip wire the kleins dont. Also the klein strippers loosen up over time.
Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #13
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I generally get the Ideal one's that have up to a #8 skinning hole in them. I'm pretty picky about having sharp skinners, so I go through a pair every 4 or 5 months maybe. I don't spend a ton of money on the fancy one's, since everything goes dull in time.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,006

On a side note, does anyone else use the next size smaller hole?

Like for #10 I use the #12 hole, for #12 I use the #14 hole, so on and so forth.
It will give you a clean cut through the insulation.
John Valdes likes this.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
I have a black cat.

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsilkwood View Post

Like for #10 I use the #12 hole, for #12 I use the #14 hole, so on and so forth.
for stranded.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
Electric Al

Rewards Points: 2,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy View Post
for stranded.

I prefer to use the right size hole for the wire. I have found that if you nick it at all, it could break off when you twist it.

That being said, when the strippers get worn, they do not strip the insulation properly, and make it a little more difficult.

Much as I hate to admit it, then I have to toss the stripper out and buy a new one.

Steven Wright
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 77

I use the Klein 11055, not a huge fan of them but they get the job done well enough. I somehow ended up 3 pairs though

-bottom, first pair of strippers ever lost them doing a projector plug during a rough in, found them again 4 months later second day after refinding them a live wire modified my 14 gauge hole keeping them for cutting questionable wires.

-middle, replacement pair for the pair i "lost" now my main strippers

-top, gift at the company christmas party still virgin

a few guys i know really like the crocs i'd buy a pair but i have to wear out all these ones first
d-fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 25

Wow lots of suggestions. Thanks. I'm looking through all of them. Do any of you guys have experience with the loop holes on them? They make my part easier
Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #19
Sideways Sparky

Rewards Points: 1,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsilkwood View Post

With klien I always did, not so with the ideals.

As for the holes, it seems to me the ideals are slightly farther in on the stripper and require you to concentrate on making a small loop more than the kliens do.
farlsincharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #20
Canadian

Rewards Points: 500

I like my Greenlee ones, I'm pretty sure it's the klein above with green and yellow handles..
Dkdeakn (10-25-2013)