Borrowing, Lending and Losing Tools - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000
Default Borrowing, Lending and Losing Tools

This is more of a rant than anything else.

So the foreman lent me his ratchet wrenches last week to help me complete a task, not at my request however, and I didn't even use them. But I put them in my pouch anyway and of course forgot I had them when they sent me off to another work site.

To say the least this other site was horribly disorganized and I often found myself spending more time looking for something to do than actually being productive.

I have never lost a single tool in the year and a half that I've been doing this work, and within 1 week both of those ratchet wrenches disappeared despite not having used them. I "lost" all of my pencils and markers. My cell phone which was originally in my pouch was missing for several hours and not to my surprise the two clowns that had been giving me a hard time "found it". And my 1/2'' nut driver is gone as well. Which also just made me realize that I lent my 60 dollar unibit to one of the Journey's and forgot about it. I hope to god I get it back.

The foreman wasn't too worried about the wrenches, but I insisted on replacing them, so that was 30 dollars down the drain.

Some people never lend out their tools. These are probably the same guys I work with who never bother taking half their tools out of the car. I feel like as a helper/apprentice, showing the tools I have available is kind of an advertisement to what I can do. But recently people have been taking advantage of it.

A shame because I don't mind lending out a tool every now and then, but this is getting ridiculous. If I set up shop I'd be making a killing. For now on they'll just have to make due without unless I'm within view and receive it right back.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
Bababoee

Rewards Points: 2,030

I think your last sentance summed it all up. I dont usually have a problem letting someone borrow something but there are guys that will take that as "my tools are your tools" and they wont bother bringing out their own tools to work. For some reason they like to keep them at home and probably still in the packaging, just to look at and say "oh yea I got one of those at home".
When I was a helper I had a big tool box and another millwakee bag of cordless stuff and a tool belt and carry along pouch. I like to have the right tool for the right job. And I eventually had to put everything under lock and key.
captkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
That Guy

Rewards Points: 2,002

I would politely ask your employer for a tool list.
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

The first time someone borrows a tool of mine is usually the last time.

1. You borrow it, you return it. I'm not spending half my day tracking down my tools.

2. You return it when you're done. Not at the end of the day. Or next week.

3. You return it in the same condition you received it. Don't use my screwdriver as a pry bar or concrete chisel and bring it back bent and chipped. You will buy me a new one and you get to keep the one you trashed.

4. Don't like my terms? Go buy your own tools then.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Spraypaint all your tools with a unique spray color and put some sorta id marking with a die stamp kit you can get at harbor freight. harbor freight sells very identical uni-bits for $15 a set... loose those and it's not too much to cry about.

When I was a apprentice, there were some journey workers that made fun of me because either they were jealous or felt i was a know it all since I invested in nice tools on the first week of apprenticeship. They did "barrow" or "find" my tools and usually never returned them in an attempt to fustrate me and bully me to quit.

Let's just say Revenge is your best friend and they never messed with me after that.

1) tire sidewalls with a 16d nail or some scribe/tap/center punch tool.

2) adhesive remover works great on auto paint with a coffee cup, they even have a arseol spray version now.

3) walk along side the entire length of bosses car with a large 3"+ screw and key it.

4) bb gun the bosses car windows when it's parked or rock it.

5) lean against the bosses car/truck mirror and rock it in up and down motion..it'll break off.

6) use 30# fishing line and tie bosses tail pipe to a pole or something... once it takes off...... hahahahah!!

7) use water shutoff tool and turn off water at boss's house

8) call up his utility/garbage company and discontinue/suspend service on his behalf

9) order take out/pizza and deliver to his house every night or every so often, each time calling a different place...

10) put an ad in a newspaper somewhere and have women call his home/wifes cell.
slowforthecones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #6

I like #10 the best..... it wrecks havoc if they the punk is having trust issues at home with the wife/girlfriend.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforthecones View Post
Spraypaint all your tools with a unique spray color and put some sorta id marking with a die stamp kit you can get at harbor freight. harbor freight sells very identical uni-bits for $15 a set... loose those and it's not too much to cry about.

When I was a apprentice, there were some journey workers that made fun of me because either they were jealous or felt i was a know it all since I invested in nice tools on the first week of apprenticeship. They did "barrow" or "find" my tools and usually never returned them in an attempt to fustrate me and bully me to quit.

Let's just say Revenge is your best friend and they never messed with me after that.

2) adhesive remover works great on auto paint with a coffee cup, they even have a arseol spray version now.

3) walk along side the entire length of bosses car with a large 3"+ screw and key it.

5) lean against the bosses car/truck mirror and rock it in up and down motion..it'll break off.

6) use 30# fishing line and tie bosses tail pipe to a pole or something... once it takes off...... hahahahah!!

8) call up his utility/garbage company and discontinue/suspend service on his behalf

9) order take out/pizza and deliver to his house every night or every so often, each time calling a different place...

Right, because vandalism, theft, and lying is the honorable thing to do.
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
Even hacks have ethics!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
Bababoee

Quote:
reluctantly....I must agree with Peter.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
I would politely ask your employer for a tool list.
Bah, it's an open shop, I doubt they have a tool list, (though, they used to be Union, I heard).

I'd rather be bending pipe than what they have the first years doing, which is standing at the bottom of a ladder, or chipping concrete. So far they've been pretty good about letting me do my thing.

However, when they do pair me up with a journey, more often than not, it comes down to: "Do you got this tool? Do you got that tool?"
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
Even hacks have ethics!
Nothing gets by you, Tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkirk View Post
reluctantly....I must agree with Peter.
Must be painful.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
Bababoee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
Bah, it's an open shop, I doubt they have a tool list, (though, they used to be Union, I heard).

I'd rather be bending pipe than what they have the first years doing, which is standing at the bottom of a ladder, or chipping concrete. So far they've been pretty good about letting me do my thing.

However, when they do pair me up with a journey, more often than not, it comes down to: "Do you got this tool? Do you got that tool?"
My first two bosses had tool lists. My second and favorite boss even had employee handbooks. He ran a very professional non union shop. Helpers had one smaller tool list pretty much what you could fit in a decent size pouch and Mechanics/Journey men had a much bigger one.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 182

Quote:

What a A hole, your pranks can get you killed.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
What a A hole, your pranks can get you killed.
Don't be surprised...this is the same guy who made racial slurs against black people.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
Senior Moment

Quote:
Don't be surprised...this is the same guy who made racial slurs against black people.
That can get him double killed, with added painful highlights.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #16
Bababoee

Quote:
How funny would it be if some of his victims saw this thread....? "Hmf those things sound like what happened to me"....."and I worked with this guy"......

Last edited by captkirk; 07-20-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #17
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkirk View Post
How funny would it be if some of his victims saw this thread....? "Hmf those thing sound like what happened to me"....."and I worked with this guy"......
That would be great for the sneaky coward to get caught. He may yet learn to be a man.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #18

Well.... this was over 15 years ago! It was a different time then. Infact a jw felt bad I was getting picked on as a apprentice and told me the 10 things to get even.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #19

Ok guys..maybe the 1-10 list of things to do to get revenge sounds awful. I will only admit I tried #10. I never saw a jw got brought down to his knees and most my "lost" tools returned so quickly.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #20
Senior Moment

Quote:
Ok guys..maybe the 1-10 list of things to do to get revenge sounds awful. I will only admit I tried #10. I never saw a jw got brought down to his knees and most my "lost" tools returned so quickly.
Just be a man, not some sneaky punk.