Cool Tools - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 02-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,222
Default Cool Tools

DIY channel has a show Cool Tools they as showing a Kilt for working in with built in tool pockets. Somehow if suspenders are questionable to some I doubt a kilt willl fly anywhere.
brian john is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
seo

Rewards Points: 150

It would be in order for a Celtic festival.
seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2

Someone has posted pictures of those before - actually Celtic, if I remember correctly.

I'll pass. No breezes for me, thank you....
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #4

For those in need

http://www.utilikilts.com/
Old 02-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
Semi-Retired

Rewards Points: 500

I prefer to wear shorts in summer but when so many jobs require long pants I have to wonder which ones will allow a kilt.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I guess for the attention starved souls, or the people who forgot they were in America and still long for the homeplace of their ancestors, a kilt might be the way to go. A pair of work pants works fine for me. I can think of no compelling reason why a kilt would ever be a good idea, save for the two immature reasons I listed in the first sentence.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Thread Pirate

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
For those in need

http://www.utilikilts.com/
These are surprisingly comfortable for us uhmmm bigger guys, but you can forget asking a helper to hold the ladder for you... Too bad commercial jobs don't allow shorts or kilts.
PhatElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatElvis View Post
These are surprisingly comfortable for us uhmmm bigger guys, but you can forget asking a helper to hold the ladder for you... Too bad commercial jobs don't allow shorts or kilts.

Saw the show, it has a snap called the "modesty snap", for ladder climbing and the like.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
nap

I would have to check but I do not think they are legal to wear on any construction site. I believe OSHA requires long pants.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Thread Pirate

Rewards Points: 250

I got one as a gag gift one xmas from the guys. The day after New Years I showed up on one of my jobs with my tools where GC was fairly slack. We all got a good laugh and NOBODY would hold a ladder for me. Since then the kilt only gets an occasional outing.

BTW the jeans on job site rule is one of the stupidest things OSHA, or whoever thought that crap up, on the books. Well assuming it is on the books I have never found it. In the first place jeans will not afford you any real protection and in the second place it get so freaking hot here that heat strokes are a real problem.

Last edited by PhatElvis; 02-08-2009 at 10:59 AM.
PhatElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
I got one as a gag gift one xmas from the guys. The day after New Years I showed up on one of my jobs with my tools where GC was fairly slack. We all got a good laugh and NOBODY would hold a ladder for me. Since then the kilt only gets an occasional outing.
Having some Scottish ancestry, I have been known to wear the occasional kilt, my wife likes it and has bought all the ones I have.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I would have to check but I do not think they are legal to wear on any construction site. I believe OSHA requires long pants.
Quote:
BTW the jeans on job site rule is one of the stupidest things OSHA, or whoever thought that crap up, on the books. Well assuming it is on the books I have never found it. In the first place jeans will not afford you any real protection and in the second place it get so freaking hot here that heat strokes are a real problem.
This is untrue. OSHA requires PPE for the work you are doing. Pants can sometimes be considered PPE. This is typically a requirement from large contractors (general and electrical). This is part of their "safety program" which helps reduce their workman's comp insurance rates. I have challenged numerous people to show me the section that says I can not wear shorts. I have both Federal and California books next to me and it ain't in there. Haven't you ever seen a carpenter building a roof in summertime only wearing his little daisy dukes, work boots and his 70's **** 'stash? Illegal? No.

I have worn shorts on job sites pretty much continuously since 99. The only "problems" you may encounter is when you're on your knees (that's what knee pads are for) and shorts do not cover your boots. You have to be careful that boot lace hooks do not get caught on ladder rails.

Last edited by knowshorts; 02-08-2009 at 11:47 AM.
knowshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #13

[PhatElvis;

BTW the jeans on job site rule is one of the stupidest things OSHA, or whoever thought that crap up, on the books.
well osha does req long pants and 4 inch sleeves i just took a osha 10 hour deal last month and we kind of covered this also the pants & shirt must be 100 % cotton for electricians thats for your safety it has to do with getting electrocuted that cotton is safer than other materials comments ? Ill look it up in the book they gave us and post it if needed? Best to yas
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
pants & shirt must be 100 % cotton for electricians thats for your safety it has to do with getting electrocuted that cotton is safer than other materials comments ?
Cotton will burn off of you, polyester and some other synthetics will melt onto you making the burns much much more worse than they would have been.
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #15

True but if you are in the process of being electrocuted cotton offers no help, this is an arc flash issue. I like shorts and flip flops but never wore either on a job site.

In the 70's I took my shirt off on a job and the safety guy was all over me for having on a wife beater saying I could get sun stroke. I explained it was 100 degrees outside, BUT we were inside with no sun, no AC and windows installed. There was a female steam fitter that wore a wife beater everyday (she had huge cans, no bra). I asked him why she could get away with it but I could not. His explanation was he did not have the courage to tell her no more wife beaters as the guys on the job would kick his butt (I am dead serious) I told him when he made her wear a full shirt I would do the same, he never said another word.

Last edited by brian john; 02-08-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
the pants & shirt must be 100 % cotton for electricians thats for your safety it has to do with getting electrocuted that cotton is safer than other materials comments ?
"Must be"? It has nothing to due with being electrocuted. During a flash, cotton burns cleaner. Polyester burns and drips and sticks. Then again you should be wearing an arc suit for flash type work.
knowshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #17

Well yes the instructor did say cotton was better than other materials during a flash or electrical explosion or blast of heat flames or hot metal blast but during normal work our company makes it a rule you wear long pants you wear 4 inch sleeves and safety glasses & gloves 100% ,If osha came to your site and a worker was injured by wearing short pants guess what you did not comply with a safety plan youll be fined they dont say it in writing but they make a point in covering ones parts to protect one from injury . you can get away with it until the day you wish you had worn pants or you worker . take care
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,018

I won't ever wear shorts on a job again...when I was an apprentice I was working with my journeyman fishing wires into a live panel (I know I know), well I was at the panel and he was on the other side of the conduit pushing the fish in. The fish came in too fast and hit the lugs...about 2 feet of the fish burned off and turned into molten metal which then fell into my workboot behind the tongue. My boot basically burned to my foot and I couldnt wear work boots or shoes of any kind for a week. It wasn't fun! If I had of been wearing pants the molten glob of metal probably wouldnt have made it down my boot.
cdnelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote