Cordless screwdrivers? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 07-04-2007, 06:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Default Cordless screwdrivers?

Do you guys carry a cordless screwdriver in your tool belt? Which driver do you guys use; DeWalt stick driver, Milwaukee stick, Bosch PS20 / PS40....
I am looking to buy one and was hoping you guys could guide me in picking one.
twintask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I bought the Milwaukee one several years ago because it would "bend" in the middle to get a little extra torque if you needed it. I remember it was $112 bucks at the time, but I bought it anyhow because I had high hopes for it. It still looks like brand new, because I didn't get nearly as much use out of it as I hoped I would.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 640

I use my small Makita impact screw gun FAR more than I would a "screwdriver" type.
I personally can't see the use to "carry" any of those things.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #4

Speedy Petey
Do you think the new Bosch PS40 Impactor would be worth while to look at? It seems everyone is turning to impact drivers as their go to tool nowadays.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #5

That would be nice for devices and small stuff. Actually most of what we do is small stuff compared to other trades. I do think it is too small for every day use though.

I LOVE my Makita 14v. I have two kits on the truck, each with drill and impact. They get WELL used.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,206

The Mikata is EXCELLENT, but pricey.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #7

I think I will look into one of those impact driver/drill driver combos. I saw a new Makita 18V LXT kit (compact impact driver & compact drill driver) at the local Home Depot that looks interesting.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #8
Wire Ninja

How's an impact screwdriver work? Is it different than chucking up a screwdriver bit in a cordless hammer drill set on "hammer"? I guess I'm behind the curve, because I didn't know such a thing existed.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #9
K&R

Rewards Points: 75

I carry the Bosch PS20 with me. Fits real nice in the tool bag or belt. I only use it to install devices though.
K&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
K&R

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
How's an impact screwdriver work? Is it different than chucking up a screwdriver bit in a cordless hammer drill set on "hammer"? I guess I'm behind the curve, because I didn't know such a thing existed.
I cannot say exactly how they work but it is not like a hammer drill. I can do anything from drive a drywall screw, install devices, and then go directly to driving 4" lag bolts with mine. One of the best tools to hit the shelf in a long time. The prices have been dropping on them here lately too. The one we use is only 14.4 volts too. The bigger ones must be awesome.
K&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #11

They work exactly like an automotive impact gun.....just on a smaller scale.
They zip real quick when under little torque load, then they go into impact mode. They are variable speed so you can precisely control the power.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 77

I use a DeWalt 9.6v cordless drill. It's nice and light. Hangs nice on a monster hook. It has a little higher tourqe and speed than cordless screwdrivers. It will still uni-bit a 7/8" hole in a light fixture or put a hole in a stud with a 5/16" paddle bit. It's my all around finish tool for hanging fixtures and installing devices. We also use the wire-nut drill adapters so I use it for jointing. I also use it to hang panels, disconnects, wire condensors, furnaces, run pipe in some places, etc. For the tough jobs the 18v comes out. But I love that drill for the light work.
sparkysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #13

I picked up the Bosch PS40. Charged up the packs and put it to work.
I am impressed, it is not as powerful as a full size impact driver but has more umph than the PS20. Speed in setting screws is not incredibly fast but it gets the gob done even when stacked up against a 3" deck screw into 2 x 4 stud. Bosch did a nice job with the light ring around the hex chuck, illuminates better than most cyclop LEDs on other cordless drivers. Batteries charge fast, approx half hour. Not the tool for finishing a
deck or putting down a subfloor but sure would handle the various tasks that we would throw at it.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #14
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintask View Post
I picked up the Bosch PS40. Charged up the packs and put it to work.
I am impressed, it is not as powerful as a full size impact driver but has more umph than the PS20. Speed in setting screws is not incredibly fast but it gets the gob done even when stacked up against a 3" deck screw into 2 x 4 stud. Bosch did a nice job with the light ring around the hex chuck, illuminates better than most cyclop LEDs on other cordless drivers. Batteries charge fast, approx half hour. Not the tool for finishing a
deck or putting down a subfloor but sure would handle the various tasks that we would throw at it.
Thanks for that review!

I was at Sears over the weekend, and I was eyeballing them.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #15

MDShunk
Something I forgot to mention about the Bosch PS40 and all other impact drivers I've tried is that there is no horrible wrenching on your wrist, like what you get with a regular drill driver when you get near the end of putting in a fastener. Since having started using impact drivers, my wrist have been very happy.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #16
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintask View Post
MDShunk
Something I forgot to mention about the Bosch PS40 and all other impact drivers I've tried is that there is no horrible wrenching on your wrist, like what you get with a regular drill driver when you get near the end of putting in a fastener. Since having started using impact drivers, my wrist have been very happy.
SOLD! I'm buying one, in that case.