Cordless Tool Collection - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 03-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Default Cordless Tool Collection

Bought a second 4-piece combo kit friday, thought I'd take a picture of the cordless tool collection.

Batteries: 9

Chargers: 3 + Radio + Car Charger
Yillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

I know plenty of guys that like black and tan, guess your into black and yellow. Not knocking DeWalt, they hold up well when you don't abuse them.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #3

original 4-piece combo kit is over 8 years old, if I remember correctly. Never been serviced/replaced.

Just needed a second set for second truck.

We did take care of the first one, probably why it's lasted this long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

you know i dont think i've used a corded ( 120v ) drill in at least 8 months. comm. work. i agree, the dewalt is fine but dont abuse em. but i guess thats true for any tool.
paul d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #5

That's just the cordless collection, we have more DeWalt corded stuff, 3 half inch spade handle drills, Half-inch angle drill, recip saw, chop saw, cut-off saw.

Also, about the same time we bought the first combo kit, we were using 9.6 DeWalt cordless', they sit in a box at home now, replaced with 12v hitachi's, which were replaced with 10.8 makita's now.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I noticed you have 9 batteries. I carry 6 myself on my truck. I'm convinced that no matter how many batteries you carry, you'll still find yourself from time to time with all flat batteries.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
I noticed you have 9 batteries. I carry 6 myself on my truck. I'm convinced that no matter how many batteries you carry, you'll still find yourself from time to time with all flat batteries.
Isn't that the truth!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
R.I.P. 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Isn't that the truth!!

Yeah that's part of the Murphy's Law of construction, your 40' up in a tower, it just started to rain, it's the last hole of the day and not a charged battery to be found.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
Old 03-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #9

i use a 18v dewalt drill and sawzall daily and it takes 4 batteries to keep em going. got power in my gang box for chargers.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkiller View Post
Yeah that's part of the Murphy's Law of construction, your 40' up in a tower, it just started to rain, it's the last hole of the day and not a charged battery to be found.
When I did residential Murphy law's was as soon as you get as far into a crawl space as possible the bulb in the drop light breaks.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
Ambassador of Amps

Rewards Points: 2,354

is that the newer radio that will charge the nano packs?

~Matt
Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
When I did residential Murphy law's was as soon as you get as far into a crawl space as possible the bulb in the drop light breaks.
I've done my work by the light of a cell phone more than once because of that.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_5150 View Post
is that the newer radio that will charge the nano packs?

~Matt

Nah, that's the original radio, that I'm using 6 feet of bare copper as a antenna
Old 03-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #14

are radios banned by OHSHA ??
Old 03-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,286

Forgive me for being old fashon but I do not use battery operated tools. I have too much bad luck with them. If I need to drill 3 holes the drill will die after the second hole and the other battery will not be charged. At work we have a battery crimper and cutter about $3000.00 each they gather dust bacause they are not reliable.
I also do not like keyless chucks
I still trim out with a Yankee Screwdriver. The battery never goes down in it.
Lone Crapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #16
Ambassador of Amps

Rewards Points: 2,354

I use cordless tools not because it makes me look cool, but because anything that can make my job easier [on my body] is good. I dont want to be an old electrician that cant do anything because I wore my body out at a young age. I only work becaue I have to, not saying I dont love my job, but id rather be relaxing than in a 110 degree attic.

~Matt
Old 03-16-2009, 06:01 AM   #17
R.I.P. 2014

Quote:
I've done my work by the light of a cell phone more than once because of that.

Amen, and the wife just doesn't understand when you wanna see the backlight when picking out a new phone.

"One Nation Under God"
Old 03-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #18
Always Learnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkiller View Post
That's one feature that sold me on buying the new Milwaukee M18 line. Fuel gauge on the batteries. More than once in the last 2 weeks I've hit that button on the battery pack, saw only 2 lights, and changed batteries before I climbed into the lift.
amptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 9,058

Quote:
I have found that the best way is to assign a number to each battery, use them in sequence, and to make sure to always keep one in the charger.
Every year to year and a half, they will need to be replaced or sent to voltman.com for a rebuild.
Sometimes you can find the two 18volt dewalt battery special at HD for $85 or so. Its never been the right time in the battery cycle for me though.
Ive had one of my battery drills since the last century.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #20
Tabihu Juhar

Rewards Points: 2,000
Question

What do you fella's favor for cordless right angle drills?
76nemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dewalt