Cordless Tool Kits - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 03-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Cordless Tool Kits

I am a first term apprentice, and beginning to look at some combo kits. Was woundering if anyone uses Makita? and how good it is. I was look at this kit:

http://www.makita.ca/index.php?event...id=430&catid=9

Any reviews or advice would be great

Also if its not good would anyone suggest any other companies, like dewalt maybe?

Thanks
Gents
Gents is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 512

One advantage in my area to DeWalt is that they are so
widely used, so it is easy to find a battery or charger
in a pinch, although maybe it's different in other areas.
They also have a lot of different tools, probably more
than any other brand, e.g. I use a cordless jigsaw a
fair amount, and Dewalt was one of the few I found.
Their worklights are also pretty handy IMO.

Havings said that, while Dewalt is usually OK, I prefer my
Milwaukee cordless tools, but I am sure there are plenty
of opinions out there.
rexowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

In reality, a first term apprentice shouldn't have to worry about a sawzall, or any saw at all.

Shouldn't prolly have to worry about a cordless either.

Regardless, the 4-piece dewalt set (Drill, Flashlight, Circular Saw, Sawzall) has lasted over 7 years with us, and I know someone who has a Makita 4-piece that's not that old, and has had to be rapaired a few times.

But, the cordless I use every day, is the 10.8 Makita set, Impact drill and Driver drill.

Anyway, my point is, do you really need that set yet? What does the company you work at have for you to use?
Yillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #4

My brother has a makita kit and really likes it. he has had it since his first year and uses the drill, impact and sawzall all the time. his big thing is the fact that the drill is light. i know some other guys with them as well and they are really happy with the set.
paulcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I'm a little bit worried about why a first year feels compelled to buy a cordless kit. Nonetheless, I'd encourage you to not spend any serious money on it at this point. Couple reasons... 1) You shouldn't have to buy these things youself in the first place. 2) People won't steal junky brands of tools; tools that you probably can't afford to replace quickly if they are stolen. 3) When you get a real job, the contractor will either supply that stuff for you or he'll replace your junky one's with good one's as yours break.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #6

A first year should absolutely think about getting a drill. The truth is; times are changing. If you stick to the ways of an older generation you will be left behind.

To answer your question, Makita drills are specifically made for electricians [Or at least a large number of them]. They are extremely precise. What I noticed was that they spin slower and at more varied speeds through the trigger pull. Which basically means you will feel the smoothness of the motor.

A good way to think about it is this. Makitas' are scalpels and Dwalts are sledge hammers. In my opinion the Dewalt brand is for brutes who drop their tools and abuse them to hell.

I own these drills and they are AMAZING.

http://makita.ca/index.php?event=tool&id=706&catid=0
http://makita.ca/index.php?event=tool&id=3

Name:  BHP451_large.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  65.5 KB
Cordless Tool Kits-df030d_large.jpg
Mastertorturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,002

so another words makita wont take the abuse of a normal jobsite like dewalt will?
electricalperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastertorturer View Post
A first year should absolutely think about getting a drill. The truth is; times are changing. If you stick to the ways of an older generation you will be left behind.

To answer your question, Makita drills are specifically made for electricians [Or at least a large number of them]. They are extremely precise. What I noticed was that they spin slower and at more varied speeds through the trigger pull. Which basically means you will feel the smoothness of the motor.

A good way to think about it is this. Makitas' are scalpels and Dwalts are sledge hammers. In my opinion the Dewalt brand is for brutes who drop their tools and abuse them to hell.

I own these drills and they are AMAZING.

http://makita.ca/index.php?event=tool&id=706&catid=0
http://makita.ca/index.php?event=tool&id=3

Attachment 1141
Attachment 1142
How is that little drill? i just saw it in the flyer at work and wounder how it was
Gents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
SoCal electrician

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricalperson View Post
so another words makita wont take the abuse of a normal jobsite like dewalt will?
Well all I know is that my 18 volt lithium ion impact is 1 tough sob. my partner was using it at about 20+ ft from the ground when he dropped it. I was like . We looked and it was on the floor with the battery popped off. I put the battery back on and it was as good as before dropping it. Amazing ergonomics, nice led's on them that stay on for a lil after letting go of the trigger,and light batteries that charge in about 15 minutes. What more can you ask from a tool? You can't go wrong buying a nice tool.
Hidyusbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #10

That little drill is great. If you need to do any overhead drilling you willl appreciate the weight of it.

The best part is using it for live switches/receptacles. You can press the device firmly against the box and get those screws out easy and fast.

The real reason I got it though was for one item. A marrette driver to turn #30's. An unfortunate part of my job is changing ballasts. It's boring and you have to twist lots of wirenuts.
Mastertorturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hey Gents is the company that you work for making you buy these tools? I have never worked for a company that makes you furnish your own power tools. All I have ever supplyed was my hand tools.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
Hey Gents is the company that you work for making you buy these tools? I have never worked for a company that makes you furnish your own power tools. All I have ever supplyed was my hand tools.
I've noticed a trend the last 5 years that many contractors are requiring their guys to supply their own cordless drill. For the price of those things, that's probably not a big deal. A few in my area are also requiring the employee to provide a sawzall, but these are contractors that pay pretty well, so that becomes less of a big deal. Just like anyting else, the employee is free to say "no thanks" and shop for a different employer.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
child please.....

Rewards Points: 14

i've used Dewalt , Panasonic, and i recently bought a Ryobi 12v lith ion for installing outlets and such...The problem i have with dewalt is the batteries, Panasonic lasted a long time, but lacked the power of the dewalt, so far Ryobi has been pretty good and it wasn't expensive
NolaTigaBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 172

I got DeWalt drills, sawzall and circular saw kit - nice and the batteries charge very fast. But the undersized circular saw and expensive blades is of use to noone.

I've got a Hilti hammerdrill that is the cat's meow - wish I needed it more than I do.

But the best is the Milwakee cordless holeshooter / hammerdrill wiich will rip your arm out of it's socket if you let it. The battery can slide in from the front or the back, depending on the type of drill bit you're using, to maintain balance. I wanted to get the matching sawzall but they've since switched to a Lithium Ion type battery, and the last thing I need or want is more batteries to maintain.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #15

Default My experience with cordless tools

DEWALT: horrible experience
I first owned a dewalt kit (hammer drill, skill saw, recipro saw, flashlight).
I bought it off ebay for 300. Came new in the box, unopened, looked great. The flashlight had problems new (had to jiggle it to get it to turn back on). The drill's chuck had to be repaired & the new chuck they replaced it with sucked...it didn't hold bits as well (even though I tightened it down hard)...bits came loose and this eventually caused the drill to jerk hard (damaging the drill).
The reciprocating saw, after two months use, started clacking, burning up batteries, & overheating. Sent it in to get it fixed (which took time because supposedly they were running low on this particular part). After getting it back, the thing broke again within a day of using it. Sent it back again, they sent it back to me supposedly fixed & it went back to broken again immediately. The two year warranty ran out and I could no longer fix anything. I sold all of it dirt cheap and tossed the recipro in the garbage. Never wanted DeWalt again. DeWalt really pissed me off.

Ryobi: ok
I figured DeWalt is crap so I went Ryobi. Logic: the warranty on supposedly the best tools, DeWalt, is lousy (sending a tool back to me fixed which breaks in a day after scant use?! Replacing a chuck with a worse chuck?!) so I'll get disposable tools. Ryobi was ok, but I had to have 4 to 5 batteries in order to keep working. I'm drilling houses. Ultimately the power & battery life was unsatisfactory after owning it for a year.

Rigid: great then bad
Lifetime warranty. Who could go wrong with that? Then I find out they don't make an 18v right angle drill (yes I know they make a right angle impact, but that's not what I need, even ryobi has a right angle drill). They also have a design flaw with their hammer drill. After less than a year of use the battery tabs (or the slots on the drill for these tabs) get worn and the batteries slip off the drill. I have to hold the battery on the drill while I'm drilling. I could send this in and get it back but I know that ultimately they will wear out again and I'll have to send it in again to infinity. This problem exists on all their drills. I've used a friends and the battery slipped off the drill and fell 40 feet while drilling a hole. It still worked (good durability). But the damn battery slipped off again while drilling the same hole.

Last edited by chris.gianti; 08-14-2009 at 03:00 PM.
chris.gianti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 150

First things first, I don't believe any employee should be required to buy his/her own power tools especially an apprentice. However, having said that here is my two cents on the subject. We use mostly Milwaukee at my shop. We have had real good luck over the years. They have good battery life, pretty tough and comfortable to use. I've never had good luck with the Makita but after looking at some of the posted links and such I may have to give them another try. It looks like a pretty nice tool.
Boneshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #17

Unless you really need the power of the 18v I would suggest you look at the Bosch 12v Impactor. It will do for most work and light too. There are lots of good tools out there and more opinions than tools, in the end you got to make the chioce. Sears(yeah I know thats taboo here) has a new line of small 12v called Nextec, don't know much about them but they are cheaper than others of this type.
Richard Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #18
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
I got DeWalt drills, sawzall and circular saw kit - nice and the batteries charge very fast. But the undersized circular saw and expensive blades is of use to noone.

I've got a Hilti hammerdrill that is the cat's meow - wish I needed it more than I do.

But the best is the Milwakee cordless holeshooter / hammerdrill wiich will rip your arm out of it's socket if you let it. The battery can slide in from the front or the back, depending on the type of drill bit you're using, to maintain balance. I wanted to get the matching sawzall but they've since switched to a Lithium Ion type battery, and the last thing I need or want is more batteries to maintain.

A good friend has a brand new 18v nicad sawzall still in the box if your interested.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #19
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Rowe View Post
Unless you really need the power of the 18v I would suggest you look at the Bosch 12v Impactor. It will do for most work and light too. There are lots of good tools out there and more opinions than tools, in the end you got to make the chioce. Sears(yeah I know thats taboo here) has a new line of small 12v called Nextec, don't know much about them but they are cheaper than others of this type.

The Sears stuff is more homeowner than ryobi.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #20

I've bought some Hitachi over the last couple of years, Lowes had some great promos. So far I am very satisfied.
nratom45-70 is offline   Reply With Quote