Discontinuing my cordless tool system - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 01-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81
Default Discontinuing my cordless tool system

When I first became a sparky a couple of years ago, I bought the Black and Decker Firestorm 18v Cordless tool set (drill, sawzall, circular saw, etc.) for use at work. I bought this set because I didn't have the money to really buy anything else. Two years later they are all running still and have not had a problem with any of the tools.

Today, unfortunately, I found out that Black and Decker is discontinuing this tool line and ceasing all manufacturing of the tools, batteries, chargers, etc.

So now I am in the market for some new ones. I mean why keep a dying product anyway. Now I know a lot of people use DeWalt. For me though, the cost isn't justified by the product. It is still a tool that has probably the same problems as any other. What other brands do you use and what do you recommend as far as what cordless power tools I should have?

Thanks.
jculber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Fluke Skywalker

Rewards Points: 1,002

I will disagree and say Dewalt is worth the money. Rigid and Milwaukee are next in line. Don't waste your money on Ryobi!
walkerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I have had good results with all of the DeWalt tools from the XRP series, except the XRP hammerdrill, the clutch went out a couple of times and have heard that it is a common problem. So I just stick to the Bosch Hammerdrill when I need it.

Love the XRP recip. saw, it's been dropped, beaten, abused and still runs as good as new.
chenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

I've had DeWalt 24v stuff since they first came out (7-8 years ago?). Haven't had much trouble. Nice addition is the 120v adapter to keep from tearing batteries up when AC is available.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 178

Don't know who absorbed who but DeWalt/Black&Decker are one in the same now.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Certified Organic A-Hole

Rewards Points: 1,036

From what I hear Hilti is at the top of the list. They are very good quality. But whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM HARBOUR FREIGHT!!!
pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Semi-Retired

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
Don't know who absorbed who but DeWalt/Black&Decker are one in the same now.
When the Black & Decker tool company started making weekender grade tools and especially when they started making toaster ovens and other consumer appliances their traditional line of B&D Industrial Tools began to get an udeserved bad rap by ill-informed people.

Their solution? Buy the remains of the DeWalt company and use that name to relabel their commercial and industrial duty tools. Simple.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm a Bosch man. (generally speaking)
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 342

Black and Decker bought out DeWalt back in the very early 60's, FWIW.

Some B&D do, or at least did, use the same batteries and chargers as DeWalt, you might check.
itsunclebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
I own stock in FotoMat!

The cells in the vast majority of cordless tools are as common as belly buttons. Any tool repair shop worth it's salt should be able to rebuild a dead or dying battery pack.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsunclebill View Post
Black and Decker bought out DeWalt back in the very early 60's, FWIW.

Some B&D do, or at least did, use the same batteries and chargers as DeWalt, you might check.
in the old 18v firestorm or quantum? you could use the dewalt batteries in the b&d but you couldnt use the b&d in dewalt. they had a little tit that kept them from going in the dewalt. i guess so you couldnt use batteries that were half the price.

ive had batteries rebuilt but around here theres nowhere that does it so by the time you pay freight its about as cheap to buy new.
mattsilkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,206

Quote:
When I first became a sparky a couple of years ago, I bought the Black and Decker Firestorm 18v C
Your employer should buying you ANY and ALL power tools.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
The cells in the vast majority of cordless tools are as common as belly buttons. Any tool repair shop worth it's salt should be able to rebuild a dead or dying battery pack.
That's true but usually it's $40 to rebuild an 18V XRP NiCad and new ones are $100/pair.

I have the 18V XRPs because they have like 30+ tools that use them and this is a big selling point. Next buy will probably be to get the 18V Nano Li-Ion packs with a new tool. I do field work and in-house work (i'm an engineer at a small place where i have to build a lot of stuff personally and do field installs and fab) so I can't really justify buying Hilti (oh but I will try). and it's nice to have the same batteries for all the cordless drills/impact drivers/recip saws/circ saws/angle grinders in the whole building.

However they are very heavy. I will stay with DeWalt just for commonality and overall excellent value and durability and power for the price. $299 for the XRP hammerdrill and impact driver and two batteries and a charger where a Hilti is $400 for a 15V drill alone. No argument that the Hilti is a better tool but it's over twice as much money for the same capabilities.

I did augment my set with a Bosch pocket driver and use this thing for 99% of non-drilling tasks, light with plenty of power and with hex shank countersink bits it can save a lot of time. It runs really slow (n0=450 rpm) but it really is pocketable and they claim it will drive 300 3" deck screws on a charge. Here are some pics with a small milwaukee right angle attachment with an unshortened countersink attachment. Try deburring like this with a hammerdrill!

I wish I had some Hilti stuff but these three all fit in the toolbag at once with spare batteries and except for minor gripes they fit the bill well. The impact driver is a must for wood screws and lags and at 2400 rpm it's a great thing to use for those rotozip-style drill/saw sidecutting bits. Not an easy way to enlarge a hole but in a pinch it will do. I use the "baby drill" a lot. Our shop also has the Ridgid version of of the little bosch (the Ridgid has a chuck instead of a 1/4 hex socket, is 12V and runs at n0=600 rpm) and I'd probably get the Ridgid again since the chuck is a nice touch but it adds weight and bulk. Mostly I'd like a little more speed. Having a feather-touch chuck setting is really nice though. On clutch setting "1" it won't even twist off 2-56 machine screws. It's nice to be able to run everything down quickly with no fear of stripping things out and then make a pass by hand on assembly jobs.
proFeign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by proFeign View Post
That's true but usually it's $40 to rebuild an 18V XRP NiCad and new ones are $100/pair.....
So compare 'forty clams for a rebuild' to 'unable to buy a new one'.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
So compare 'forty clams for a rebuild' to 'unable to buy a new one'.
point taken, but then you're still using black & decker cordless tools. i see "failing battery" as a sign that it's time to upgrade the whole set.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #16

A machinist I once knew had what I consider to be the best philosophy/motto about buying tools:

High price only hurts once.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Our shop also has the Ridgid version of of the little bosch (the Ridgid has a chuck instead of a 1/4 hex socket, is 12V and runs at n0=600 rpm) and I'd probably get the Ridgid again since the chuck is a nice touch but it adds weight and bulk. Mostly I'd like a little more speed.
Like this baby?

220 Lbs of Torque

2 Speeds (1st-0-400rpm/2nd-1-1,000rpm)
Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
Like this baby?

220 Lbs of Torque

2 Speeds (1st-0-400rpm/2nd-1-1,000rpm)
damn it! just what i needed; more tools to lust after. I don't expect that I'll need to retire my little bosch for another 4-5 years though.

Bosch must listen to customer feedback! Except for what must be the extra bulk of the gearbox I would think that's awesome. Really for this little guy the big benefit it has is its incredibly shallow depth so it'll fit places even the little impact driver won't. They look like they got this one pretty good! The 1/4" hex collet is nice for a lot of things and really quick to change driver bits etc but if it was just going to be one tool i would want a real chuck.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #19
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
point taken, but then you're still using black & decker cordless tools. i see "failing battery" as a sign that it's time to upgrade the whole set.
Kinda like driving a Pinto?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #20

Quote:
damn it! just what i needed; more tools to lust after. I don't expect that I'll need to retire my little bosch for another 4-5 years though.

Bosch must listen to customer feedback! Except for what must be the extra bulk of the gearbox I would think that's awesome. Really for this little guy the big benefit it has is its incredibly shallow depth so it'll fit places even the little impact driver won't. They look like they got this one pretty good! The 1/4" hex collet is nice for a lot of things and really quick to change driver bits etc but if it was just going to be one tool i would want a real chuck.
I feel ya.

I have the little quick change mini-drill too, but I'm going to retire it to the "reserve" bag I have and tote this one along.

For jobs like screwing in metal boxes to those thin metal studs, my hammer drill is over kill, and the mini bosch struggles with the thicker outside studs.

I love Bosch.