Drill Index - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 09-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Default Drill Index

I usually order single bits for the sizes that I used the most, but I would like a good complete metal cutting drill index.

I see the prices range from $20 to $200. I don't want to waste money if it's not necessary, but I don't want to throw money away by buying a set that lasts for only a couple holes.

I've heard good things about the $20 Dewalt sets from Home Depot, but I have my doubts.

What drill index do you use? What would you recommend?
BadSplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 604

I have a "Made in USA" 29 piece index I got form the local hardware store. It was round $75 or so, so it was not an economy set by any stretch.

The bit are great and if taken care of it will last a very long time, which it will. Of course the 1/8", 1/4", 3/16", etc will have to be sharpened and/or replaced on occasion.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

My full sets in the metal boxes I got at one of those tent sales. No complaints.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 212

I hate Dewalt drills but I like the bits. Irwin seem to last if you use copious amounts of cutting oil. We you get down to the basics, they all are disposable items. I normal only need 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, keep plenty of those and an index for the occasional odd need.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #5

Believe it or not I have had real good luck with the Dewalt sets from HD. The ones with the starter point are superd. Just like any drill bit don't overheat them and use oil when needed.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #6

Seems like those $20 Dewalt bits from HD are liked here too. You can't go wrong with a $20 item, I'll pick them up next time I'm there.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,164

I use the Dewalt sets.

If you put the bits back every single time after use, you will have them for a long time. Once you misplace one, it goes downhill quickly.

I keep an extra 1/4" bit in my pouch. That's what I seem to use 90% of the time.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
I use the Dewalt sets.

If you put the bits back every single time after use, you will have them for a long time. Once you misplace one, it goes downhill quickly.

I keep an extra 1/4" bit in my pouch. That's what I seem to use 90% of the time.
Could not agree more, I got tired of loosing bits, so I just started forcing myself to put them back every time, now it is just a habit. I have done this with all my tools, its made life easier.
mikeg_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
Circumcised Member

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg_05 View Post
Could not agree more, I got tired of loosing bits, so I just started forcing myself to put them back every time, now it is just a habit. I have done this with all my tools, its made life easier.

and cheaper!
idontknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 23,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I have a "Made in USA" 29 piece index I got form the local hardware store. It was round $75 or so, so it was not an economy set by any stretch.

The bit are great and if taken care of it will last a very long time, which it will. Of course the 1/8", 1/4", 3/16", etc will have to be sharpened and/or replaced on occasion.

I have a similar 29 piece set (Vermont-American) that has held up well and I just replace the commonly worn bits.
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
conduit dude

Rewards Points: 252

fastenal has a kick ass index. i drill alot of stainless so the co. gets us fastenal stuff. well i did drill alot of stainless...f-ing laid off right now
azsly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsly1 View Post
fastenal has a kick ass index.
They do indeed, with an attendant high price. I have a hard time justifying the high price of a really nice drill index, particularly when the electrician only occasionally needs the odd in-between sizes. We're not machinists, after all. I do buy the envelopes of the common sizes at Fastenal, though. You can get pretty decent prices on the packs of the common sizes of "jobber drills", like 1/4", 1/8", etc.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #13

I bought the 14 piece Dewalt set for $19.95 at HD today. This should do me well. Like others have said, I use specific sized bits often and buy those in bulk, I also use a Unibit often times to get the right size. However, sometimes it's nice to have a fully stocked index for when you need a perfect sized hole.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,262

I have a 60 bit set set from Fastenal it came in a round watertight index that you can hang on your belt if you choose to. WHY ???. It is a nice set however I detest the round index. It is difficult to read the sizes and for me it is hard to distinguish between the sizes.
LC
Lone Crapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Crapshooter View Post
I have a 60 bit set set from Fastenal it came in a round watertight index that you can hang on your belt if you choose to. WHY ???. It is a nice set however I detest the round index. It is difficult to read the sizes and for me it is hard to distinguish between the sizes.
LC
I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for you real cheap, deal?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #16

I use it in my shop so I tolerate it. I just wanted others to know that it was real pain to use and not to make the same mistake I did.
LC
Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Crapshooter View Post
I use it in my shop so I tolerate it. I just wanted others to know that it was real pain to use and not to make the same mistake I did.
LC
60 bits is a lot, seems like it would be heavy to keep on your belt. Sounds like a good kit though.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #18

Never hung it on my belt. I do not why anyone would.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 604

The 60 bit set is nice because it has all the in-between sizes, many of which you need to drill for taps. Also to drill one or two size bigger than conventional for a bit of play.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:15 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 250

Get one of these, http://www.drilldoctor.com/ They're relatively cheap. You can continue to keep your bits sharp and not have to replace them when they dull.

I dont understand why more shops dont buy them. They work really well.
Adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote